Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Car dies after 3 seconds!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car dies after 3 seconds!!

Originally Posted by k24em2
Alt and ECU are toast
Yea im sourcing a working used ecu now, sucks cause i have to tow it to the dealer to have it programmed. If it starts up i will replace the alternator right away. Keep everyone posted...
Old 08-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace your alternator otherwise you'll toast your new ECU too
Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 PM
jrm
Honda-Tech Member

jsut for kicks, i removed my fuel pump fuse- it ran for 3 seconds and shut off---- maybe its just a clogged or failed fuel pump that cannot keep up but builds enough pressure before the engine is started to just feed the injectors for a couple seconds? a ECU or alt on a 04' seems very early- both my 01's are bone stock driven 100 miles a day without any failures at all
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

First off, there's no MAF on Civics, yes, you can check all you want, but you won't find one. We have a MAP, but the function of the MAP sensor is to advance the ignition timing while you're driving, it doesn't affect idling or startup.

If the alternator was bad, the battery would die. The only thing the alternator does is charge the battery while the car is running.

If the ECU is bad, the car wouldn't start.

I don't know the problem with this car, it sounds like a vacuum leak or bad ignition switch, but man, I just had to get that other misinformation out of the way.

One extremely common problem on Honda ignition switches is the ignition will not stay in the RUN position and the car will either shut off immediately or after a few seconds. You can test this out by starting the car, then keeping light pressure on the key holding it forward in the RUN position, but not so far forward that the starter keeps on cranking. If the car stays running the entire time your finger is on the key, there's your problem. Sometimes finger pressure won't work and you'll have to test it by swapping the ignition switch out with a known good one.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure its not your idle air control system. my em2 was idling real high then it would die also like urs. check ur throttle body and ur sensors. thats solved my prob.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

other than that only thing i can think of that i see at my auto tech school my buddy pulled his motor to clean it and put it in and i would start then die. just to find out there was no ground to the block also. not sure could be a simple fix. couldnt tell u though
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello, I have seen this a few times before at work (honda dealer) I have seen timing jumped a tooth or two to cause this. I read the belt was replaced 2 mos. ago. I'm not sure if this was covered yet, just skimmed through to see if you had solved it yet. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, your car has jumped timing. Just went through this with a 2004 Civic 1.7l.
It is easy to check:
1. Unplug the crank sensor.
2. Start the engine.
If it runs without shutting off, your engine timing has jumped.

Explanation: The engine has 2 timing sensors; the cam sensor and the crank sensor. It uses the cam sensor to start the engine since this one can tell the engine which cylinder is in position for starting. Once started, it uses both sensors to run the engine. If the signals are off, it stalls to protect the motor (or try anyway). It can actually run on just the cam sensor so if the crank sensor fails, the car won't die.

If you have a "no-start" condition, it probably is not the crank sensor since it doesn't use this one to start.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmastertech
Most likely, your car has jumped timing. Just went through this with a 2004 Civic 1.7l.
It is easy to check:
1. Unplug the crank sensor.
2. Start the engine.
If it runs without shutting off, your engine timing has jumped.

Explanation: The engine has 2 timing sensors; the cam sensor and the crank sensor. It uses the cam sensor to start the engine since this one can tell the engine which cylinder is in position for starting. Once started, it uses both sensors to run the engine. If the signals are off, it stalls to protect the motor (or try anyway). It can actually run on just the cam sensor so if the crank sensor fails, the car won't die.

If you have a "no-start" condition, it probably is not the crank sensor since it doesn't use this one to start.
This thread is from February, 2010. I don't think your post is going to be of much help to the OP, but maybe it'll help the next person searching for an answer.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Trial User

Thanks to God for jjmastertech. your instructions to troubleshoot the timing belt worked fine for me. Now I need to find out the reason why my timing jumped and change everything from water pump to cam and crankshaft seals, timing belt and tensioner, cam and crankshaft sensors, and serpentine belt, due to my civic has 140,000 miles and dont want to open up everything again. God is good and may He bless you and keep on using you to bless others.