Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Q: removing srs/air bag unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: removing srs/air bag unit

I have a 94 cx hatch and I'm doing a full wire tuck and I wad wondering if I could remove all the air bag wiring and the air bag unit under the dash?? Will the car still run?? I ask because one of the air bag wires is connected with the ignition plug under the dash/into the fuse box.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q: removing srs/air bag unit

Yes.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM_teh_WIN!!
Yes.
Thanks man,
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Legally? No.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been pulled over and I have no air bags. It's not illegal to remove your airbags.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been pulled over and I have no air bags. It's not illegal to remove your airbags.
Yes it is
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if it is I've never had a cop say anything to me about it, and I've gotten pulled over for some ridiculous stuff.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Actually, I take that back. It's not a federal thing, it's a state thing. Once again, check your local laws.

In VA, it is both illegal, and will cause you to fail inspection. VA state code says that all SRS systems that came in the car, must still be in the car.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i took my srs box out when i did my brake line tuck to mount my proportioning valve. i had my battery disconnected while i did this and had no problems just the srs is on and u could pull the bulb if its that annoying... but it could be illegal in some states but most states have nothing to plug into a srs unit to test or diagnose problems.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually yes it is illegal to remove them.

IIRC in most states it is illegal to remove to them from a car that came stock with them.
This has been talked about MANY times on here.

You may not get messed with for it, but a cop can give you **** for it.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha, well I don't have any air bags and I haven't had any for quite some time. I have no plans to put them back in so I could really care less if it's legal or not. LOL
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got eg6 cluster and steering wheel, along with an Oem passanger air bag delete. Everything will look legit. Thank for all the replies. Helps a lot
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, there is no law stating that you must retain SRS, it is merely a safety option that manufacturers add to their cars to inquire sales of their cars. Seatbelts are required, but SRS is not, it is just there because auto makers decided to put it there, besides in the event that you wreck the car and the bags deploy, you DO NOT have to install new ones, you can simply install a cover to fill the void where the bag was. So NO, you do not have to keep the SRS system, and it IS NOT an integral function of the car's ignition system, but completely standalone.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't take all the airbags out, you can splice in a 2.2OHM resistor where you took them off and it will trick the system into thinking the bag is still there. That way whatever airbags you have left will still function properly if you have no other SRS faults
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by KoNEY
Actually, there is no law stating that you must retain SRS, it is merely a safety option that manufacturers add to their cars to inquire sales of their cars. Seatbelts are required, but SRS is not, it is just there because auto makers decided to put it there, besides in the event that you wreck the car and the bags deploy, you DO NOT have to install new ones, you can simply install a cover to fill the void where the bag was. So NO, you do not have to keep the SRS system, and it IS NOT an integral function of the car's ignition system, but completely standalone.
You're obviously new here. Read the entire thread. The law varies by state. If you're going to say something is or is not legal, cite the code, or at least the state you claim to know about.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
You're obviously new here. Read the entire thread. The law varies by state. If you're going to say something is or is not legal, cite the code, or at least the state you claim to know about.
Actually, I have worked in a body shop for over 8 years, and according to the law, we are able to remove an srs system without legal repurcussions. It is entirely optional and federal law does not require them to be replaced or even repaired. Any safety equipment that is required is replaced and or serviced by Tue manufacturers at no charge because it is federal law. This is specific to seat belts because it is the only thing requiredby law. Just because it is standard equipment does not make it law. Now I'm sure on this because I have repaired, replaced and removed more srs systems than I can count. Otherwise anyone making a cover for an air bag delete or any auto maker that allows you to disable an air bag is breaking federal law.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

your correct, it's not illegal to remove a SRS system from the car, IF the airbag was deployed. However, It IS illegal to remove a perfectly good airbag from the car if it had the airbag from the factory.

This has a link in it, reguarding the removal of airbags, and is also a pretty good discussion.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=

As I said, it is illegal to remove a airbag from the car, this happens to be on a federal level.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Actually, I have worked in a body shop for over 8 years, and according to the law, we are able to remove an srs system without legal repurcussions. It is entirely optional and federal law does not require them to be replaced or even repaired. Any safety equipment that is required is replaced and or serviced by Tue manufacturers at no charge because it is federal law. This is specific to seat belts because it is the only thing requiredby law. Just because it is standard equipment does not make it law. Now I'm sure on this because I have repaired, replaced and removed more srs systems than I can count. Otherwise anyone making a cover for an air bag delete or any auto maker that allows you to disable an air bag is breaking federal law.
Ya know, puffing your chest without even reading my post only serves to make you look stupid. Go back and read what I said again.

STATE law. STATE. Never, not a single freaking time, did I say anything about FEDERAL law. I really couldn't give two ***** about federal law. It's not like the feebs are going to pull me over.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Ya know, puffing your chest without even reading my post only serves to make you look stupid. Go back and read what I said again.

STATE law. STATE. Never, not a single freaking time, did I say anything about FEDERAL law. I really couldn't give two ***** about federal law. It's not like the feebs are going to pull me over.
I read your post thank you very much. I am literate ya know. Anyway, who cares, its his car let him do as he pleases. I'm gonna answer the kid's question and the debate is over for me, I'm not gonna argue over someone else's thread. PM me.

To answer the question in the topic of the thread, it's obvious that the legality of removing the SRS is up in the air between members. NO it WILL NOT affect the engine/transmission or ignition systems if you remove the module and wiring. Just make sure battery is disconnected before attempting to move the module because you may set off the bag(s) or render the module useless if you make the inclined connection inside. Secondly, I wouldn't sweat the police or anyone else over your removing of the air bags or entire SRS system. I mean there's all sorts of laws about cars that are broken everytime someone installs a JDM engine, aftermarket HID kit, suspension or exhaust kit. I think you'll be alright.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you believe it's illegal to remove an airbag from your car then it is, at least in your head.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old thread closed.