Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

How long do you have to wait to wash car after paintjob

Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you have to wait to wash car after paintjob

Just got my car repainted, how long do i have to wait till i can wash it?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: How long do you have to wait to wash car after paintjob (91b16acrx)

Depends on the quality of the work and the paint.

My friend and I painted my car on a Saturday last summer, and the next day we washed it, wetsanded, buffed, and waxed.

The whole "wait 1/2/3/x-number of months before washing" is a bunch of BS if you ask me.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do you have to wait to wash car after paintjob (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on the quality of the work and the paint.

My friend and I painted my car on a Saturday last summer, and the next day we washed it, wetsanded, buffed, and waxed.

The whole "wait 1/2/3/x-number of months before washing" is a bunch of BS if you ask me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
oic i always thought it was acouple of weeks, the guy that painted my car wet sanded and buffed the car in the same day he painted it
Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do what i did..wait a month to wash, and 3 months to wax...You have to let the paint cure!!! Your going to want to wash it once it gets dirty but just wait it out man. I know how it is i got my car painted 4 months ago.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKhatch219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhatch219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do what i did..wait a month to wash, and 3 months to wax...You have to let the paint cure!!! Your going to want to wash it once it gets dirty but just wait it out man. I know how it is i got my car painted 4 months ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>
y do yo have to wait longer to wash it than wax it?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91b16acrx)

paint will dry overnight, it is fine to wetsand, buff, wash, and wax the next day
Old 08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (i rock the sohc)

i see
Old 08-07-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (91b16acrx)

try this forum http://autobody101.com/forums there are some very knowledgeable people there.

or, ask the shop that painted your car what they recommend, or any shop for that matter
Old 08-07-2005, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (5STAR3)

the body shop that did my car said 1 month, although they buffed it one week after the pain dried. I don't get what the difference would be, but the guy said it had something to do with ingredients in the soap that would mess with the clear coat. Waxing I heard shouldn't be done for a couple months to let the paint "breathe."
Old 08-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alfaaay)

interesting, so if i wax. my car paint will get messed up right now, its only been a week
Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
TRIAL USER

Default Re: (alfaaay)

Originally Posted by 91b16acrx
interesting, so if i wax. my car paint will get messed up right now, its only been a week
Yes if you wax your car right after painting it, it will mess up the clear coat. Clear coat doesn't actually " cure" for a long time...but the longer it's been since painting, the stronger the clear coat will be. There is a chemical in wax that is well known to destroy the clear coat and causes it to lose it's gloss plus durability. I forgot the actual name of the chemical in it, but that's the reason why a can of wax is never allowed in or around the paint booth in paint shops.
The least amount of time you should wait before waxing the new paint job is at least two months to be on the safe side....or at least that's how long i wait. It's possible to wait just one month but I always waited two months.

As for washing the car after a paint job, you do need to wait at least 20 days to be on the safe side considering the clear coat is not fully cured yet and that it is weak and prone to damage. Most detergents like " dawn soap" contains citrus to cut grease which is a form of acid from fruit, while car wash detergents are a little lighter. Using any kind of detergent to wash your newly painted car before the paint job has time to cure and become stronger is a great risk to your new paint job. A good example is back when i was auto body collision and repair class. We painted a classmate's father's car and it came out beautiful, not a single mistake. The classmate was told on the second day to drive it straight to their house and park it in the garage. A week later, the father called us up very mad about the paint job - he said it was horrible and stuff was sticking to it all over the place. Upon investigating what happened, we found out that the classmate stopped at the family's restaurant and used the dish washing detergent to wash the car before driving it to the garage. That detergent was able to cut through the layer of freshly painted clear coat and destroyed a chemical ingredient known as " hardener" therefore keeping the clear coat from fully curing. When we drove to see the car, as we were talking to the father, we watched a piece of pollen fall from a tree and stick straight to the paint job. We had to use a scraper to literally scrape the "jelled" feeling clear coat off the car. After all was said and done, we had to start from the beginning...again.

As for wet sanding and buffing, this can be done 24 or 48 hours after painting a car depending if the paint was baked with uv lights afterward, or if the paint job was allowed to sit in the sun for a while to bake. Wet sanding with plain water and buffing is great right after painting because the clear coat is soft and cuts easily...allowing rubbing compound and sand paper to easily level rough spots in paint jobs. DO NOT use " polishing" compound unless if you know what is in the polishing compound. Some polishing compounds contain wax which leads back to the chemical known in wax to destroy un-cured clear coat.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do you have to wait to wash car after paintjob

You just answered a ? from 2005, lol the guy probably have got his answer by now ya think...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol way to bump a 5 year old thread AWSOME!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lmfao.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It took 5 years to get a legit answer.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Trial User

Just wait a month, and don't be impatient...better safe then sorry.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marqef619
Just wait a month, and don't be impatient...better safe then sorry.
It's been 8 years... lol
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think OP washed his car yet...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know its old thread but so that someone gets a good answer, you shouldnt high power wash it for atleast 3 months. you can wetsand buff and wash, just no heavy up close power washing
Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually you shouldnt use any car wash that contains wax for the first 30 days. It will allow vapers from the thiner and such to be traped in the clear coat and not allow it to escape. General rule of thumb is 30 days to wax, and only dish soap for the first 30 day with a wait of 15 days to wash at all. Cutting and buffing wont affect anything and wont trap anything in the clear.

I am just adding info here
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the more important question to ask is why would washing it be harmfull?I am also going to say my .02 is the washing wait time will vary depe nding on ambient temps.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Actually you shouldnt use any car wash that contains wax for the first 30 days. It will allow vapers from the thiner and such to be traped in the clear coat and not allow it to escape. General rule of thumb is 30 days to wax, and only dish soap for the first 30 day with a wait of 15 days to wash at all. Cutting and buffing wont affect anything and wont trap anything in the clear.

I am just adding info here
Never wash cars with dish soap, i will destroy your paint, another thing i want to add about washing cars is that i wouldnt wash it when sun is at its hottest time of the day, it will be just like burning the paint off
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have washed thousands of cars with dish soap for customers after painting... not one problem