Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Is my mechanical timing off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my mechanical timing off?

Changed distributor didn't set timing and started to ping, dizzy was all the way up. Got a timing light and aimed it down on the flex plate. Didn't see the marks so I started to move it down until I started to see them. The arrow on the block needs to be lined up with the red mark right? My dizzy is all the way down and the red mark is like close to lining up. I got so much power back and my engine no longer pings. My engine does not run smoothly. Once at temp you can see it run rough. Compression is even across all 4 at 165 PSI. Is the exhaust cam a tooth off? I've had problems with the mechanical timing being off on the exhaust cam when I bought my car last year. It didn't start cause of that, but I had someone fix it so it could start. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my mechanical timing off?

Jack the car up on one side (driver I think), put it in gear, turn the tire.. ensure the belts are turning.

Take off your valve cover.

I think it's Cyl1, take out the spark and put some ratchet extensions together (longest one goes in the hole) turn the tire until the extensions go all the way up, that's TDC .. when it's at the VERY top, ensure the cam gears are both pointing straight up.

If not, that's your issue.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When you adjust the dist. with a timing light, you need to have the service connector under the dash jumped. If you did not, the ecu was trying to adjust timing while you moved the dist, so it won't set right.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
When you adjust the dist. with a timing light, you need to have the service connector under the dash jumped. If you did not, the ecu was trying to adjust timing while you moved the dist, so it won't set right.
It was jumped
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In that case, it would be wise to check the mechanical timing. Very possible for something to happen and have the belt skip a tooth on a cam gear.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
In that case, it would be wise to check the mechanical timing. Very possible for something to happen and have the belt skip a tooth on a cam gear.
I went aligned red mark on flexplate with pointer and took out spark plug, #1 Piston is all the way up and the marks are in the "UP" position, but I noticed the grooves on the right of the exhaust and left of the intake cams don't line up, aka the TDC marks the picture points too with the head or together. Since my distributor is all the way down, I'm guessing retarded, and since the mark on flexplate is not yet close to lining up, I'm guessing the mechanical timing is a bit advanced? Gonna have my timing belt, water pump, and tensioner changed soon. Hopefully it solves my engine running rough issue. Compression even at 165 across all 4. Checked for vacuum leak at intake man. Checked intake mani gasket it's fine. Tune up, wires and plugs NGK. Fuel pressure is good. Last thing it might be is timing.