Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate > Electronics, Gaming & Photography
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
DaZman69!
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default print from iphone in a car?

As the title states, I am looking to install a home printer into my car, I will purchase a power inverter for it. I would like to be able to purchase your run of the mill inkjet or laser printer/copier/scanner, and print pdf's and possibly text documents while I am on the go.

I don't have a laptop, and I don't really want to buy one just to print simple documents.

Color is not mandatory, so I'd definitely consider a cheap laserjet.

Only thing that is mandatory, is that I want to print from an iphone or android, and being on the road, the printer will not have access to a wireless network. Driving to a wireless network, like starbucks, is out of the question.

I would not mind actually plugging the thing in. I have an iphone now, but may switch to android in the future. I would just like the option to switch phones. So something that only works with apple, like airplay, I don't really want.

I guess my only options are connecting it with a wire, or connecting it via bluetooth. I've never used either system though.

Anybody have any thoughts on what printers to look for?

Also something to consider, anybody have any clue how sensitive home printer to bumping around? They are obviously designed to sit on a desk. The mobile specific printers, like that cops use, seem to be very expensive, and so is the ink. I might only be using this for a year.
DaZman69! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)
Default Re: print from iphone in a car?

If you're doing 100% iOS -

- Air Print
- Air Print approved wireless printer
- cheap A/B/G wireless acess point
- power inverter

Android

- Google CloudPrint (possibly)
- something like HP ePrint (Info)

*Edit* And if you have that power inverter, I'd just toss on a surge strip or something for the wireless router/access point and have everything preconfigured. Ghetto, but would work.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
DaZman69!
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
If you're doing 100% iOS -

- Air Print
- Air Print approved wireless printer
- cheap A/B/G wireless acess point
- power inverter

Android

- Google CloudPrint (possibly)
- something like HP ePrint (Info)

*Edit* And if you have that power inverter, I'd just toss on a surge strip or something for the wireless router/access point and have everything preconfigured. Ghetto, but would work.
oh so I essentially could just create a wireless access point, I didn't think of that

any other less complex options? I wouldn't mind simply attaching a cable to the phone...

I am really uneducated when it comes to networks and am terrible at trouble shooting them. I am worried I would be setting that up for an entire day and just hammer fisting everything when I get error messages.
DaZman69! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZman69! View Post
oh so I essentially could just create a wireless access point, I didn't think of that

any other less complex options? I wouldn't mind simply attaching a cable to the phone...

I am really uneducated when it comes to networks and am terrible at trouble shooting them. I am worried I would be setting that up for an entire day and just hammer fisting everything when I get error messages.
Correct, you don't need internet access for that stuff to work after it's been configured. So you could easily set it up and then just disconnect it and take the AP/router and printer with you.

I'm personally not aware of a usb/bluetooth/etc solution but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
raceACCORDingly
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

On an Android device you can install PrinterShare and then print to a bluetooth printer. Theres probably something like this on the iPhone, I dont own an iOS device so I cant say for sure.
raceACCORDingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
tazeat
Honda-Tech Member
1997 Honda Civic
My Garage

Make sure you have a printer thats designed to be mobile... unless you have a giant power inverter it wont support most printers... especially anything laser.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389136,00.asp

something like one of those, I'd look for bluetooth, dunno apple side of things, but there is software to print to bluetooth printers. What you printing? receipts/invoices or like pictures or what?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
krazn
no one hears me
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to krazn

hmm..i wonder what the cost is for this compared to buying a cheap lap top for 250?

i like the whole real estate on the go thing though.
krazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
raceACCORDingly
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

raceACCORDingly is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit