Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Intermittent SRS Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intermittent SRS Indicator Light

My SRS indicator light on my recently purchased 2003 Civic LX was on three weeks ago. I did not read the code. Per the shop manual, I erased the DTC memory. The SRS indicator light went off and stayed off for three weeks. Yesterday I remember messing a little with the upper support of the driver's seat belt while sitting at a stop light. I parked the car, went into a grocery store, came out, started driving, and the SRS indicator light came on and stayed on, after three weeks of being off.

Update, November 12:
This past week I finally figured out how to read the SRS code correctly with homemade tools. See https://sites.google.com/site/ellessite/, or download the attachment herein. Code 9-3 was being thrown intermittently. This code translates to "faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch." Reports on the web indicate it is pretty common.

For those not handy, here are some symptoms that might help you recognize that 9-3 is likely being thrown: The last time I got the code, I had started the car with my seat belt undone. I saw the SRS light come on and stay on. Curiously the seat belt indicator light was off, though. I fastened my belt and started driving. I momentarily unfastened my belt, and the seat belt light came on, as it is supposed to. But I think the fact that the seat belt light was originally off when it should have been on is a clue that 9-3 is the code being thrown.

After I re-set the SRS memory and so cleared the light, I tried to turn it on again by wiggling the seat belt buckle. This did indeed turn on the SRS light.

Once, when the SRS light went on, it went off a day later. I had done nothing in between.

My dealer was terrific. My dealer does not charge for reading codes, regardless of which code it ends up being. They said if it was the seat belt, it was very likely covered under the seat belt lifetime warranty.They read the code within 20 minutes, confirmed that 9-3 was being thrown, and ordered the replacement part. All labor and parts are covered under the aforementioned warranty. The part arrived today (part #04816-S5D-A12ZD, costing about $145 + s/ha at bkhondaparts.com as of this writing). Replacement took about 1.5 hours from the time I pulled up to the time my Civic was ready. The service advisor said he had seen this problem many times, just as many reports on the web attest. I paid nothing but my time to get this fixed.

Interestingly, another member of the service department said that the buckle switch is supposed to wear periodically [every several years?], so owners are forced to replace the buckle (unless they want to live with a permanent SRS indicator light) and so ensure the integrity of the belt.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
EllesSiteSRSGuide.pdf (308.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by honda.lioness; 09-08-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: The copy and paste of my SRS Guide from my site did nor preserve formatting. I attached the guide's pdf file instead.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intermittent SRS Indicator Light

Thanks this very detailed; helped me fix mine. I notice you said you have the shop manual, can you please share it with me. thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by laudarch
Thanks this very detailed; helped me fix mine. I notice you said you have the shop manual, can you please share it with me. thanks
For a shop manual, purchase one from here: http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...lm&class_2=AHM
Old 02-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright Ive had it with this damn issue. I spent half an hour in my car just now with a paper clip and always get to the point of it blinking twice. Then i turn ignition switch to off and wait ten seconds ...

No-one on youtube and even in this description accurately explains what to do after waiting ten seconds! Wait ten seconds for what? To pull the jumper (paper clip or home made jumper) out, or to start it up then pull the jumper out??? Point #8 here is incomplete!

Yes or no, do you leave the paperclip or home made jump toggled while starting it up after waiting ten seconds? Or do you remove it before starting the car after waiting ten seconds ..
Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Happened to me also, intermittent SRS light, multiple resets, ended up reading the code using the paperclip method, then testing the driver seatbelt latch by slowly inserting and releasing my seat belt and getting the seatbelt light to stay off when the belt was unlatched. Found out the seatbelts on the 7th gen was a lifetime warranty item, took it in and they tested and ordered the part. Dealer replaced the whole latch assembly and the light has been off for the last year straight!
Old 02-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kielohawk
Happened to me also, intermittent SRS light, multiple resets, ended up reading the code using the paperclip method, then testing the driver seatbelt latch by slowly inserting and releasing my seat belt and getting the seatbelt light to stay off when the belt was unlatched. Found out the seatbelts on the 7th gen was a lifetime warranty item, took it in and they tested and ordered the part. Dealer replaced the whole latch assembly and the light has been off for the last year straight!
Unfortunately for me, the dealerships are retarded in Canada and don't honour that warranty. Rediculous
Old 03-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info! Thanks for the tips/tricks.
Light went out
Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are nice, some dealers in Canada will pay for the driver's seatbelt buckle while you pay for the labour.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had this fixed 3 months ago on my 2004 Civic. I went to the dealership, told the Service Rep I had the 9-3 code, he verified it and replaced it free under warranty.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 2008 accord coupe, can i use the paper clip method to reset SRS light? is the yellow plug near the fuse box?
Old 12-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no there is none of that I found out!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Canadians are smart and here is how I fixed it. Take the seat out and traced the wires and found 2 wires broken due to everyday back and forth movement of the seat and the conduit has a sharp edge that acted like a knife. When i saw the broken wires i was very relieved as the solution became very easy - soldered them back, shrinked-tube it and called it a date. If you have access to a SRS scanner (not like a cheap regular scanner, srs capable scanner will cost you >$200 ) you can reset the memory. If you don't reset it it, the light will still go out but the message will still stay in memory just hidden.