Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2001 CRV Head Job - to RTV or not to RTV?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2001 CRV Head Job - to RTV or not to RTV?

First time replacing a head gasket. I picked up a Fel-Pro head set (HS 26159 PT) and I want to know whether or not to use a Gasket Sealant. The Fel-Pro torque guide (http://www.felpro-only.com/tec_notes...rque-Guide.pdf) says:

"Use a non-hardening gasket sealer. Sealers are NOT required on FEL-PRO PermaTorque® head gaskets . However, embossed steel shim, copper-faced, or steel-faced gaskets should be coated with a non-hardening automotive gasket sealer as a supplemental seal."

So basically it says to use a sealer, but its not needed, but I should

I've read a lot of people are emphatically against using sealants on head gaskets. What should I do?

Also, how about sealants on the In and Ex mani? Valve cover?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2001 CRV Head Job - to RTV or not to RTV?

weve used copper spray on our new headgasket in all of our builds....
we never had any issues w/ it, weve seen several "cheap" builds that they reused their headgasket,
w/c we dont suggest! w/ the copper spray and it still held a good amount of boost!
so itll be on your own discretion.... Good Luck!!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have never had luck with felpro headgasket in my experience they leaked so copper spray would be a good idea. A better idea would be to get a oem headgasket from the dealership, for sure they do not need sealer. Some will say that fel-pro makes oem hg but no they are totally different. Highly recommend oem
Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

copper spray, no rtv
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 AM
DixielandImports Please

Copper spray
And use Hondabond RTV on everything else.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

read the instructions again. its says do not use sealant of felpro gaskets unless they are the metal/copper type.

I have used felpro head gaskets before plenty of times with success. When they fail its because the head or block is warped past its service limits or you installed the gasket incorrectly i.e. using some kind of sealant on it.

Clean the mating surfaces, put the gasket on right side up and bolt the head down using new head bolts or ARP head studs. dont reuse the head bolts and you will have a long lasting head gasket.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jlk,
My head set did not come with instructions from felpro, by the way, which is why I researched the torque specs online and found the pdf I linked in my original post with the ambiguous language about using a sealant.

My felpro HG is metal. So are the in & ex mani gaskets. Do you still think I should not use copper spray? You're in the minority in this thread, but reading other forums I found this to be a hot debate.

I had the head done at a machine shop and I checked for warpage on my block with a metal straight edge and it looks perfect. (I drive easy - never overheated - and I do warm up laps around my block if I'm driving a short distance.)

I am feeling that I don't really really need to use copper spray, but if it doesn't hurt and if it adds to the sealing power of the gasket, then why not?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda-Tree
jlk,
My head set did not come with instructions from felpro, by the way, which is why I researched the torque specs online and found the pdf I linked in my original post with the ambiguous language about using a sealant.

My felpro HG is metal. So are the in & ex mani gaskets. Do you still think I should not use copper spray? You're in the minority in this thread, but reading other forums I found this to be a hot debate.

I had the head done at a machine shop and I checked for warpage on my block with a metal straight edge and it looks perfect. (I drive easy - never overheated - and I do warm up laps around my block if I'm driving a short distance.)

I am feeling that I don't really really need to use copper spray, but if it doesn't hurt and if it adds to the sealing power of the gasket, then why not?

Dont use copper spray on a felpro gasket. your felpro gasket should have some rubber like material around the oil passages and should be three layers of metal with some other black rubber material on it in various places. These gaskets are advertised to be used for non factory conditions, ie backyard mechanics and will leak if you spray anything on them

Dont spray the other gaskets either. the intake should be a paper like gasket and the exhaust is a crush style metal gasket.

follow the procedures and if you look on the outside of the felpro packaging they usually have some instructions written right on the box.

Ive been around the block much more than most on here and have used these gaskets before. Felpro valve cover and oil pan gaskets specifically say on them "do not use any liquid sealant, apply dry" which contradicts Honda oem gasket instructions but trust me, if you dont follow felpro's instructions you will have leaks.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im nothing close to an engine building expert. my set did not come with instructions. I did not add anything to my hg. I had no idea anyone did. its been fine for many thousands of miles so far in my case.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Copper spray. Who told you to use RTV anyways?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a felpro HG on my B20 and I have a small bit of seepage. nothing to be alarmed about, but if your HG doesnt have viton rubber seals, then a copper spray works great. My buddy builds 500-800HP mustangs and uses it religiously.

Always follow Hondas service proceedures for HG.

ARP studs will be helpful if its a built or modded engine and just a little more then OEM,
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After this heated debate, I went with copper spray. Been driving lightly for two days and my engine is purring awesome, but I know its the long term that will tell whether or not I made the right decision.

I gotta get back behind my timing belt again though cuz the Fel pro crank seal I got from O'Reilly's failed. I knew it looked cheap. I picked up a Beck/Arnley from California Auto Supply in Pomona near my work. It was 3 bucks cheaper and feels way more sturdy. Makes me feel uneasy about my fel pro HG, but the HG looked real good. We shall see!
Old 05-27-2022, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda-Tree
After this heated debate, I went with copper spray. Been driving lightly for two days and my engine is purring awesome, but I know its the long term that will tell whether or not I made the right decision.

I gotta get back behind my timing belt again though cuz the Fel pro crank seal I got from O'Reilly's failed. I knew it looked cheap. I picked up a Beck/Arnley from California Auto Supply in Pomona near my work. It was 3 bucks cheaper and feels way more sturdy. Makes me feel uneasy about my fel pro HG, but the HG looked real good. We shall see!
How did everything hold up?
Old 05-31-2022, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Raul Cipriano
How did everything hold up?
It held up great and ran solid for three years and ~25k more miles before I gave it to my son. Then he ran it out of oil and threw rod on the highway after having it for about 6 months I'm sure my rebuild would have held up for a long time considering how hard he drove it. He put about 15k on it in 6 months apparently doing 90mph on the freeways consistently with absolutely no maintenance, not even an oil change. Ugh, I remember he stood me up on a Father's Day when I was going to help him with a tune up. That still stings, ngl, but he learned his lesson and does really well keeping up with his 2016 Sentra. I do miss my CRV though! RIP

You replacing a head gasket?