Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Tire Pressure Sensor Reset.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensor Reset.

I am wondering my wifes 2010 Accord has one tire that was 2 pounds low. The TPS came on on the dash. She took it in and the guy filled up the tire no problem.

The light won't go off now. Manual says to lower every tire down to 13 pounds and then raise them up to regular pressure again. Is there no easy way to reset the sensor?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Reset.

Originally Posted by Krator
I am wondering my wifes 2010 Accord has one tire that was 2 pounds low. The TPS came on on the dash. She took it in and the guy filled up the tire no problem.

The light won't go off now. Manual says to lower every tire down to 13 pounds and then raise them up to regular pressure again. Is there no easy way to reset the sensor?
unfortunately no. i was a tech honda, and here is the quickest way to do it. first have the key in the ignition to the II positions (so all accessories are on), then with a shrader valve tool, take all of the shrader valves out of every tire (LF, LR, RR, RF). By the time you go back to the first tire (LF), it should be completely flat, or just about that. So reinsert the shrader valve and fill it all the way up. Do all the tires. Then take the car out on the road and drive it. I believe the magic number to hit is over 40mph, but it has been some time. But a normal cruising speed and the light should go off. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Trial User

You have two warning lights for the tire pressure monitoring system. One is a picture of a flat tire with an ! in the middle of it. It means that you are low on air. The other is the letters TPMS, which means there is a malfunction in the system. Usually it is a faulty sensor on one of the wheels. As far as resetting it try disconnecting the battery for about ten minutes (make sure you have the code for your radio). If the light is off when you reconnect the battery but comes back on when you drive it then I recommend taking to a dealership so they can tell you whats up.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it was the flat tire light that came on. I will see about doing as was suggested. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your close to the dealership, let them clear the code for the tpms if its still under warranty. As a honda service advisor if they see you have been messing with it, they will and can deny any warranty coverage if it turns out there is a faulty sensor.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well found out today that it is the TPMS light not the flat tire light. So it will be going in to have it looked at.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120
unfortunately no. i was a tech honda, and here is the quickest way to do it. first have the key in the ignition to the II positions (so all accessories are on), then with a shrader valve tool, take all of the shrader valves out of every tire (LF, LR, RR, RF). By the time you go back to the first tire (LF), it should be completely flat, or just about that. So reinsert the shrader valve and fill it all the way up. Do all the tires. Then take the car out on the road and drive it. I believe the magic number to hit is over 40mph, but it has been some time. But a normal cruising speed and the light should go off. Good luck!
Really?? Valve cores should not be reused once they have been removed. They are supposed to be replaced with a new nickel plated core, not reused.

Here is the quickest and correct way: All Hondas basically have a auto reset. The pressure needs to be adjusted to the correct pressure listed on the tire placard. If the vehicle has been driven more than more than one mile or 3 minutes, add 4psi if the pressure needs to be adjusted. Drive the car above 20 MPH until the light goes off. Normally it will occur with in a few minutes once the proper speed is reached. Ideally pressure should be adjusted to the pressure on the tire placard once the car has not been driven for at least 3 hours, ideally first thing in the morning.

Originally Posted by Krator
Well found out today that it is the TPMS light not the flat tire light. So it will be going in to have it looked at.
The letters TPMS indicate an issue with the system. It can come on for something as simple as the spare tire being installed on the car and driven. A properly formatted scan tool will tell what is wrong.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it can also be a bad TMPS circuit fuse... though it would not be light up all by itself normally