Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

95 Integra LS head removal/trouble shooting DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Integra LS head removal/trouble shooting DIY

Like title states. I need some trouble shooting assistance. This past weekend I replaced my head gasket.(prior to replacing gasket I sent head to be resurfaced and bought new fel-pro head gasket set, water pump, thermostat and timing belt kit.) everything went smooth .THE ONLY THING I DID REUSE WAS MY LS HEAD STUDs. Torqued them to spec 61lb. I turned on my car. Filled her up with coolant. Drove around and let her sit overnight . I drove to work and when I arrive I see a pool of water under my car. Check the hood and sure enough my lower radiator hose burst. Why? I changed the hose and later drove home. I tried bleeding my coolant but it won't fill. It just keeps bubbling at the radiator mouth and going somewhere??. It never overheated and all together I drove the car less than 40miles since. A buddy tells me that I need new head studs? But says I can reUse my head gasket?

Any advice
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: 95 Integra LS head removal/trouble shooting DIY

re-using head studs is iffy imo I've removed mine idk how many times compression still pushed 230 psi. but if you have the money ARP's are good too but if things are fine just leave them.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the thing. I want to know weather using new headstuds and reusing the head gasket will fix my problem. Or will I have to buy new arp head studs for 130$. New head gasket 60$. And resurface again? (25$ dollars). Also when the head got resurfaced I had them do a pressure check and they told me head had no crack.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located and where do you get it resurfaced at? Lol the machine shop around me cost i think 70.

But anyways, since it is only an Ls, i would say reusing your head studs is okay. I'm assuming it's only been removed once. I've reused my old Ls head studs, also only removed once and compression was 175 across with no issues.

"I see a pool of water under my car. Check the hood and sure enough my lower radiator hose burst. Why? "

-I would just say this is a coincidence. Nothing related to the job you just finished.

"I tried bleeding my coolant but it won't fill. It just keeps bubbling at the radiator mouth and going somewhere??"

- Since there was a "pool" of coolant, you must've lost a good deal amount of coolant. Just keep filling up. Unless you're still leaking and unless there is a great deal of white smoke coming out of your exhaust, you'll be fine.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nicknack25
Where are you located and where do you get it resurfaced at? Lol the machine shop around me cost i think 70.

But anyways, since it is only an Ls, i would say reusing your head studs is okay. I'm assuming it's only been removed once. I've reused my old Ls head studs, also only removed once and compression was 175 across with no issues.

"I see a pool of water under my car. Check the hood and sure enough my lower radiator hose burst. Why? "

-I would just say this is a coincidence. Nothing related to the job you just finished.

"I tried bleeding my coolant but it won't fill. It just keeps bubbling at the radiator mouth and going somewhere??"

- Since there was a "pool" of coolant, you must've lost a good deal amount of coolant. Just keep filling up. Unless you're still leaking and unless there is a great deal of white smoke coming out of your exhaust, you'll be fine.
Lol I live in long beach. This place I go too called HI-TECH HEADS does resurface for 35$ and pressure check for 35$. I paid 70$ too so you might also be paying for the pressure check like I did. So your saying I could be over reacting! I am not driving the car since I don't want to f*** any thing up. I work 8am-6am and don't get home till about 7pm driving but since I'm on the train I get home around 8pm which makes it too late also too tired to work on the car. This weekend I'll sit their and let the car run as I put water in the radiator to see of it's really disappearing or am I just overreacting.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also need to check compression this weekend to see if I am really losing compression in one of my cylinders.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any advice
Old 04-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It does sound like your fine just do as nicknack said and check under your car again for more leaks or your exhaust for white smoke if u do not have any of these keep bleeding the system with the heat on full blast.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by existanzcivicb20
It does sound like your fine just do as nicknack said and check under your car again for more leaks or your exhaust for white smoke if u do not have any of these keep bleeding the system with the heat on full blast.
Okay. I will check for any other existing leaks. I will keep filling her up. I will report back afterwards. If any one else has any other advice please comment before this thread is buried under millions of others . At least till my update this weekend hopefully.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so last weekend I bleed my water and I have been driving my car 30-45 miles a day since. I have not seen any coolant or oil mixture. No coolant or oil loss as well. Seems things are good. I did notice that after a long drive the top radiator hose is really hard is that normal. Should I be concerned. If your wondering my thermostat is working properly. My lower radiator hose is heating up. It's not hard like my top one tho