Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Spark plug replacement

Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug replacement

Have 2004 Accord V6 with 111000 miles, I know manual states 105k replacement, am I pushing it by not replaceing at this time car still runs well. I am wondering if gas mileage is falling off slightly, dealer quoted 275.00 to replace plugs my local garage will do it for 175.00 with OEM plugs any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plug replacement

These are super easy to change out plugs that shouldn't run much more than $65 if you did them yourself. Gas mileage would drop especially if the sparkplug tip is worn out, the V6 are picky.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd change them, or get them changed. I did mine at 110k also, but I didn't notice a significant difference in MPG.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swordofdoom
These are super easy to change out plugs that shouldn't run much more than $65 if you did them yourself. Gas mileage would drop especially if the sparkplug tip is worn out, the V6 are picky.
OEM plugs for a V6 will run around $120 for the plugs. Yes, it is fairly straight forward job and anyone with a basic understanding of mechanics could do this themselves (DIY). $175 with OEM plugs is real reasonable for a mechanic to "do it for me" (DIFM)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A guy on another forum is still running his original plugs at 130k+ miles, with no gas mileage drop, so the plugs can go a long time. Whoever does it, make sure they use Denso or NGK long life iridium plugs. Your engine will probably have Denso plugs in it from the factory. I would advise using a torque wrench to install the plugs, because you don't want them too tight or too loose (13ftlbs).
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Steve@Spreen
OEM plugs for a V6 will run around $120 for the plugs.
$120? Are you kidding me? Maybe if you buy them AT the dealer. Any auto parts store with have them for the noted price above of ~$65.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
$120? Are you kidding me? Maybe if you buy them AT the dealer. Any auto parts store with have them for the noted price above of ~$65.
6 plugs for $65? NOT OEM, just cheap platinum plugs. Iridium lazer plugs will be more than that (at least at the local chains around here)....but that's just my opinion, don't mean squat.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Advance auto has the NGK long life iridium plugs for under $10 each. You don't want to buy them from the dealership, or you'll pay $13 or more. Go to the Advance auto online, and check for yourself.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$6.99 for Autolite XP Iridiums x 6 = $41.94 + tax + anti-seize grease = under $65 at autozone.
Only an idiot would pay more for a spark plug that does the same thing at a dealership for $25 a piece. And no it does not have to be an NGK Lazer Iridiums or Pulstars. Although I would stay away from Bosch or Motorcraft.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$6.99 for Autolite XP Iridiums x 6 = $41.94 + tax + anti-seize grease = under $65 at autozone.
Only an idiot would pay more for a spark plug that does the same thing at a dealership for $25 a piece. And no it does not have to be an NGK Lazer Iridiums or Pulstars. Although I would stay away from Bosch or Motorcraft.
You are recommending Autolites for a Honda?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran them before and they run great!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are cheaper plugs that will work, but you'll be changing them twice as often as iridium. The long life iridium plugs last over 100k miles, so I'm sticking with them.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only run NGk plugs in a Honda. You could also run denso but we stick to the NGks at my dealer

