Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

New Fit Owner - Extra Key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fit Owner - Extra Key?

I bought my first Honda recently, a 2007 Fit with 54k miles. It came with only one key so I went to have another one made. $225 say the Honda dealer. $225!! This is not a good start (no pun intended). What is so unique about this car that it would require a $225 key? Is there any way around it? TIA.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New Fit Owner - Extra Key?

Short answer is no. They have to be programmed to function with the electronic system in the car. They are not just keys anymore.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I know they are not just keys anymore. So, without any competition Honda decides to take the customer to the cleaners? Nice.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you could have gotten BOTH keys Honda supplies with the car and avoided the problem.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not when the prior owner did not have them to give me. You're the friendly, helpful type, aren't you claymore?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More so than you. I have all my keys unlike you. And it's not Hondas fault you didn't get all your keys they are not out to "GET" you keys are not just keys anymore do you expect them to LOOSE money replacing your key?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Local locksmiths are equipped to make programmable keys, nowadays. Even my local full-service Ace Hardware store can make programmable keys, and far more economically than at a Honda dealership, and starting with only one key. I had a Ford, and the Ford policy that you had to have both keys to get another one without enduring a truly arcane ration of mumbo-jumbo from them. My advice to you is to ask around locally.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sarge_74
Local locksmiths are equipped to make programmable keys, nowadays. Even my local full-service Ace Hardware store can make programmable keys, and far more economically than at a Honda dealership, and starting with only one key. I had a Ford, and the Ford policy that you had to have both keys to get another one without enduring a truly arcane ration of mumbo-jumbo from them. My advice to you is to ask around locally.

Start with the above, highlighted in bold. The Ace Hardware closest to you can program the immobilizer in your "chip" key, however they may not have the tooling to machine your key blank.

My advice would be as follows:

-Buy OEM key blank from eBay ~ $25
-Have key cut at local Honda dealer (just cut not programmed) ~ $25
-Have Ace Hardware program your immobilizer chip (they have a chip copier)
-Program Keyless Entry yourself (simple, instructs easily found online)

Total cost should be about $125.

I've gone this route when I was making custom keys for two of my cars, minus the programming. I bought my own key programmer, used it, then sold it. I'll admit that was a hassle, so I would recommend trying to negotiate a special rate with your local Ace/True Value/Locksmith just to get the chip copied. They would be more than willing to help you, shouldn't be more than $50.

When you get your key cut at the dealer, just know what you are talking about and fully acknowledge that getting your key blank cut will not unlock the car nor will it allow you to start it. You'll need proof of registration for the dealer to cut the key.

Best of luck and congrats on the new purchase!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Sarge and Mister Clean. I didn't see your posts in time, but they may be very helpful to others in the future that read this. I had been told that there is something very unique about the 2007 Honda Fit Sport. Two Honda dealerships at first told me that the key would be less than $100, but then looked it up and shook their heads in amazement and said that the 2007 Honda Fit Sport required a unique key and it would cost as follows: blank/uncut key ($180) + programming ($70) + cutting ($15) + tax.

I found a guy on eBay (basneyparts), that I am not affiliated with, that sold me the blank, uncut key (genuine Honda part)for $109 -no tax - free shipping. I knew this would be the correct key blank because it had an identical FCC number on it (FCC ID= OUCG8D-380H-A) to the key that I already owned. I took it to the dealer and he cut it, and programmed it for the amounts mentioned above. I saved $71 + 10% tax with this approach. I may stop by an Ace, or call a locksmith to see what they could have done because I am curious if they could handle what appeared to be a odd situation.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Follow up: I stopped by Ace. They could not handle it. They have no access to key blanks for the Fit Sport '07.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Trial User

Here is another way to handle new keys: First, there are the two key options; the simple key (opens the doors and starts the car; no keyless entry buttons; works on the base or sport) and the keyless entry key (works on all sports or on bases that have had the factory keyless entry kit added).

1. Buy whatever key blanks you need from ebay. Simple keys are about $10; Keyless entry keys are $100-150 new on ebay. However, you can also sometimes get salvage keys used and buy another case for them and transfer over the internals.
2. Have them cut and programmed by a local Honda dealer. My local dealer charged me $80 to cut and program an unlimited number of keys.

I had this exact situation. Bought a car with 1 keyless entry key; the dealer wanted to charge $55 for simple keys, $225 for smart keys plus the $80 programming fee. I got three simple keys for $30, paid the dealer $80 to cut/program. The dealer warned me they keys might not work, but they do.

I too tried ACE and a local locksmith for keying/programming, but they were not helpful.