It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b18a1 600hp build

This topic has went totally off topic lmao
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I mean, I admire him for what he wants to do, however, I simply think he currently lacks the mechanical wherewith all to complete a build of this magnitude.. not just because of his age.. hell at 17 we all thought we knew everything lol

But finances will also be am issue, kudos for having a job though, as they are tough enough to find in the first place and normally kids of your age love to sit around and do nothing. Your build will eat every single dollar you make. (At least the 600hp build) so start small, take a stock bottom enn and go make 275-300 and drive it for awhile, and build your uber motor on the side, that way the car is still drive able

You never stated if this was your daily or just a fun car. If it is your daily then definitely start small as you want the car back on the road with as little downtime as possible

Again no one is hating on you, its just that we've been exactly where you are and we know the kind of roadblocks and setbacks you'll encounter,

My suggestion is to find a local shop and offer to do the bitch work on weekends or something,,, even being there sweeping floors, cleaning spills, doing general whatever they need work will present you with so many learning opportunities, not to mention one day they might need extra help with some builds and that guy could be you..., and have yet even more learning experience and hands on knowledge
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Made it to page 4!!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread is done. To the threadjackers, thanks for ruining a thread with a newb's dream. Nothing wrong with helping him, but man some of you guys are just flat out nasty to newbs.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's going on guys I've been doing a lot of research since I made this post in February. I've changed my goal to the 400-500 range and have made some progress on it. I'll start you off on how far I am. Valve train: b18a1 non vtec head, port and polish, 3 angle valve job, Brian Crower bronze valve guides. I've got super tech valve seals and BC valves and BC dual springs and retainers. I still need to order new valve locks for my piece of mind and then I'll have the head assembled. I haven't decided on which cams I should go with yet. B18a1 block: I just got the block back yesterday from CNC werx in new Hampshire. Had the CSS installed and went ahead and had it decked while it was over there. (Ive yet to see a negative review about the CSS this is why I chose this route) Im ordering my Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons later today when real street performance emails me back. I plan on running 9.6:1 or maybe 10.0:1 compression. Moroso oil pan. Brand new OEM oil pump. Brand new oem gsr oil pump. This motor is going into a 96 DC4 shell that I picked up off craigslist. I plan on driving this car on the street and track. No its not an all out drag car. No e85. Going to run 93 octane. I'm still trying to sell my other car to buy a turbo kit. No I'm not going to slap some eBay kit on this motor. I've learned that you get what you pay for. Still debating on who i get it tuned by. Ive emailed various tuners in the dfw area. (Texas) Anyways this is just some progress that I wanted to show some of you who wanted to see me update this thread. I had to ask Clayton to open it back up. Can we not talk about where I work or Denny's anymore .... all help/ suggestions is appreciated. Cams ? Is there a better compression I should run? Thanks!
Attached Images      
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you are off to a good start now sir. As you know, if you want your car to be reliable please only use quality parts. Even if it means that you will have to wait and save. It will be worth it in the end. Since you are in the Dallas area, I highly recommend Tony at T1 for your tuning sir.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Track Advocate

Originally Posted by lolv8s
all help/ suggestions is appreciated.
i'd get new hardware for the head and probably a new gasket for the im
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

X2

Looks like the hardware came out of a junkyard after a rainy month.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I had pic of the head before I took it to the shop and got the head work done! It didn't look like that at first. They hot tanked it and I guess they didn't dry it off all the way or something. And yeah that's a gasket they gave me at the shop. I'm going to get a hondata one I've read they they help keep temps down.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2000GSRTypeR
Looks like you are off to a good start now sir. As you know, if you want your car to be reliable please only use quality parts. Even if it means that you will have to wait and save. It will be worth it in the end. Since you are in the Dallas area, I highly recommend Tony at T1 for your tuning sir.
Thanks I'll send an email here shortly
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Track Advocate

may have to get extended studs if you opt for one of those thermal im gaskets. just barely fit with my LS and not possible with my B18c
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
may have to get extended studs if you opt for one of those thermal im gaskets. just barely fit with my LS and not possible with my B18c
Hmm good idea. Now I know why they make extended IM studs... doesn't blox make them?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Track Advocate

yup, $25 from JHPUSA
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
yup, $25 from JHPUSA
I'll order those after I get my IM. I am still doing research on which one I should order...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure you clean out the block and head real good of metal shavings.

450whp is pretty straightforwad in an LS, just get a good flowing exhaust/intake manifold, and good cams (cough Crower 404s cough)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Make sure you clean out the block and head real good of metal shavings.

