Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

What oil are you guys using to lower consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What oil are you guys using to lower consumption?

My friends wife has an 08 auto, and needed a quart between changes. He also switched to the Penzoil Platinum and this oil change he didn't have to add any.

As for my fathers car the last oil change it took 1 quart at 4k. It has def gone down. The oil is a little dirtier than I'd like but I feel it's just doing its job cleaning up the engine.

Penzoil Ultra is in there now and it's a very high detergent oil for unsurpassed cleaning.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would anyone recommend putting heavier weight in to stop the oil from burning so quickly?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it's more stress on the oil pump. These engines have very tight tolerances.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 04 6mt with 95k miles, all oil changes at Acura and have never needed to add oil.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
First, I thought it was because he was getting his oil changed at the dealership. They have (bulk oil) 5w20.
You're right. Chances are the bulk oil has already built-up sludge in your engine and once it is established no matter what type of oil used will not resolve the issue, meaning your engine continue to quietly burn oil unless you make an oil change very very often with high quality oil such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra and it will take several changes for the cleanup to make effect. Or you can short cut by using an Engine Flush additive that run about 5-10 minutes (never drive your car with that) and then you flush the dirty oil out. Put fresh oil with new filter and you're done. Once your engine is clean, never return back to the dealer and continue using high quality oil afterward.

You can do a test to determine if your engine really has sludge without a need to open the upper cover to see. After you have changed new oil and has driven about 1000-1500 miles then check the dipstick (when engine cold) and if you see 2 layers on the dipstick, usually the clear oil on the upper layer and the dark dirty oil on the lower layer then you have sludge. Because if you have a clean engine then your oil still stay clean along the dipstick based on a very small distance driven so far after new oil change.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another oil thread. First request an oil analysis kit from www.blackstone-labs.com. Send them your oil when it's due for it's next oil change along with some notes about how the car is consuming oil. They will send you back a used oil analysis which is invaluable imo (should be around 30 bucks).
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my 09 tsx has burned oil for awhile now. I'm at 120,000 miles now, but that's the only problem i have ever had so can't really complain. love my car
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheEagles
You can do a test to determine if your engine really has sludge without a need to open the upper cover to see. After you have changed new oil and has driven about 1000-1500 miles then check the dipstick (when engine cold) and if you see 2 layers on the dipstick, usually the clear oil on the upper layer and the dark dirty oil on the lower layer then you have sludge. Because if you have a clean engine then your oil still stay clean along the dipstick based on a very small distance driven so far after new oil change.
theirs no way you pull that dipstick at 1000 miles and the oil is still clear. I have been working on cars for a long time and you can never get out all of the old oil and as soon as it runs through the engine its no longer "clear"