Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up.

Hi Guys,
I have been reading lots of forums and fix it yourself documents. Wonder if someone can make this simple for me. I allready know how to take off the door panel to get access to the window. Basically I rolled the window all the way down and now it will not come back up. It doesnt generate any noise when I try to do so. But instead I can see a flux in electrical usage when I attempt to do so. The lights in the car dim slightly when I try to use the window button. This is the drivers side window. Its a two door car and the driver side control still works on the passengers side window. I checked all the cables and they are all plugged correctly nothing came loose. What should I do next? If anything is there a way for me to roll up the window and keep it in the clossed position untill I fix it? The window wont budge and I was wondering if there is a release lock mechanism somewhere thata accessable? Anyways help me out with whatca think. Let me know if this is worth figureing out and working on myself or just take it to a machanic. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up. (Jamesvdh)

This happened on my 96 accord ex as well.

I haven't figured out what the problem is, but here is how to get the window up.

1 - Take off the door panel
2 - Unbolt the motor (10mm socket)
3 - On the end of the motor is a housing with 3 screws. Unscrew them.
4 - Take the housing off, and you will see this thing that you can pull out - I don't know how to describe it and can't take a picture right now. One end is a skinny rod.
5 - Push the skinny rod all the way into the part of the motor that it goes into. You will need to really push it in there, because if you don't, then it won't work.
6 - Manually turn the skinny rod/unit (I think clockwise)
7 - Put everything back together.

You will need to do this every week or so until it gets fixed since the weight of the window will push down the regulator.

I got another regulator/motor, and tried that, but it didn't work. I think it might be a broken wire, but I have not tried fixing that yet.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM

I also tried using the switch from another door (I have a 4 door) and that didn't work either.

Just wanted to head off anyone that might tell me the switch/solenoid is bad.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (therivler1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by therivler1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also tried using the switch from another door (I have a 4 door) and that didn't work either.

Just wanted to head off anyone that might tell me the switch/solenoid is bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The problem on your 4-door is likely the main switch block on the driver's door. It's a very common failure on '94-97 Accords. You have to replace the whole unit.

You can narrow it down by running power directly to the motor to make sure the motor and regulator are functioning properly.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The problem on your 4-door is likely the main switch block on the driver's door. It's a very common failure on '94-97 Accords. You have to replace the whole unit.

You can narrow it down by running power directly to the motor to make sure the motor and regulator are functioning properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>
2 questions:

1 - If I remove the main switch block on the driver's door, would that be sufficient to fix/test the problem?

2 - If the answer above is no, then how would I run power directly to the motor.

I hope you are right! Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Bump because it is snowing.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up. (therivler1)

Have the same problem w/my 97 honda accord. Window goes down but wont go up. Shows power draw when switch is hit,but otherwise NOTHING. Took the door panel off & used battery charger to get window back up without taking it apart. Took off switch that goes from motor to first plug that comes throught door shell. Checked both sides of plug till if figure out which side of the plug that took window up & down. Motor worked,but slowly. The only way to get it up. Could it b module that is problem or switch? THANKS N ADVACE..HOPE SOME OF THIS INFO HELPS
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up. (Jamesvdh)

uhhh, just yank your door panels off and unplug the suspect motor and hook a voltmeter across the connector. You'll get battery voltage + one way and - the other when you hit the switch. If not go to the switch and check for b+ and ground. Process of elimination. If you have voltage to the motor in both directions replace it. I would do the regulator as well. Your issue sounds like a regulator. Or some severely worn channels. Accords are notorious for sluggish windows. I keep mine sprayed down with silicone constantly. The design of the channels and guides are not very thought out.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up. (JGAccorn)

Forgot to say i have replaced the regulator & motor. Still does the same thing. THANKS for ur reply. Thinking it is down 2 the switch,or is there a relay or mocule 2 deal with also? THANKS N ADVANCE
Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up. (byfordtickle)

In case you run out of electrical things to check......

On my '94 that I just bought both front windows were dead.

Thoroughly lubing the run channels and regulator slider blocks brought them both back to life. Took longer to r-and-r the door trims than to fix the actual problem !

Just a thought

Cheers
DD
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up. (therivler1)

Originally Posted by byfordtickle
Have the same problem w/my 97 honda accord. Window goes down but wont go up. Shows power draw when switch is hit,but otherwise NOTHING. Took the door panel off & used battery charger to get window back up without taking it apart. Took off switch that goes from motor to first plug that comes throught door shell. Checked both sides of plug till if figure out which side of the plug that took window up & down. Motor worked,but slowly. The only way to get it up. Could it b module that is problem or switch? THANKS N ADVACE..HOPE SOME OF THIS INFO HELPS
My '97 Accord EX was having the same issue. The driver side window would roll down, but not up. I took out the window switch console and discovered that when the connection is made for the "up" direction, it has melted the plastic around the metal, so the switch no longer connects. I had to clean the box and file down the plastic, which allows the connection to complete.

I did that last night, but after putting it back in the window doesn't have a problem. The only issue is that it still sparks, so I am a bit concerned that it might melt it more and potentially start a fire (which may not be a concern at all, since it's been doing this all along). Oh well, I guess that's what insurance is for.

