See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Squeaking Noise from Wheels

Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Noise from Wheels

Last week my car started to make a noise coming somewhere from the wheels. It was only when I would coast under 25mph. After a few days it started to make the noise around 25, and now it makes the noise even when I'm going around 35 and it is louder. It sounds like it's coming from the front and sounds like the squeal you hear when your brake pads are real worn down but only once every time the wheel spins, sort of like a squeak squeak squeak that speeds up when I go faster and slows down when I slow down. When I reverse it's the same but a little bit deeper sounding and sounds like it's coming from the rear.
What could the problem be?
I figured it could be the wear indicator on the brake pads so today I changed the front pads but the noise is still there, nothing has changed. I'll change the rear pads tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Squeaking Noise from Wheels

i have had issues in past like this and my solution was the wheel bearing, jack up car and try to move the wheel by hand, while u there check your tire tread and brake pads for uneven wear and go from there
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had issue with rear driver wheel hub assembly cost me 75 bills (they have a cheaper one at autozone forgot) and very easy replace on the 6th gen its just three bolts and arent pressed in its just a assembly
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Possible wheel hub/bearing is going bad or your hearing a loud pulley noise ? thats the only squeak i could think of .
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it's your brake pad indicator wear that is squealing against the rotor?

Nothing I can think of besides that pad indicator and grits getting stuck between the dust shield and rotor.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could it possibly be you caliper slider bolts or uneven warpping on the rotor? That's what I came up with.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to mention it's a 2002 av6 coupe.
I changed the front brake pads today and I'll change the rear pads in the morning. I'll check if it's the bearing, which it probably is. If it's the pad indicator then my rotor is either warped or worn unevenly since it isn't a constant squeal.
Oh and also I hear the noise at all times when I'm going about 35mph or slower, hitting the brakes, coasting, or accelerating. But If I brake hard it seems to go away. Could that be another indicator that it's a wheel bearing? Like hitting the brakes harder would keep the wheel from wobbling more I guess?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes when mine started going out i had similar symptoms and jumped right into replacing brake components because it was driving me crazy finally to find the hub was going out. jack up car, grab tire with both handles and try to wiggle it towards and away from you if you notice a slight wooble you can do the same on other wheels to compare if its abnormal
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could wheel bearings cause vibration when accelerating and decelerating? Originally I was thinking its my pads. The problems seem similar to OP. I do however, have one rotor showing more wear than the opposite side. I want to make sure before throwing more money away. Thanks. 96 Accord EX sedan.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the wobble or run-out of your wheels bearings are ussually measured before putting new rotors on, but if your wheel bearings are worn and have run-out they can cause a slight vibration in acceleration...but that could alos be caused by unproperly balanced wheels or unevenly worn tires..lots of places to start checking first before any problem could be solved in this case
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22a2JZGTE
well the wobble or run-out of your wheels bearings are ussually measured before putting new rotors on, but if your wheel bearings are worn and have run-out they can cause a slight vibration in acceleration...but that could alos be caused by unproperly balanced wheels or unevenly worn tires..lots of places to start checking first before any problem could be solved In this case
No notice of wobble. At last brake service the mechanic showed me the wheel bearing. This was in October 2010. Wheel bearings were still packed and will eventually need to be changed. I have not done the wobble check yet. Could it be related to front rotor warping? Or am I just chasing a gremlin? The first picture is passenger side front rotor. Second picture is driver side front rotor. Its difficult to see, but there's more high spots on passenger side especially on the outer edges.
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my rotor looked like this when the little rubber stopper thing on the caliper bolt had worn and fell off when i took it out, it could also be a caliper issue its getting stuck. but can be a wheel bearing i noticed most of the wheel bearing play at the top and bottom with tire on
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and when u replace rotors get some drilled and slotted and stay away from that duralast cheap autozone stuff, i got brembo drilled slotted rotors and ebc ceramic and they last forever had the rotors on for about 8 years and they are still in great condition and provide great stopping power
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard the squeak not too long ago. It does feel like I have quite a bit of run out on the driver side wheel. Guess it's the wheel bearing that's the culprit.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To check for a wheel bearing, jack the car up. Grab the 9 and 3 position of the wheel and wiggle it from side to side with some force. If there is a wobble from the wheel itself, the bearing is going bad. Also, the wheel bearing will begin to hum in relation with speed while driving.

NOTE: When going to an auto parts store (or getting it replaced at a shop) BE SURE to use the more expensive wheel bearing. Typically, the cheaper ones will last a year. At our shop we get them from CarQuest and ONLY use their blue line (premium) versus the red line (junk). The red lines kept failing and costing our shop lots of money for warranty work.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do wheel bearings have anything to do with brake vibrations also?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes because the wheel is wobbling a lil
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't get a chance to buy some rear pads but I jacked the car up today and none of the wheels wobbled at all. I'll try to get some pads this weekend.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got some rear pads and put them on today. One of the bolts on the rear passenger side caliper wouldn't budge and it eventually rounded a little so I couldn't get that one off. The driver side pad on the inside was worn a unevenly and was scraping on the indicator. Put it all together but when I spin the rotor it catches a little at one point, could that mean my rotor is warped or worn unevenly?

I haven't driven it yet either so I don't know if the squeaking is gone or not.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by uhhkilleez
Finally got some rear pads and put them on today. One of the bolts on the rear passenger side caliper wouldn't budge and it eventually rounded a little so I couldn't get that one off. The driver side pad on the inside was worn a unevenly and was scraping on the indicator. Put it all together but when I spin the rotor it catches a little at one point, could that mean my rotor is warped or worn unevenly?

I haven't driven it yet either so I don't know if the squeaking is gone or not.
Your rotor more than likely has high spots on the outer face because of the uneven pressure in the caliper. You should replace the rotor or have a machine shop turn them since its easier to replace than the front.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 75aces
Your rotor more than likely has high spots on the outer face because of the uneven pressure in the caliper. You should replace the rotor or have a machine shop turn them since its easier to replace than the front.

That sounds about right, I'll have a shop turn them for me.

I drove it today and the noise was gone. Drove fine, no noises whatsoever, and I didn't even change the rear passenger pads.