Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel Injectors spraying too much fuel? Black smoke Help Please!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injectors spraying too much fuel? Black smoke Help Please!!!

Hi, i have a 92 civic with a obd2 gsr swap, I currently was driving the car and when i was coming to a stop light my car just shut off on me, the car cranked but didnt start so i thought it would be a bad coil so i got it to my house and i checked out the coil and it tested good, and the car finally turned on but only if i gave it gas while cranking it, well when it finally turned on the car threw black smoke everywhere and it idle rough and shut off in a bit, i've searched and black smoke indicates fuel, so it turns out my car spraying too much fuel in the injectors, and I've tried a different ecu, different fuel pressure regulator, checked the timing, i also changed the fuel injectors to Rc fuel injectors 650cc which i didnt go into hondata s300 and changed the injector setting to 650cc, help please someone told me it could be a bad ignition module?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Injectors spraying too much fuel? Black smoke Help Please!!!

Holy lack of information, Batman.

What injectors did you have in the car when you first started having this problem? What color spark are you getting when grounding the plugs to the chassis? When you turn the key to ON (II), how much fuel pressure are you getting as properly measured at the filter? What other modifications do you have? Do you have a wideband O2 gauge?

Last edited by jbpnoman; 06-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im confused. was it blowing black smoke with the 650cc injectors and no tune or did you do that trying to fix the problem?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was driving my car fine and when it came to a stop it just shut off, i had the stock injectors when this happened and when the car finally started it idled really rough and threw black smoke while it idled, I have to have the gas pedal down a bit if not it'll stall
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

list your mods. put your stock injectors back in. if it didnt smoke before but does now with the big injectors what does that tell you?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Holy lack of information, Batman.

What injectors did you have in the car when you first started having this problem? What color spark are you getting when grounding the plugs to the chassis? When you turn the key to ON (II), how much fuel pressure are you getting as properly measured at the filter? What other modifications do you have? Do you have a wideband O2 gauge?

I did not check the color of the spark but i will tomorrow, also how would i go about checking the fuel pressure because i have braid fuel lines with a russell fuel filter, and i have gsr motor with 70mm throttle body, skunk 2 intake manifold, skunk2 cam gears, skunk 2 stage 2 tuner cams, cp pistons 9 to 1 compression, golden eagle rods, arp head studs, ati crank pulley, hondata s300 chipped on p72 obd1, dc headers, rc injectors 650cc

and i dont have an O2 gauge
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
list your mods. put your stock injectors back in. if it didnt smoke before but does now with the big injectors what does that tell you?
I had the car running with the stock injectors, and when i came to a stop my car just stalled and when it finally cranked it was blowing black smoke and idling rough and i had to hold the gas pedal for to even idle, my friend said it could be an injector that went bad and stayed open letting in too much fuel, so i went ahead and installed my new rc injectors which i was waiting till i installed my turbo next month

also forgot to mention i also have a walbro fuel pump installed on the car too
Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I apologize I/m trying to answer them the best i can...

I did not check the color of the spark but i will tomorrow, also how would i go about checking the fuel pressure because i have braid fuel lines with a russell fuel filter, and i have gsr motor with 70mm throttle body, skunk 2 intake manifold, skunk2 cam gears, skunk 2 stage 2 tuner cams, cp pistons 9 to 1 compression, golden eagle rods, arp head studs, ati crank pulley, hondata s300 chipped on p72 obd1, dc headers, rc injectors 650cc

Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jaap_15

Because you replaced the OEM filter with a Russel unit, you can't test fuel pressure properly. Good luck figuring out how - you need to. Your best bet is probably to get a Russell inline fuel pressure gauge and install it - something you should have done in the first place. This, along with testing your spark, is probably the #1 most important part of diagnosis and repair at this point.

Put the stock injectors back on. I don't see anything in that list that necessitates any more than stock, unless you forgot to mention a certain snail under the hood. 650's with zero tuning for them WILL cause more problems.

Get a wideband O2 sensor. With a list of mods like that, you need one. You might have been able to notice the problem and prevent all of this from happening if you had one in the first place.

For you readers at home, this is why you make sure to do things 100% and don't skip out certain steps. Stuff like this might just happen to you, too.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Because you replaced the OEM filter with a Russel unit, you can't test fuel pressure properly. Good luck figuring out how - you need to. Your best bet is probably to get a Russell inline fuel pressure gauge and install it - something you should have done in the first place. This, along with testing your spark, is probably the #1 most important part of diagnosis and repair at this point.

Put the stock injectors back on. I don't see anything in that list that necessitates any more than stock, unless you forgot to mention a certain snail under the hood. 650's with zero tuning for them WILL cause more problems.

Get a wideband O2 sensor. With a list of mods like that, you need one. You might have been able to notice the problem and prevent all of this from happening if you had one in the first place.

For you readers at home, this is why you make sure to do things 100% and don't skip out certain steps. Stuff like this might just happen to you, too.
See i had no idea i needed a fuel pressure gauge cause i followed this diy step by step https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/write-up-how-convert-your-fuel-lines-ugly-filter-stainless-6an-hoses-1527379/ and it never mentioned that, but now i know

i will also order an o2 senser, and i'll put the stock injector back on, & any idea where could i order an inline fuel pressure gauge?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Like I said, since the rest of your fuel system is Russell, you should probably get one from Russell as well.