Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Help overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help overheating

My brothers 95 integra is over heating and i am running out of ideas. A few weeks ago the upper hose blew. Him not knowing anything about cars wasnt sure if it blew first then overheated car or overheating caused it to burst so I changed hose bleed it and sent him on his way. Then car would overheat but only after about 25 min of driving so I was like ok must l so decided to do a super good flush and changed thermostat why I was in there. Still after 25 min it would overheat.Noticed when it was hot the hoses were hard as a rock so I wondered if cap was releasing so bought a new cap. That didnt help still overheats. So know I down to water pump and head gasket. Never heard of a honda pump going out without any leaks or noise which he has neither. I did however notice when flusshing thermo out that I could pull upper hose off with car on and very little water would come out and if I reved it it would gush a sec then stop again is it notmal at idle for water pump to pump very little??? I am leaning towards a head gasket cause one time it got hot today I noticed coolant overflow was overflowwing and boiling.

What you guys think. Looking for advise before I rip apart .
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help overheating

Is the cooling fan turning on?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same question.
also, have you pressure tested the system? if the system can not hold pressure it will absolutely overheat.
are you losing any coolant? with the vehicle running, rad cap off, you should see coolant streaming past the filler neck
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by el crapitan
same question.
also, have you pressure tested the system? if the system can not hold pressure it will absolutely overheat.
are you losing any coolant? with the vehicle running, rad cap off, you should see coolant streaming past the filler neck
Yes both fans run constant.

I have not but it def holds pressure hoses were so hard I could barely squeeze them.
Ill look and see if you can see it passing by filler tomorrow its to dark outside now.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also let car idle for about 1 hr with cap off no problems at all and didnt notice any abnormal bubbles during this time like bubbles from cylinder pressure getting into cooling system. I am lost at this point.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

of course the hoses will be"hard". that's no indication of the integrity of the system. you must pressure test. on a cold engine, pressurize the system to 15psi and watch the gauge. should hold at 15 for about 3-5 minutes. if pressure drops, system is leaking. either internal or external.
any loss of coolant? check for white smoke out the exhaust on first start up, and then when hot while accelerating, preferably on a hill
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the only coolant being lost is from when coolant reservoir overflows.

I have not noticed car smoking at all when I drove it or when I worked on it today.

Ill rent a pressure tester tomorrow and see what happens.