450whp is pretty straightforwad in an LS, just get a good flowing exhaust/intake manifold, and good cams (cough Crower 404s cough)
Yeah I'm going to degrease and power wash the head and block really good. I've heard the 404s are pretty rough on the retainers and they can wear them out in like 10k-20k miles. Are you running 404s? And what intake manifold do you think I should get for that HP range?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lolv8s
Yeah I'm going to degrease and power wash the head and block really good. I've heard the 404s are pretty rough on the retainers and they can wear them out in like 10k-20k miles. Are you running 404s? And what intake manifold do you think I should get for that HP range?
Yes Im running the 404s and the retainers in this motor are about 6 years old, 50k miles of 400+.

I havent seen too many dynos of LS cars with skunk2 intakes and boosted with good cams. All I know is the VictorX worked very well for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
Just to pay for the sleeves and to have them installed with all the machine work you're talking a minimum of $1500, probably more. I doubt sonic pays that well.
whoa I had my sleeving done for 100 per sleeve so total of 400 and the sleeves themselves were 110 or mid open sleeves used on local 600+ hp Hondas. but yea sonic will not be able to pay for a 600whp Honda that is reliable and last a long time. when it does blow prepare for another 2 to 3k. trust man, all the people that I know with reliable built turbo Hondas honestly slang a lot of kush, or have mommy and daddy pay for them, or their a lot older and have no priorities like a wife or kids.

If your in Socal look into the medical marijuana business and maybe a turbo Honda will be a realistic goal as a 17 year old. cuz no joke all the turbo Hondas I know personally which are a handful (all young dudes, early 20s) either grow marijuana or sell it.

also your gonna need a backup car for when bullshit happens like police, thieves, mechanical troubles, or axles. trust man as a 17 year old you should be concerned with school or a better job.

turbo 600whp Honda will eat your wallet, and when your older and cant pay for schooling or are in debt, your gonna be like, "dam why did I spend all that money on a car that blew up within a year, when I could have used it better...."
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and if your thinking about paying someone else for fuel and tuning then prepare to be in debt forever and be broke. you better do the researching and do a lot of reading and experimenting. You need to learn to tune on your own with s300 to save the most money in the end. its really easy. u gota learn to read spark plugs(not rocket science) and have a legit wideband
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes Im running the 404s and the retainers in this motor are about 6 years old, 50k miles of 400+.

I havent seen too many dynos of LS cars with skunk2 intakes and boosted with good cams. All I know is the VictorX worked very well for me.
What type of springs and retainers are you running? 404's are looking better now.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slayer423
whoa I had my sleeving done for 100 per sleeve so total of 400 and the sleeves themselves were 110 or mid open sleeves used on local 600+ hp Hondas. but yea sonic will not be able to pay for a 600whp Honda that is reliable and last a long time. when it does blow prepare for another 2 to 3k. trust man, all the people that I know with reliable built turbo Hondas honestly slang a lot of kush, or have mommy and daddy pay for them, or their a lot older and have no priorities like a wife or kids.

If your in Socal look into the medical marijuana business and maybe a turbo Honda will be a realistic goal as a 17 year old. cuz no joke all the turbo Hondas I know personally which are a handful (all young dudes, early 20s) either grow marijuana or sell it.

also your gonna need a backup car for when bullshit happens like police, thieves, mechanical troubles, or axles. trust man as a 17 year old you should be concerned with school or a better job.

turbo 600whp Honda will eat your wallet, and when your older and cant pay for schooling or are in debt, your gonna be like, "dam why did I spend all that money on a car that blew up within a year, when I could have used it better...."
Read my post earlier I was talking about how I changed the goal to the 400-500 range. Do you yourself know how to tune? My friend at UTI was saying they work with s300 at school every now and then. Hes also building and ls motor like me. He says hes going to tune his car himself. Im going to wait and see him tune his first to see how he does before i would let him touch my car. But he would do it for free. And I do have a back up car. This car won't be a daily driver. More like a weekend car.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Builds looking good, build it while your still at home. Im 22, moved out at 19. Thats when I really started building my GSR. Living on your own and trying to build a quality motor takes time, money and patience. Just a couple months back I finally had it tuned, made 420 to the wheels on WG running the 6262. Im currently saving to upgrade my fuel setup so i can hit 600's myself. Im running S300. I would recommend a good engine management and fuel setup, making power isnt as easy as building a strong motor. I've known guys who made almost 600hp on BONE STOCK GSR's and the only reason they made crazy numbers was because of good engine management and a great tuner. Just take your time. good luck!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if your thinking about paying someone else for fuel and tuning then prepare to be in debt forever and be broke. you better do the researching and do a lot of reading and experimenting. You need to learn to tune on your own with s300 to save the most money in the end. its really easy. u gota learn to read spark plugs(not rocket science) and have a legit wideband
I think we can leave out the life advice lol.

Op, I'm using Crower springs/retainers.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like they hot tanked it and didnt blow it off them didn't spray down with at least wd-40. After you clean everything be sure to spray the cylinders with ad-40 so they don't rust.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think we can leave out the life advice lol.

Op, I'm using Crower springs/retainers.
404s it is for me then.

Quick Reply: b18a1 600hp build