Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec Killer Cams

Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec Killer Cams

Hey does anybody know of any company that makes a cam as loppy as the Toda Vtec killer cams but retains vtec?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec Killer Cams

why would you want that? What is the main goal of that?
That question is a contradiction...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
RESIDENT

Awesome 1st post...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you aren't looking for "VTEC KILLER" cams if you want to retain VTEC. Seems like you need to read more about Cams, you don't just drop in a big cam and gain power. You have to have the compression and complimenting modifications for that. Also the most important is to finish up with a TUNE.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AhSuM-EK
Hey does anybody know of any company that makes a cam as loppy as the Toda Vtec killer cams but retains vtec?
Lol
You need to do some research before posting
If I'm not mistaken primary & secondary lobes are the same size
Eliminating the vtec lobe
While maintaing sick lift & duration
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From this article:
One thing I'd like to mention is that, JDM aftermarket VTEC cams were mainly designed for circuit racing (roadracing in laymen terms). I always here people complaining about the high prices of JDM cams and engine parts. People need to understand that these are high quality parts and a lot of R&D is involved. The Japanese are all up on the road course racing tip and not too much into drag. Although, there are a few Japanese drag race companies, but I'm compelled to talk about that. My point is that, when people dyno their cars with these JDM aftermarket cams, such as Toda or Spoon, and they don't see the top-end power that they were anticipating to see, they should know why. Most of these cams are designed for mid-range power, which is needed on the circuit. So, not all JDM aftermarket cams are the right ones for your type of racing.
Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EusebioSam19
Lol
You need to do some research before posting
If I'm not mistaken primary & secondary lobes are the same size
Eliminating the vtec lobe
While maintaing sick lift & duration
The Vtec killer cams don't elimate the vtec lobe. They lose the low lobe.

They are basicly in vtec 24/7.

To my knowledge there is no such cam, unless you want to have one custom ground. Then, sure you can do it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Moonraker09
why would you want that? What is the main goal of that?
That question is a contradiction...
How is it? i checked punctuation and spelling. Seems right to me. I ask IF there is A cam as LOPPY as the Vtec killer cam but retains vtec...seems simple to me, its either a yes or no
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Then you aren't looking for "VTEC KILLER" cams if you want to retain VTEC. Seems like you need to read more about Cams, you don't just drop in a big cam and gain power. You have to have the compression and complimenting modifications for that. Also the most important is to finish up with a TUNE.
i know im not looking for a vtec killer cam, which is exactly why the question asks, IS THERE a cam as loppy as the vtec killer cam but reatins vtec....so i dont know how much more remidial i have to put it...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 98civdx
The Vtec killer cams don't elimate the vtec lobe. They lose the low lobe.

They are basicly in vtec 24/7.

To my knowledge there is no such cam, unless you want to have one custom ground. Then, sure you can do it.

thats the answer im looking for, i read online that its basically vtec thats always on, but you cant beat the sound of a vtec kick, almost comes out of nowhere. almost to scare the competition
Old 09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would someone want to run VTEC killer cams on a street motor, or cams that idle really rough? The whole beauty of VTEC is that you can have a nice smooth idle, good gas mileage and good low end as well as nice top end. VTEC was designed to allow an aggressive cam profile to be utilized without having the car sound like it's on the verge of dying constantly.

VTEC killer cams were meant for racing when variable valve timing isn't allowed. This would only be useful for drag racing or something where you need to stay in high RPMs where an aggressive cam profile like that will actually make power. Otherwise, you will make less power on the bottom end.

Also, since someone mentioned the cam design for a VTEC killer cam... they don't eliminate the secondary lobe. The two smaller lobes are the primary and secondary, and it's the VTEC lobe that's eliminated. If the VTEC lobe was used, then you would have to have VTEC engaged the whole time, and that takes a little oil pressure away from lubricating other parts, and it would probably fry the VTEC solenoid eventually.

If you're just going for sound. Forget it, it's not worth your time or money. A lot of guys run Skunk2 cams, $650 a set. Minimum you need to upgrade valve springs, about 200-250 or more. You should upgrade retainers, not sure offhand on price. I suggest Hondata S300 because of how well it works, something like $500. An ECU and chipping will be $150-200 or possibly more. Getting it dyno tuned is like $80 for 3 pulls here. Then you need to tune it at part throttle, so at the very least you're buying someone dinner for their time helping you tune.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are insanely high lift cams out there that are close to Vtec killers. THE ANSWER IS YES.....---- but if all you want is a rough idle? THE POINT IS unless you have a really really HIGHLY MODIFIED DRAG CAR YOU DONT NEED SUPER BIG "LOPPY" CAMS.... STOP BEING A RICER!!!!!!!!! we are trying to help while trying UNDERSTAND Y U ASK A WEIRD QUESTION UNLESS U WANT TO USE SUCH BIG CAMS
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't just throw a set of high lift cams in an otherwise stock/untuned motor. So when you get back to us with what your plans/mods/use is for the car then we can help you. But to answer the question which won't help you anyway the answer is YES. There are cams that have very high lift.