I actually had a 01 odessey come in today with a random misfire code after the owner changed plugs in his car a few days ago. Pulled one out and it had NGk coppers. Put some NGk iridium a in and codes never came back
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Sorry, no how, no way would I use Autolite on a Honda, even my son (who works at AutoZone) won't sell them to a customer. As others have said, NGK Laser Iridiums or NDs only... caveat emptor
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since NGK recommends against anti-seize, you can get them for the same or less money than the Autolite plugs plus anti-seize. That makes it a no-brainer.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just changed the plugs in my '03 V6 @75k. I bought the NGK Iridium plugs that were specified by my ALLDATA program, and they cost about $10 apiece. Very easy job, just one bolt to remove the coils from each tube. The rear bank was a little tight, but with the right ratchet, not a problem. Dab a little anti-seize on the threads before installation, and it's really easy. The old plugs, which I assume were factory due to the low mileage, were really white and ashy looking, which suggests the previous owner either beat the **** out of it, or ran regular gas in it, leading to a lean condition. Regardless, the performance has noticeably improved, but gas mileage has remained about the same (20-24mpg). ALLDATA specifies either NGK or Denso iridium plugs, and I bought my NGKs at NAPA. The part number was exactly the same as ALLDATA suggested. I was out the door for $69.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mwaedow
I just changed the plugs in my '03 V6 @75k. I bought the NGK Iridium plugs that were specified by my ALLDATA program, and they cost about $10 apiece. Very easy job, just one bolt to remove the coils from each tube. The rear bank was a little tight, but with the right ratchet, not a problem. Dab a little anti-seize on the threads before installation, and it's really easy. The old plugs, which I assume were factory due to the low mileage, were really white and ashy looking, which suggests the previous owner either beat the **** out of it, or ran regular gas in it, leading to a lean condition. Regardless, the performance has noticeably improved, but gas mileage has remained about the same (20-24mpg). ALLDATA specifies either NGK or Denso iridium plugs, and I bought my NGKs at NAPA. The part number was exactly the same as ALLDATA suggested. I was out the door for $69.
Nice on the plugs...... I'd run some injector cleaner through it, there is something out there I used once years ago, and it made a huge difference in one tank.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Trial User

I didn't notice a significant difference in MPG.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Trial User

Here i am giving the way how to change the spark plug

First cool your engine and then adjust the distance between the two electrodes and Locate the distributor spark-plug cables/wires.
Using masking tape, mark each of these wires for where they connect.
Remove each spark-plug cable, pull the caps and clean all debris from around the plug.
use a spark plug socket and remove each plug from the engine and replace each with a new spark plug. its done.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM

You won't necessarily notice a big difference in mpg just by changing out your plugs. You will however notice when your engine starts to misfire because one or more of your plugs are bad. Changing plugs at 105k mi is preventative maintenance, it prevents you from running your plugs until they dont fire right.

I've never had anything but oem NGK's work right in any of the Hondas I've worked on. I've changed out countless autolite's, bosch's, motorcraft's etc. from cars throwing misfire codes only to fix it with oem NGK plugs.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by yonk
Here i am giving the way how to change the spark plug

First cool your engine and then adjust the distance between the two electrodes and Locate the distributor spark-plug cables/wires.
Using masking tape, mark each of these wires for where they connect.
Remove each spark-plug cable, pull the caps and clean all debris from around the plug.
use a spark plug socket and remove each plug from the engine and replace each with a new spark plug. its done.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Trial User

I need to know what the difference is between NGK1R Spark plugs. Mine came with DILZKR7A, Repairman (Non Honda) changed them with ILZKR7B-11S. Performance is better, but I'm just curious.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to add a little info to this. I just changed my plugs in my 04 accord V6 and it cost $18.95CAD per plug for NGK iridium. I changed them at 203k Kilometers and the ceramic on the factory plugs was all brown and burnt, I couldn't help but think that this would be affecting the fuel economy. The car seems to be better on gas since I changed them.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

better to change them as soon as possible now. otherwise it would definitly make you sick with the additional out of pocket expenses
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mwaedow
No Honda Accord ever requires anything other than regular unleaded. If your plugs are white, your car is running lean. The only Honda that needs premium is the S2000, nothing else does. I would not assume that the previous owner did not replace the plugs. I must admit that my Accord V6 mileage is actually worse than my 1993 Maxima SE which runs premium. The reason the Maxima does better in mixed traffic is it has a 4 sp auto which it always shift to the top gear. My Accord never shift to the 5th gear until the car reaches 50mph. It usually stays on the 4th gear which is why in mixed traffic I only get 23mpg while my older Maxima get 25mpg. The Accord does better on hwy at 30mpg while my old Maxima still gets 28-29mpg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement