Notices

First Swap and boost suggstions

Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Swap and boost suggstions

Alright so finally getting around to first swap and boost wanted suggestions on my plans already have bare block these are my plans any suggestions would be awesome Car will be used for street/Time attack& auto x hp goal 230 whp-180 trq

B18b1 stock block
Stock ls crank
Rods: looking at the eagles but was wondering if anyone has any reviews on the new skunk2 alpha rods
Pistons: Wiseco .040 over 9:3.1 comp

Head looking at the ls head but was wondering if the p8r head will offer any advantages
will upgrade the valve train with ferrera valves and bisimoto springs

cam: lookin at bisimotos level 2 non vtec cams

Turbo: this is where I need help was looking into the turbonetics t3/t4 60 trim turbo but not sure if that will work well I see a lot of people using garret 50 trim and not to sure on a manifold since I don't have any experience with boost thanks guys
Old 05-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: First Swap and boost suggstions

1) The alpha rods seem to work well with the few setups that have them, it is nice they use ARP2000 rod bolts in them for durability. Either that or the Eagles are fine as they are within the same price point and use.

2) Keep your stock LS head and cams, as there is no advantage in using the Bisimoto , or any other camshaft for the amount of power that you're looking at. Save that money for tuning hardware, software and injectors. No need for P8R head either. no significant advantage, and just more work for you than just the stock head.

3) Keep the turbo down to 50 trim size (47lbs/min) or below for these goals. The 60 trim would actually do you worse.

4) Manifold, all depends upon whether or not you want to keep a/c , p/s full size radiator, and the like. for small turbochargers keep it to tubular log manifolds with 38mm or internal wastegates.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
1) The alpha rods seem to work well with the few setups that have them, it is nice they use ARP2000 rod bolts in them for durability. Either that or the Eagles are fine as they are within the same price point and use.

2) Keep your stock LS head and cams, as there is no advantage in using the Bisimoto , or any other camshaft for the amount of power that you're looking at. Save that money for tuning hardware, software and injectors. No need for P8R head either. no significant advantage, and just more work for you than just the stock head.

3) Keep the turbo down to 50 trim size (47lbs/min) or below for these goals. The 60 trim would actually do you worse.

4) Manifold, all depends upon whether or not you want to keep a/c , p/s full size radiator, and the like. for small turbochargers keep it to tubular log manifolds with 38mm or internal wastegates.
1) Awesome took a tour of skunk2 was shown a set and have seen a lot of advertisement wanted to see how they held up

2). well my hp numbers are the lowest I would want out of this build if I broke the 250whp range and 200 ftlbs that would be awesome that would be more than enough for small tracks

3) Makes sense any sugggestions on which turbo I would like to start mapping potential canidates to see which is best

4) well my ej1 already dosent have ac so that is not a factor I would like to keep power steering so any suggestions on a brand? I here sheepy built is great but pricey
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM

You can use spoolin' Performance or Go-Autoworks for the tubular log manifolds.

Stick with Garrett. GT3251B Journal bearing, T3/T04E 50 trim (though fitment gets tough), or GT2860RS, or equivalent. Depends upon your budget for a turbocharger (Always use a number, not a "good quality, but won't break the bank", nonsense. That means different amounts to different people.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use spoolin' Performance or Go-Autoworks for the tubular log manifolds.

Stick with Garrett. GT3251B Journal bearing, T3/T04E 50 trim (though fitment gets tough), or GT2860RS, or equivalent. Depends upon your budget for a turbocharger (Always use a number, not a "good quality, but won't break the bank", nonsense. That means different amounts to different people.
Thanks ill start looking into those manifolds
As for my budget for a turbo will be around 1000
Another question I see this long battle of which trans I hear the ls is good for the boost cuz of longer gearing but how much does it really help
Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ej1_Łopez
Thanks ill start looking into those manifolds
As for my budget for a turbo will be around 1000
Another question I see this long battle of which trans I hear the ls is good for the boost cuz of longer gearing but how much does it really help
That's a myth.. and a BIG mistake. You don't "stay in boost longer". You're actually not accelerating while in positive pressure. Keep the GS-R or B16. If you have a Type R, even better.

But don't fall for THAT nonsense.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a myth.. and a BIG mistake. You don't "stay in boost longer". You're actually not accelerating while in positive pressure. Keep the GS-R or B16. If you have a Type R, even better.

But don't fall for THAT nonsense.
Awesome thanks for the great advice as my build slowley comes along I'm sure ill have some questions