Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Honda Civic won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda Civic won't start

In Mid December, I went to start my Civic after driving a short distance and parking a short time. It wouldn't start and I had it towed to my mechanic. It started just fine for him the following day and he said that he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I drove the car another 2 weeks and the same thing happened again after driving a short distance and stopping. So, today, it happened again in the morning. I tried to start it a few hours later and it started just fine. Here's the details:
-I have owned the car since it was brand new. 2000 Honda Civic. It now has 159,900 miles on it.
-automatic
-when it fails to start, it makes a sound like it is trying to start. The brake light and battery light light up.
-I can smell gas when I go outside of the car after it fails to start.
-battery was replaced about 6 months ago.
-repairman says that my spark plugs are in good condition.

I love my Honda and want to get the problem fixed. I personally don't have the ability to fix it myself and would like to get some input from others about the possible problem before taking it to another mechanic. I have read this forum and others and have tried to get an idea of possible causes for my car problem. I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Honda Civic won't start

we you say it sounds like it is trying to start, are you saying that the starter is cranking the engine but the engine won't start completely?

If it is happening after short distances, it could be the coil having an intermittent short. But this would happen after driving some distance regularly.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

When the engine dies and won't start, the first step is to check whether the engine has spark at all 4 spark plugs (click Spark link in my signature) and to listen for whether the fuel pump primes when the key is turned from off to ON(II).

Also check for CEL codes. See the Codes sticky at the top.

In the meantime, have AutoZone test the ICM inside the distributor. You'll need to remove it for the test. Also resistance test the coil (see Spark link in my signature).

The link and diagrams below may also help:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...eshooting.html

Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
we you say it sounds like it is trying to start, are you saying that the starter is cranking the engine but the engine won't start completely?

If it is happening after short distances, it could be the coil having an intermittent short. But this would happen after driving some distance regularly.

It is cranking but won't start. I live close to my job and most of the driving I do is city driving and short distances. I typically drive my car daily.

I appreciate the responses.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter on the vehicle? Sounds like the fuel filter is clogged.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by buckeye honda
In Mid December, I went to start my Civic after driving a short distance and parking a short time. It wouldn't start and I had it towed to my mechanic. It started just fine for him the following day and he said that he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I drove the car another 2 weeks and the same thing happened again after driving a short distance and stopping. So, today, it happened again in the morning. I tried to start it a few hours later and it started just fine. Here's the details:
-I have owned the car since it was brand new. 2000 Honda Civic. It now has 159,900 miles on it.
-automatic
-when it fails to start, it makes a sound like it is trying to start. The brake light and battery light light up.
-I can smell gas when I go outside of the car after it fails to start.
-battery was replaced about 6 months ago.
-repairman says that my spark plugs are in good condition.

I love my Honda and want to get the problem fixed. I personally don't have the ability to fix it myself and would like to get some input from others about the possible problem before taking it to another mechanic. I have read this forum and others and have tried to get an idea of possible causes for my car problem. I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.
I just wanted to post an update. It was the coil and has been replaced. Thanks for your responses.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

main relay

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you never replaced that coil until now, you got lucky. Mine lasted about half as long, and when it died, did the same thing except I don't remember a gas smell. Unfortunately mine did it while halfway through a 6 hour road trip when I stopped to gas up. Luckily Lebanon, PA has a Honda dealership that stayed open until 7 since it died around 2PM.

Probably should replace the cap, rotor, and plug wires if you haven't done that either.