See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2004 accord metal grinding sound

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 accord metal grinding sound

I just got a 2004 accord coupe v6 6 speed 2 weekends ago. There is some sort of metal grinding sound coming from the front passenger side of the car where the belts are. I do not know know what the sound is coming from or what is causing it. The noise happens just above 2000 rpms and i am accelerating. The noise happens in every gear but it does not happen when i am just reving the car. When i coast at 2000rpms it doesn't happen but when i put my foot on the gas it happens. I searched around and read that it could be something with the brakes or the exhaust heat shield is loose. Any suggestions would be nice, so i can trouble shoot before i take it to a dealer and spend money to find out what is wrong. Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 accord metal grinding sound

drive belt tensioner?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Trial User

Its probably the senser on your brake pad. You probably need to have the brakes pads replaced.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It might be a wheel barring. I also have a 2004 Accord and my wheel barring went within the first 40,000 miles. The dealer fixed it for free. Said they never heard of a barring going out that fast. I heard it all the time though..
Old 03-19-2011, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just under acceleration, sounds like broken motor mounts, and more than one.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Trial User

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and just had my front brakes replaced and they grind and I was told that they do not have enough miles on them
Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Trial User

willowcairns, my 2007 Honda Accord six speed has the same issue, a grinding noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. At first I thought it was related to my transmission since I thought it was only occuring in gear. I had a couple of excellent Honda Techs check it and couldn't identify it (said to just drive it till it became loud enough to pinpoint). This started at 58,000 miles and is still occuring 10,000 miles later....perhaps a bit louder but not much. But get this, it's not tied to my transmission but the throttle. After the visit to the dealership and driving home, I really reveved the engine at a stop light...OUT OF GEAR...and low and behold....the same grinding noise! The guys think it might be one of the pullies mounted on the side of the block...but so far it hasn't gotten worse or gone out.....but they are not sure exactly what is causing the grinding.... I hate the extra noise but can't justify taking about the car and that expense.... any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will the noise chang with A/C on? How old is the drive belt? is it red looking What is power steering fluid look like
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do an under hood listen while a trusted friend gradually gives it a little gas to around 2k rpms or wherever the noticeable noise occurs. If it's drive belt tensioner, loose motor mount, etc it should be fairly easy to pinpoint. Use your eyes here more than anything, don't wear loose clothing, etc..

If nothing jumps out (or off lol) at you, let the car cool down for a good while (approximately 3 beers or so) and then break your lug nuts loose and jack up that corner (passenger front). Use rear wheel chocks, e brake on, in gear, jack stands, the whole 9 yards. Remove the respective wheel and (assure rotor and areas are cool to the touch) look for anything loose. Occasionally I get lucky and find a rock lodged around the caliper when an old lady complains about rattling..

You can poke around a bit, since it's metallic sounding I'd check tie rod ends, upper and lower hub connections for anything visibly loose. You can unbolt the caliper while you're this far in pretty easily and check the brake pad for extensive wear or if the indicator tab (a previous post suggested) is coming off. If the car is very secure you can venture underneath it and again look for trouble. The old wiggle and tap on it method seems to work well for recreating the sound you were hearing earlier.

The drive belt tensioners on these do go out occasionally, you can put a 14mm closed in wrench over the end of the pulley, push it to the firewall enough to slip the belt off. Then in working the pulley arm to and fro it should not make much if any noise. They typically don't high pitched screech as much as rattle or have a lower pitched roar that follows the engine speed. The culprit is usually the spring in the arm going out or the pulley itself backing itself loose from the arm (reverse threaded fyi), these tensioner arms can be picked up pretty reasonable and with the relocation of the p/s resevoir go in fairly fast... plus a new drive belt and a once over the other drive pulleys and you have peace of mind in that area at least.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

p.s. if it's a suspected wheel bearing as suggested above, spin the front rotor while the car is jacked up (by hand!!) and hopefully you shouldn't hear anything. If there is a low pitched roar, and gets higher pitched/louder the faster you spin it.. probably can have a victory beer before hitting up Autozone for the bearing.

Also with the tire secured back to the hub (with 2 or 3 lug nuts hand tightened) put your hands about 2 and 8 o'clock on the tire and wiggle the heck out of it (reasonably, the car is still in the air) There shouldn't be any noticeable knocking noise.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Trial User

I'm having this exact same problem with my 2005 v6 sedan. It first started around a year ago and I just started noticing it again while installing a new stereo and driving without the music cranked. If you find the solution I'd love to know the cause.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a 2005 v6 and I have the same issue. Its as you describe, comes on around 2300rpm, some times it will hang until 3200k sometimes a little less. I come from a automotive technicians background and to be honest it sounds like the air conditioner clutch is engaging briefly and disconnecting. I haven’t had much time to really dive in to it, but it seems like it hangs longer if I’m going up a steep hill while accelerating. It doesn’t concern me yet, more so an annoyance.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by joec44
Will the noise chang with A/C on? How old is the drive belt? is it red looking What is power steering fluid look like
Yes, I have this same problem and it seems to be activated when the a/c or heater is turned on..Engine revs at 3k rpm and doesn't accelerate commensurate with the gas pedal. Also grinding noise from the serpentine belt area. I turn the ccar off and wait 10 minutes...problem is gone! any advice is greatly appreciated!!