BIG Problem with SRS light & Seatbelt Light and wiring

Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Problem with SRS light & Seatbelt Light and wiring

Okay, heres the problem
I bought my car used last week
2005 Honda Accord LX Coupe
upon buying it I noticed the Airbag/SRS light was on on the dashboard (should have checked that out before I bought the car, buts its over and done now).

Ive been looking around in the car to figure out if my airbags look as if they could be missing. Everything looks fine, I think the airbags are still there.

After looking around I noticed these wires under the driver seat were REALLY messed with. The Yellow wires (airbag) look to be fine and untampered with.

I noticed the wires coming from my seatbelt on the seat appear to be cut. I noticed my car doesn't register whether or not the passenger or driver is wearing the seatbelt and theres no chime telling me to buckle up and the seatbelt light is off and I've never seen it on.

I also noticed an unplugged plug with the same color wires running into it.
So I went ahead and plugged these cut wires into that plug. (2 green wires)

The light is still on, not sure if it has to be reset or what..
The other problem Ive noticed is that this blue plug connects no where? does anyone know what this might be?

Under the other seat everything looks plugged in except for this green plug, maybe its an accessory plug?

If someone could even send me a picture of the wiring under their seat for the same model that would be GREAT!
Anything will help me out at this point. Honda wants $105 just to read the srs light.
Attached Images    

Last edited by tech8; 05-22-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: BIG Problem with SRS light & Seatbelt Light and wiring

My guess is, the seat belt buckle switch was not working, causing the airbag light to stay on (which is a common problem). The previous owner then tried to get the light off by cutting the wires, and trying to eliminate the buckle switch. I've tried to illiminate the buckle myself, with no success. If you connect the cut wires back together, and the light still stays on, your buckle switch may be bad too. I'm currently trying to get the trouble codes from the srs unit, to confirm that my buckle is indeed the problem, before I get a replacement buckle. As far as your wireing, I have no idea. I have an ex with power seat, and the wireing is different. Good luck
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I connected those 2 wires, the problem is still there.

But im still not sure what this blue plug is for?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can, get the SRS codes read. If the trouble code is either 61 or 62 that is the codes for the buckle switch. If one of those numbers comes up, your driver side buckle switch is bad. The blue plug could be to hook up a test harness to the seat/airbag. The 61 or 62 trouble codes could be followed by a - and either a 1 or 2 and maybe some other generic number, but the 61 or 62 are the main numbers for the driver's side buckle.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might have to do that, but honda wants $105 JUST to read the codes.
Thats crazy..

Ok I just realized, the door panels and all the seats were replaced with the EX parts, therefore they are ALL leather.
Not sure why....... but basically I guess there is a different way the seats were hooked up and this person failed to hook it up the right way.

Does anyone know if theres a way to successfully connect the wiring for EX leather seats to LX wiring?
So complicated.

Last edited by Shane71701; 09-24-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if they can read SRS codes, but I'm going to try Advance auto parts. The buckle switch has three wires, on my V6 EX. If there are only two wires for your LX that could be part of the problem, with switching the seats. I am not a wireing expert, that's for sure, just an owner trying to solve this problem without an expensive trip to the dealership.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i see. Not sure, i did find out though that those 2 wires aren't going to my seatbelt.
The wires coming from my seatbelt is another blue plug and its already plugged into something.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gonna have my uncle who specializes in hondas look at it sometimes this week, hope he can figure it out. WISH ME LUCK.

Update: I just reconnected the seatbelt buckle wiring and the other two in the top picture.. I have a grey & grey/red wire coming out the power seat connector that is cut and I have no idea where it goes?

Last edited by Shane71701; 09-26-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do all of the power seat functions work, including the seat heater? I'm still thinking your buckle is causing the airbag light.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have heated seats, but the power seat is working yes... only because it was directly wired to the fusebox for some reason
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought all leather seats had heaters. Maybe that's what your extra/cut wires are for.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone else confirm whether or not ALL leather seats have heaters?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like a leather seat swap from an EX-L (Leather).

The leather seats have heaters.

These links may help you.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55029

Although it states DX, the following should include various wiring diagrams applicable to the DX, LX, and EX Accord (some diagrams related to the EX-L and V6 will not be included). Page 132 - Power seats. Page 208 - SRS components.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17898596/wiring%202004.pdf

The grey wiring from the seat may have to do with the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) - Page 210 of wiring circuit pdf. The OPDS module is located on the side of the seat. The driver's side heat seat has a grey wire and LT Green; but, does not show a grey/red.

