Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2007 CRV - TPMS warning light

Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light

So I have just had my CRV for 2 weeks now and the TPMS (Tire Pressure Warning System) light has come on. I understand it means that the pressure in one of the tires is lower than the rest so I checked all tires and inflated them as needed. Been 2 days and light is still on, any ideas or anyone know how to reset it?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light (euangincrv)

the dealer will need to reinialize all sensor to correct your light it should only take about 30 min.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light (euangincrv)

Hmm.. Here's something.. Yes, sometimes intializing the sensors again will fix your problem.. But something that people seem to forget is that when you set tire pressure, it's suppose to be cold. All of our trusty lube techs don't quite understand this. So they set the tire pressure to spec and let it roll out the door. As soon as it gets cold outside, the temp drops and the light turns on.

Then there's the case of gauge calibration. Some guys never check their gauges and set the pressure to spec without knowing that it's still below spec.

The most common problem I see is that some people, advisors, and techs can't tell the difference between the low tire pressure indicator and TPMS light.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light (PnX-R)

The best bet is to take it to the dealership. They should know what to do with it. BTW, there are two indicators for the TPMS system, one for the system itself, and one for an individual tire with low air pressure. There IS a difference, and people don't seem to realize this.

The issue with the initialization not being done (and the yellow indicator with the "TPMS" letters) usually occurs when the PDI techs do not wake the sensors up in the specified order during the PDI. This involves releasing air until the sensor becomes active, then setting the pressure. If this was the case, your best bet would be to have everything reinitialized, the correct way.

The issue with the low tire light being on is due to low air pressure, or a significant drop in tire air pressure, like winter time. This can be fixed by adding air until the light goes out, but presents a problem. It seems the spec for air pressure is sometimes borderline of being considered "low tire pressure" by the control unit, and setting the light off even if the tires are properly inflated. I believe the only way to permanently fix this problem is to use the HDS and change the threshold values for the sensors. A PITA, but probably the way to go. I haven't recently worked with this problem at work, so I haven't tried changing the values yet.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light (bittles110)

There is a service bulletin for these CR-Vs (07-007) I have seen this issue many times.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light (bittles110)

Can you tell us what the initialization procedure is? Other vehicles from other manufacturers have end user procedures for resetting TPMS systems usually involving combinations of button presses, key twsiting, etc.

I bought snows on steel wheels for my 2007 Odyssey last winter along with 4 new TPMS sensors through the Tire Rack last winter. I got a yellow "TPMS" light on the dash that did not go away until I put the original wheels and tires on in the spring. Tire Rack gave me a bunch of stories starting with a claim that the TPMS system will automatically recognize new sensors after a couple days of driving. Then they told me to reset the system according to the owners manual. Of course, I have no TPMS info or control as as the van is an EX-L. Their last advice was to pay the dealer to reset the system. My dealer wants an hour of labor ($95) to make the light go away. This means I'm out $190 + tax every year to swap between summer and winter tires on top of the $200 Tire Rack charged me for the useless sensors.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: (Evil M0nkey)

That's fine. I don't mind performing the process twice a year. How do I initialize the sensors?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 AM

I have the space and the time. Can you tell me what the manual initialization procedure is? The alternative is a $400 OTC TPMS tool and I'm a cheap bastard.

EDIT: Perhaps I need to qualify my request with some background info. The less money I spend at the dealer, the more I have to play at the track. I want to as mechanically self sufficient as possible. I have done ~50 track days with various clubs (PCA, BMWCCA, NASA, PDA) and hundreds of autocrosses. I do all the basic and not so basic maintenance on my cars as well as my family's cars when I have the time. I have replaced clutches, transmissions, and engines. I have installed a roll bar and a cage in a couple track cars.

Modified by VanGoghed at 10:37 AM 11/13/2007
Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil M0nkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda has to do it. And IMO it's a pain to do because you have to drive the vehicle to the middle of nowhere (at least 100 feet away from another TPMS sensor from another vehicle) If you pick up a signal from another passing vehicle or one parked close by you stand a good chance of ruining the TPMS unit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is alot of false info here, we do this all the time in our shop without any issues. and BTW you need to be atleast 10 feet away from another TPMS vehicle.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: (redej878)

Care to share the procedure?

