Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
cctgene
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Honda Accord

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Special bolts for ignition switch –Why?

I’m in the process of replacing the ignition switch on my son’s 96 Accord and it struck me odd that it requires special twist off bolts to hold the switch to the steering column. Anybody know why it was engineered that way?
cctgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
92 civic ex 4dr
Honda-Tech Member
1986 Honda CRX

Default Re: Special bolts for ignition switch –Why?

help prevent theft.
92 civic ex 4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

The switch itself doesn't have those bolts - the steering column has them though. Is that what you're referring to? The switch has 3 ~6mm bolts. The shear-head bolts on the column aren't necessary to replace. You can work around them and/or replace them with regular ones if you need to.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
cctgene
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Honda Accord

The shear bolts on the column was what I was asking about. The switch itself works fine the problem is that the key is stuck. I don't know if the key lock is available by itself, but none of the local auto store carry it, but they all seem to have the combined switch and key lock assembly together in stock. Anyway, I was just curious about the shear bolts. The theft thing makes sense to me, so that’s probably the rational for the special bolts.

Thanks
cctgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

Gotcha, yeah I figured you were going for those. And sorry - I figured you were attempting to replace just the switch which is held on by those three bolts which tends to go bad over time. If you've got a stuck key I think you're going to have to get those guys off.

You can buy replacements ones at the dealer, or I'd recommend just getting some Grade 8 or so bolts from the auto parts place.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
zsiya
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Honda Civic

Have you tried removing the key assembly? On the 4th gen, there is a spring pin on the side of the lock cylinder that removes the lock. May be able to remove/replace just that part.
zsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
holmesnmanny
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctgene View Post
The shear bolts on the column was what I was asking about. The switch itself works fine the problem is that the key is stuck. I don't know if the key lock is available by itself, but none of the local auto store carry it, but they all seem to have the combined switch and key lock assembly together in stock. Anyway, I was just curious about the shear bolts. The theft thing makes sense to me, so that’s probably the rational for the special bolts.

Thanks
I'm almost certain that every parts store has em. It's called Lock Cylinder assembly. What you need to do is to put the key in and turn it to 0 position. Then you will need to use something like a paperclip to push in the button on the inner part of the assembly then the lock cylinder will slide out. You will see the button inside the hole. Just push it in and pull on the key and the lock cylinder will slide out. The lock cylinder assembly will come with the lock cylinder and two keys.

submit to reddit