Here is the wiring diagram for the EX-L heated seat circuit:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...8&d=1181668240

If you can't find someone with a scanner that can read SRS codes (most regular reader/scanners can't read SRS trouble codes), you can search the internet for the method to jump some pins on the OBD-II connector to read the SRS codes; but, do so at your own risk.

Good luck.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can go to the dealer and they suppose to check all the seat buckles for free. They have a lifetime warranty or 15 year warranty, I have an 02 Accord and all the seat buckle were replace by warranty. At least you will know if the problem is the buckle.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_94
you can go to the dealer and they suppose to check all the seat buckles for free. They have a lifetime warranty or 15 year warranty, I have an 02 Accord and all the seat buckle were replace by warranty. At least you will know if the problem is the buckle.
The newer Hondas have the 15 year or 150,000 miles seat belt warranty. Additionally, since this was a seat swap, the dealer may consider this as having been tampered with, so they may not cover it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shane71701

Under the other seat everything looks plugged in except for this green plug, maybe its an accessory plug?

Based on the EX-L heated seat diagram, the green plug should be for the passenger seat heated seat.

Last edited by tech8; 05-22-2022 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really do think these seats were switched out at one point. Although im still extremely confused on what kind of seats my car came with?

It seems IT WAS originally leather, but what happened to the wiring harness that came through the carpet to POWER my seats? its completely missing in action

If my seats were not leather originally, it seems I wouldn't have an airbag plug for them?
And I don't think leather seats would have come without the power seats option.
However, I do and also who would go through the trouble of ALSO replacing the door panels with leather and the whole backseat with leather?

Im really wondering how the power seats were originally supposed to hook up?
It seems theres nothing under this seat that could have powered them at one point. Im going to get a picture of how my power seats currently hooked up and maybe someone could show me how their wires are currently hooked up?
It would help to see where the POWER is run on someone elses that way maybe the wire is simply tucked away under my carpet and I could have a better idea of where to look for it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really do think these seats were switched out at one point. Although im still extremely confused on what kind of seats my car came with?

It seems IT WAS originally leather, but what happened to the wiring harness that came through the carpet to POWER my seats? its completely missing in action

If my seats were not leather originally, it seems I wouldn't have an airbag plug for them?
And I don't think leather seats would have come without the power seats option.
However, I do and also who would go through the trouble of ALSO replacing the door panels with leather and the whole backseat with leather?

Im really wondering how the power seats were originally supposed to hook up?
It seems theres nothing under this seat that could have powered them at one point. Im going to get a picture of how my power seats currently hooked up and maybe someone could show me how their wires are currently hooked up?
It would help to see where the POWER is run on someone elses that way maybe the wire is simply tucked away under my carpet and I could have a better idea of where to look for it.
See owner's manual excerpts:
Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
See owner's manual excerpts:
One problem with this though,
I have the 05 Honda accord LX "special edition"

which if im correct the special edition means they came with leather seats and possibly power seats?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One problem with this though,
I have the 05 Honda accord LX "special edition"

which if im correct the special edition means they came with leather seats and possibly power seats?
No. Most SE (Special Editions) for various Accord generations where just adding some of the features similar as the EX, such as the same engine, moonroof, alloy wheels, etc. Only EX-L or V6 had the leather. Yours should have came originally with cloth.

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/...tyle=100529940
Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is true, I did see that.
I think im going to give Honda a call and see if they can pull up originally what the car came with?
Thanks for all the help by the way. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. You can also go to Bernardi Honda Parts and put in your VIN to see. Even without the VIN, when you enter for a 4 cylinder SE, it will show cloth seats; however, if you select EX-L, etc. then you will see leather seats.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchO...a-accord-parts
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out you are EXACTLY right, after taking out the seats and examining the wiring.. this car was not supposed to have power seats.
the grey & grey/red wire is for the heater, it connects into a connection and on the other side the wires are the light green and grey (which is how I found out that its the heater) Maybe ill end up adding the heated seats option later on? nice to know I have them.

Anyways after reading the SRS light, I dont think the wires have anything to do with it.
It's telling me the front passenger seat belt needs replacing (4-2) and the SRS unit has failed (5-1, im guessing there's a crash code on it)

Buying the parts today, will update on whether or not it's fixed.

Last edited by Shane71701; 10-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:27 PM
Trial User

Seeing if you ever got it fixed I also have a honda that didn't have leather I added to my vehicle I belive its my passanger seat wires