Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Suspension & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
OmarR
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (4)
Default Question about pressing in front bearing

I got front wheel bearings pressed today. I noticed the plastic seal on the bearing is facing outwards on one knuckle and inwards on another. From the factory, the plastic seal is facing away from the car. Does it make a difference that one knuckle has the bearing the other way around.

Pics to what I'm referring to:

plastic side of bearing faces towards car
Click the image to open in full size.

plastic side of bearing faces away from car
Click the image to open in full size.
OmarR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
Pullig
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Pullig chrispullig
Send a message via AIM to Pullig
Default Re: Question about pressing in front bearing

According to the manual it does matter. Plastic side out. One side is a 2 piece bearing the other is a 1 piece
Pullig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
sweesiong78
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullig View Post
According to the manual it does matter. Plastic side out. One side is a 2 piece bearing the other is a 1 piece
yep bring it back and make them press it out and back in the correct way plastic side away from the car.
Attached Images

sweesiong78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
OmarR
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Will the bearing be damaged if it's pressed out and back in again?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
sweesiong78
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarR View Post
Will the bearing be damaged if it's pressed out and back in again?
it should not if they use a hydraulic press and the right sized bearing driver. it if was already on the axle than the inner race would come out but the knuckle has not been installed yet right?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
OmarR
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweesiong78 View Post
it should not if they use a hydraulic press and the right sized bearing driver. it if was already on the axle than the inner race would come out but the knuckle has not been installed yet right?
Correct, I haven't installed the knuckle, was going to today but this holds back my plans.

Also, do you know the reason why the seal should face outwards? I'd like to have a clear reason for the bearing to be flipped around so the shop guy can't say something like it doesn't matter which way the bearing faces.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
sweesiong78
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarR View Post
Correct, I haven't installed the knuckle, was going to today but this holds back my plans.

Also, do you know the reason why the seal should face outwards? I'd like to have a clear reason for the bearing to be flipped around so the shop guy can't say something like it doesn't matter which way the bearing faces.
looking at the diagram both races are symmetrical so it MAY not matter, I read somewhere that the reason why they have a rubber side is just that during manufacture the assemble it from the metal seal side up, and then press the rubber seal into place.

I suppose you could insist to your mechanic that that's the way the service manual says it should be put on and then hope he is not too stubborn/grouchy....but I guess it depends how soon you need the knuckle on your car as well.

submit to reddit