Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Intake question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake question...

I bet there have been many discussions about modifying the air intake on a 4G, and I see for sale many kits, with varying tales of their worth and efficiency.

It seems to be that removing the resonator might help, in that it must surely restrict the airflow, but mounting a new filter inside the engine bay also surely isn't a good thing as it'd be warm air that's drawn in.

But what about an arrangement that took air from behind one of the 'nostrils' via a pipe, then forced it over the surface of a cone type air filter? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Has anyone tried this?

A
Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Intake question...

Not sure what 4g you're talking about, but yes more air is a good thing. On my 5th gen accord I have a ram intake with two dams going in...one from the lower grille and the other via hood scoop. I can't say you'll see big gains in power however you will get the cool whoosh sound, and maybe a slight power increase and as you said warm air is not a good thing
Old 04-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean a '96 4th gen Prelude.

I'd be interested to see a pic of your setup!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll get one within the next day or so, she's all torn apart right now as I had a bit of an overheating issue...fun story, overflow cap came off so I ended up losing most of my coolant without notice until the gauge went higher than normal, opened up the hood and thought the overflow was my only problem and it was too hot to pull the rad cap so I put it back together and the temp went back down, kept driving and then the temp gauge pegged...coasted into my garage and found that the radiator was bone dry. Went into panic mode and started checking the oil and pulling plugs to do a compression test, everything checked out ok so now I'm just waiting for her to cool. Thank god for honda reliability. Any pics of the 'lude?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found some pics i took while i installed the hood scoop, dont have any of the air dam
Old 04-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before

during

after (dont have a close-up)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Alinton
I bet there have been many discussions about modifying the air intake on a 4G, and I see for sale many kits, with varying tales of their worth and efficiency.

It seems to be that removing the resonator might help, in that it must surely restrict the airflow, but mounting a new filter inside the engine bay also surely isn't a good thing as it'd be warm air that's drawn in.

But what about an arrangement that took air from behind one of the 'nostrils' via a pipe, then forced it over the surface of a cone type air filter? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Has anyone tried this?

A
Basically anything that is not a true cold air, which means it has the filter in the engine bay will suck warm air. You can heat wrap you exhaust manifold and remove the splash guards to keep the bay cool. There are a 100 different set ups you can do, 90 percent are just a ram intakes. Theres also Ice-Box intakes, power chamber, have the filter pop out the hood, or located where a headlight is.

Bottom line is theres almost no intake that will give you noticeable gains by itself. They change the sound of the car for sure, but really they just compliment other mods.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once the weather stays consistent the hood will be wrapped with 3m di-noc carbon fiber vinyl