Hope this helps...
Old 09-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon3 Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up.

Yes sir. I have to same problem. It happened just last night (ongoy jinx). I am pretty sure it isn't the switch. It must be the motor.

Also I found a video that is really instructional for a Honda Accord 90 -

I will also try and take pictures of that motor item that therivler1 is talking about, and will post them here.

UPDATE: It turned out that there wasn't anything wrong with it. I just had to re-attach tteh wire connectors back to the door switches. One prong was bent. (Thank God).

Last edited by poompoom500; 09-15-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up.

Um thanks for posting on something thats im sure been fixed for atleast a year and also something almost 4 years
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Um thanks for posting on something thats im sure been fixed for atleast a year and also something almost 4 years
I am well aware of that. I just wanted to share something since I got help by reading this thread, and watching that video that I posted.

This is for those who will be reading this in the future encountering the same or similar problem!
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poompoom500

I am well aware of that. I just wanted to share something since I got help by reading this thread, and watching that video that I posted.

This is for those who will be reading this in the future encountering the same or similar problem!
I've been browsing this forum for years and just registered so I could reply to this post. Poompoom500, thanks for posting the video. I found it on another site too, but I always check this forum for my fixes.

To Hidenplanvew, having this video will save me a lot of time and money. There are enough of the 1990 Accords still on the road, so getting updates like that are very useful. I've had mine since 2003 and she's still my favorite. I use this forum regularly to find fixes for all the little problems that pop up, like replacing the little plug thingie on the pedal that stops the brake switch - I would have bought a new switch if I hadn't learned about that first. Same goes for the transmission controller fix when you're stuck in 2nd gear. Why rebuild the tranny when all you have to do is get the box under the carpet on the passenger floor rebuilt? Right now the window is stuck about 4 inches down and it will only go down to this point and then it sticks. After a few days it un-sticks and will roll back up. Probably takes that long for the guides to loosen up and get back into position. Had the problem all summer and I suspected the tracks but wasn't sure. Finally got tired of it and decided to check the forum today.

I love my 1990 Honda Accord and really love this forum!!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Honda Accord EX power window wont come back up.

To AgoKwe,

Nice to hear from you. Threads like this one is really necessary for those of us who just don't have the know how on fixing their cars and just want to learn and fix the problem.

You have added more infos in your reply alone. Like the brakes problem:

I use this forum regularly to find fixes for all the little problems that pop up, like replacing the little plug thingie on the pedal that stops the brake switch - I would have bought a new switch if I hadn't learned about that first.
I didn't know that. Thank you for that information.

Same goes for the transmission controller fix when you're stuck in 2nd gear. Why rebuild the tranny when all you have to do is get the box under the carpet on the passenger floor rebuilt?
And that tranny problem too.

BTW (by the way), they have a thread on your car photo(s) that you might want to check out - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/90-02-accord-picture-thread-2809230/.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have this same problem, it rolls down fine but gets slow and stops at about 5 inches from the top, as if its not getting anymore power. To fix this I replaced the regulator and it didn't help. I also cleaned the channels and greased them. Nothing still.

When I took the window off the regulator I noticed it was the regulator itself which did not want to go all the way up; this means it has nothing to do with the channels being "warped" but it must be a power problem. I noticed someone said something about a "main switch" on the door is that the switch used to roll the window up right?

EDIT:

I just switched the main switch out with my previous one from my door but it still won't go up all the way. I don't know what to look for next.

Last edited by Mishako129; 04-29-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Trial User

I have the same issue. Front passenger window will roll down but not up. Neither the passenger nor driver switch will roll it up but both roll it down.

Checked all fuses.
Replaced motor and regulator.
Greased everything.

Now what?!

Help this girl fix her window! :-)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Amy Faulknier
I have the same issue. Front passenger window will roll down but not up. Neither the passenger nor driver switch will roll it up but both roll it down.

Checked all fuses.
Replaced motor and regulator.
Greased everything.

Now what?!

Help this girl fix her window! :-)
What year and trim level, EX, LX, etc.? Is your car a coupe or sedan? It may be a wiring or switch issue; but, the circuits may be slightly different for the different models.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

perhaps the run channel is binding
Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (therivler1)

Originally Posted by Targa250R
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>[i]Quote, originally posted by therivler1

You can narrow it down by running power directly to the motor to make sure the motor and regulator are functioning properly.
So will it fix the passager side door as well cuz It doesn't roll or down up from both sides. Nether of the switches work..... help?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Trial User

I just bought a used 98 Honda accord EX. 4 cylinder, 4 doors.
Everything has been working fine, all of a sudden today I rolled down my driver side window and now it won't go back up. It barely makes any noise, so I think this is the motor but just wanted to get some opinions before I go and order another one? Also I'm having trouble removing the door panel to investigate further. Can someone please explain how they removed theirs?
Old 07-05-2023, 11:08 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Mrs.Romo92
I just bought a used 98 Honda accord EX. 4 cylinder, 4 doors.
Everything has been working fine, all of a sudden today I rolled down my driver side window and now it won't go back up. It barely makes any noise, so I think this is the motor but just wanted to get some opinions before I go and order another one? Also I'm having trouble removing the door panel to investigate further. Can someone please explain how they removed theirs?