Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Less bushing/bearing defection=more stress on suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Less bushing/bearing defection=more stress on suspension ?

Since the car has taken a change in things form>function I sold my components with spherical bearings and got some ES polly ones. Thing is I feel like the arms just swing freely and ALOT more of the cars weight is now on my coil overs F/F T1's. I'm not switching over to HR as I already paid to get these and have them pressed in, anything I could do to prevent the car from slamming over bumps 10/6K rates.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Less bushing/bearing defection=more stress on suspension ?

You either didn't get the car aligned after putting in the poly bushings....or your car is so low that it's riding on bumpstops (if those coils are just spring perch adjustable.)

Or both.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Poly bushings make the car ride so badly. Feels like a skateboard. It kinda flexes/has a little deflection since you're riding on semi-hardened plastic...but you slam into every bump.

Metal bushings would have been more hash.... but more solid at the same time.

For a demonstration of both, hit a metal block with a polyurethane/plastic mallet. Then hit it with a metal hammer. That's the difference in feeling I'm describing.

Seems like you lost interest anyway but good luck. Hopefully this info helps out future inquiries of "I'm thinking about getting poly bushings because I got kicked in the spine by a horse and would like to feel that every day for no reason...."
Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have my 70A mounts so harshness is all ready there and the function and forms don's help much. But I sold my hella-cool stance rims and picked up some DR-21's with brand new BFG Rivals!. so if you're going for all out handling a no ***** about comfort the polly ones win no ?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 AM

Function/forms are soft. I'm not sure I'd describe function forms and poly bushings as "all out handling". Not tryinna hate. Seems like you change your mind on that car's direction errday and end up spending a fortune buying more and more and more super low end parts with combinations that dont make sense.

No offense.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your build being directed by apple maps? You were all about a track car build, then it turned into a stance build, now we're back to a sort of kind of track car but with parts that won't really help you much if you actually plan to track it. I think you need another integra so you can do two separate builds. You seem to want a track car, but you also like the stanced thing and you're trying to combine both on one car. I think you're going to have a really hard time changing back and forth between the two; which you've probably already figured out on your own.

So what is it that makes you keep changing your mind? Just having a hard time committing to one thing or the other?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 PM

My opinion:

If you buy cheap and disposable parts, you're not commited to them. You're just buying them on a whim....or you buy them and find out how lacking they really are....so you ditch out and move on.

Cheap disposable parts = cheap disposable build.

Irony comes in when you realize how much money you wasted on cheap junk in order to do something you weren't really into in the first place.

It's more cost effective to buy good stuff in the first place.

I don't buy stuff im not really going to love/dont need.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
So what is it that makes you keep changing your mind? Just having a hard time committing to one thing or the other?
All my friends have stanced cars and I do really like the look of maxed negative camber and the wheels poking out of the side lol. I think i'll keep this thing as a fun street car I'm planning on selling it tho and getting a TSX it draws way to much cop attention.

Originally Posted by B serious
My opinion:

If you buy cheap and disposable parts, you're not commited to them. You're just buying them on a whim....or you buy them and find out how lacking they really are....so you ditch out and move on.

Cheap disposable parts = cheap disposable build.
If you're talking about the things I bought for the car's stance period well while they are cheap in general they were still the better items if you wanted to go for that look. I'm aware of how much I lost and it bugs me but I wanted to try it still learning/first car.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Track car > hella flush car. The "stanced" thing is a dying trend anyway. In a few years, it'll be like neon lights and clear tail lights/Acura CL front end conversions. About a year or two ago, it would have been "dope" to build that car. But hey....if you like it, whatever. But like anything else, satisfaction and progression comes from buying the good ****. You never see any long term project/magazine cars/famous internet cars with XXR's.

TSX's are dope, though. Go for a 06-08 tech 6spd. Hard to find....but I heart mines. One of the best cars I ever bought. I threw on a set of Tein SA coils and some wheels and a K20 clutch/flywheel. Might do a Si gearset/LSD and Hondata later this summer. I love that car.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the original question: no. Neither poly nor spherical bushings contribute to wheel rate; i.e. they play no role in holding up the car. They simply locate the suspension arms. The springs are doing the same thing they have always done in holding up 100% of the weight of the car.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Rubber (non floating) bushings have a spring/damper affect because they resist twisting. Think of them as torsional springs/dampers because they aid motion AND resist motion depending on where they are in their travel.

I realize poly/metal bushings float, BTW. So more of the weight management is done by the spring and shock. I used the words "weight management". So I'm not talking about just holding the car up.

Yes, a different type of bushing will affect ride quality in a few ways including NVH, torsional damping, and amount of deflection. Yes, a floating bushing will demand more from a spring and shock. I think he was asking why his car is crashing into bumps. Because poly bushings can result in a worse ride than metal. And he probably did not align the car after re-bushing it.

Last edited by B serious; 04-19-2014 at 06:57 AM.