Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Best way to remove discoloration/bad clear coat?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to remove discoloration/bad clear coat?

I found a thread on here awhile back that I wish I had bookmarked because it looked like a really good tutorial. Anyway, the author mentioned using wet 600 grit sandpaper to buff this discoloration away due to old clear coat...

...as you can in the pictures. What are some of my options here? Do I use a sanding block or just wet sandpaper? I tested a small area and the wet 600 grit seemed to work but I'd like to hear some more opinions on this before I go any further. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best way to remove discoloration/bad clear coat?

sand and clearcoat
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Trial User

Take it from someone whom works at a body shop. Go to the pros and have them do it right. AND NO IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MAACO. a proper finish for above accord would be to strip the hood with airplane paint stripper, sand it completely away (whatevers left) with p180. then p320...then prime it, either etch or grey primer or UV activated quick primer. (depending on budget) then guide coat and wet sand, starting in 600 grit on a soft block and then to 800 or 1000. then look up your colorcode and have it sprayed by a trusted painter.... for those who are clueless to automotive refinishing and to put it simply, dont be like this "id" cuz your hoods gonna be burnt orange (rusty) in NO TIME... Like overnight for you southerners. INBOX ME HATEMAIL OR PRAISE OR QUESTIONS. THANKS FOR READING
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thanks but I'm not going to invest 300-500 dollars repainting a $40 hood. it doesn't need to be perfect.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 719DA719
Take it from someone whom works at a body shop. Go to the pros and have them do it right. AND NO IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MAACO. a proper finish for above accord would be to strip the hood with airplane paint stripper, sand it completely away (whatevers left) with p180. then p320...then prime it, either etch or grey primer or UV activated quick primer. (depending on budget) then guide coat and wet sand, starting in 600 grit on a soft block and then to 800 or 1000. then look up your colorcode and have it sprayed by a trusted painter.... for those who are clueless to automotive refinishing and to put it simply, dont be like this "id" cuz your hoods gonna be burnt orange (rusty) in NO TIME... Like overnight for you southerners. INBOX ME HATEMAIL OR PRAISE OR QUESTIONS. THANKS FOR READING
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone try to wetsand a guidecoat.

To OP: you could try wetsanding and spraying clear over it. Or look for a replacement hood in the junkyard in better shape. The problem is that with damage this bad, the integrity of your basecoat has probably been compromised and you won't be able to wetsand away the bad clear without destroying the base in the process. Even if you do manage to get it mostly flat, it may not look even after clearcoating. A full refinish is probably the best solution.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just wet sand it shoot a primer on it wet sand and shoot an omni single stage mt friend did that to his fender and its look like nuthing ,but again i do hav all my equipment gun compressor filters ext....
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sand it with 180grit, primer, sand out sand marks from the 180 with 320, basecoat, clear coat. You can do everything with rattle can for under $100. If spending $100 on a $40 hood doesn't make sence, do a hood delete and cruise hoodless
Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you take it off, it will be a lot easier, but im sure you already planned on doing that. Here is a guide i guess..
spray painting a panel on car

I hear wet sanding helps too. maybe look into that some