I found this for an '08 Civic, a few posts from the top:
http://www.superhonda.com/foru...26770
"the initialize put the key in the ignition, and leave it in lock.

lower the tire pressure to below 18psi at a lowering rate of at least 1psi a second.

fill the tire back up to spec.

repeat for each tire, one at a time."

Is this correct for an '07 Odyssey? Do I have to do anything to the car to put it into a "learn" mode? Do the sensors need to be activated in a certain order even though the car does not display the location of a tire with low pressure?

Modified by VanGoghed at 6:11 AM 11/14/2007
Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Fantastic! I'll give it a try.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil M0nkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You try 10 feet away. Honda is wrong on that one. Big time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I work with TPMS cars all the time all you need is 10 feet and there is no problem at all. BTW I think Honda would know how far away you need to be, after all they did design the system for these cars.

Also last time I took a TPMS test On IST it said you are NOT supposed to let the air out of all four tires at once. You are supposed to do one at a time.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (redej878)

Hmmm.. Kinda strange how you're both bashing each other.. But anyways... As for 10 feet, sounds fair. I usually just make sure there's no other TPMS equipped vehicle in the stalls next to me.

But yeah, initializing or configuring the sensors to the TPMS unit can only be, as far as I know, with a TPMS sensor tool. So you're pretty much out of luck there..

As for the procedure, you just plug in the HDS tablet/scanner and let it do its thing and then walk around the vehicle and point the TPMS sensor tool at the valve of the appropriate tire. After you're done, the TPMS light or low tire psi light, I don't remember, will flash. All you have to do then is go out and drive it, say more than 10mph for maybe 1/4 of a mile at most, and the light should stop flashing..

As for letting the air out of the tires, true it's a Pre Delivery Inspection procedure that we're suppose do. And not we have to do it on every 08 model which comes equipped with TPMS. As for having to let the air out of the tires one at a time??.. You're on your own there. True, it states that we're suppose to do that. But I've tried that and done that. It works exactly the same way if you let the air out of all four tires at the same time by removing the valve cores. Just make sure you remember to set the PSI to at least 35PSI to help compensate for cold tire pressure in the mornings.

So yeah, quit bashing each other.. I feel like I'm at work.. LOL..
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PnX-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnX-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So yeah, quit bashing each other.. I feel like I'm at work.. LOL..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not bashing, just telling it how Honda wants it done.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light

Thought I would share my TPMS story so others may benefit.

2008 CRV (70,000 mi).
Got new tires at Sam's. Driving out, "TPMS" came on steady.
Back to Sam's. They found a broken sensor. Installed universal sensor purchased at Auto Zone ($70 for part, reimbursed by Sam's).
TPMS goes out, low pressure light flashing (!) comes on.
Sam's attempts to resolve flashing light. No success.
Take care to Firestone Service Center. Tech says universal sensors don't typically work on Honda's. Must get Honda OEM part.
Purchase Honda specific sensor, installed at Sam's (reimbursed, again). Tire guy at Sam's does another attempt to clear light (fails).

Perform steps of inflate up to 44, down to 17...etc...back to 32 lbs. Drive over 30 MPH on highway for several miles. (!) still flashing...getting really frustrated. It's January (Indiana). Cold outside.

I call three different tire shops - all say I must go to Honda Dealer for reset. One guys was nice enough to offer to try to clear it but also tells me it's unlikely that he's got the right software to do it.

I call dealer - tech says he says he will resolve for...wait for it...FREE, takes about 10 minutes.

That is going to happen next week. Wish me luck. Will report back with outcome.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2007 CRV - TPMS warning light

as promised, I've returned to share my outcome. I took the CRV to the local Honda Dealer (Penske in Indianapolis). They did exactly as promised. It took all of 5 minutes. The guy hooked up a laptop to the OBD port, and another guy went tire to tire, they pushed some buttons on the laptop, I drove off, the light went out. Case closed. Total cost: $0