Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 96 Accord brakes

The last time I serviced my front brakes, the shop showed my cracked pads. I have yet to pull the current set to visually inspect. Would cracked pads be related to failing calipers? There is vibration in the pedal as well as the steering wheel under pressure. I also noticed that there is additional travel needed to complete a stop if I don't already use extra road at the start of braking.
75aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 96 Accord brakes

Cracks in the pads are usually due to heat. If there is a shuddering when braking at high speed, it is usually due to build-up on the rotor or warped rotors. The rotors on your car are more difficult to remove; refer to the sticky at the top of the forum for info. regarding front rotor removal. If you service the brakes, you should pull out the caliper slide pins then clean and re-grease them.
redbull-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

What's it mean when one rotor has more wear than the other? There's more raised spots on the inner and outer edges versus the other side. I will post pics in the morning. Does this mean that a caliper is failing?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

It may be a problem with just the caliper slide pins instead of the caliper. Pull the slide pins and check if they are pitted and have corrosion. If they are, get new slide pins and grease them with some high temperature silicone brake grease or other type of brake grease. The slide pins may fix the problem without having to replace the caliper.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I'm hoping I can machine the rotors. If not, I will have to just replace. How do I reduce the heat in the pads?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

A few heat cracks on the pad is not really a big concern. Just drive normal without doing track style braking; lol.

Only if it is really bad due to a caliper seizing, which is usually due to the slide pins, is it a big concern.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I know that not all rotors will wear the same. I installed the front set almost 2 years ago. What I don't understand is how one could wear more than the other. The one that is worn has high spots on the outer edge. I learned my lesson. Don't buy cheap *** rotors that only lasts 2 years.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
MAD_MIKE
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75aces View Post
What I don't understand is how one could wear more than the other.
Weight.
If you ever compare the front brakes on a car when you replace the rotors/pads and the car is primarily driven with only the driver as the occupant, the driver front rotor and pads will wear out more than the passenger side.
Now it should not be a significant amount more, but will be noticeable.

Use only quality brand name rotors. Honda, Brembo or Centric(Stop-Tech) rotors should be fine.

If you feel you are overheating your front brakes, this really depends on where and how you drive, verify that the rear brakes are working correctly.
As redbull-1 pointed out, make sure the caliper, caliper slides are not worn or binding up causing the pads to wear unevenly per caliper.
MAD_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

The weird thing is that the rotor on the passenger side is more worn than the driver side. Primarily, I am the only occupant about 80 percent. The only other occupant is my son who sits in his car seat. I drive normally but have been noticing that I have more travel on the brakes under pressure. Not sure if its cuz the brake fluid is old? The vibration is really noticeable when braking at or above 50 mph. I can live with it, but am more concerned when its wet out. I purchased duralast pads and rotors from Autozone. I will be bleeding the system. Maybe there is air somewhere.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
75aces
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

When replacing rotors, does the brake system self correct the pressure to all corners? I looked at my rear pads and estimate I have 25% left. I plan to go back to oem rotors and pads since the crap on now suck. Is there a valve that can be adjusted?

submit to reddit

Tags
96, accord, brake, brakes, dont, hyindi, passenger, pins, pull, rear, remove, rotor, side, slider, tool, work