Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 Accord Overheating Issue

Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 96 Accord Overheating Issue

I have a 96 Honda Accord 4cyl. For several months now my cars temperature keeps rising up despite several repairs. So far the things that have been done are as follows: New radiator, the hoses were changed, a mechanic removed the heating system since I live in Miami, just recently one of the main hoses exploded so it was replaced, the circulating system as check for air pockets. Each and every time after repairing the car always seems to start heating up again and the only thing keeping the temp low is when its in motion and the air runs through the engine and the fan turns on after the car has been turned off. What can I do these repairs are starting to come out costly and I am getting really annoyed since each repair last like two weeks before it starts heating up again . HELP PLEASE !!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 96 Accord Overheating Issue

Originally Posted by chauti

...the only thing keeping the temp low is when its in motion and the air runs through the engine and the fan turns on after the car has been turned off.
Both are indications that the coolant is low. Does coolant level drop i.e., do you have to add coolant regularly?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the thermostat and run without it and see if it overheats.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting really annoyed since each repair last like two weeks before it starts heating up again . HELP PLEASE !!!!!
Agree with checking the coolant level......take it in., something is replaced and the coolant topped off....two weeks later the issue comes back. IMO-there is a leak somewhere....internal or external but it really sounds like a loss of coolant.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 96 Honda Accord 4cyl. For several months now my cars temperature keeps rising up despite several repairs. So far the things that have been done are as follows: New radiator, the hoses were changed, a mechanic removed the heating system since I live in Miami, just recently one of the main hoses exploded so it was replaced, the circulating system as check for air pockets. Each and every time after repairing the car always seems to start heating up again and the only thing keeping the temp low is when its in motion and the air runs through the engine and the fan turns on after the car has been turned off. What can I do these repairs are starting to come out costly and I am getting really annoyed since each repair last like two weeks before it starts heating up again . HELP PLEASE !!!!!
For several months????Poor engine man.Which main hoses exploded?Lower or upper?You must have had a little problem to start with, which turned
to a bigger problem.The only thing that wasn't touched is the thermostat.I don't remember on this model if you could install the thermostat incorrectly(happened to me once).If the thermostat is ok and the proper rating I would do a cylinder leak down test.Before going to big stuff do a pressure test of the system and see if pressure drops or not.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my problem was the head gasket
Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem , im starting to wonder if its the head gasket as well , i replaced thermostat main hoses radiator did a waterpump timing belt replacement corrected the timing, and it would still end up over heating i think its the headgasket.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea ive done all the same with replacing EVERYTHING and it ends up to be the damn gasket!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Try this simple test to see if it is the headgasket, it cost 25 bucks at autozone.

Also, I see no indication that you replaced your radiator cap.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: 96 Accord Overheating Issue

My overheating Accord is a 95, but can't imaging the 95 and 96 are tremendously different.

I puled the green cap at the thermostat as suggested and when I hook it up to my multi-meter, I get nearly 12VDC across the connection, but the drivers side fan does NOT turn on. Seems that most replies were related to a functioning drivers side fan when bridged.

I allowed the engine to warm up until the gauge passed the normal midpoint, about 3/4 of the way to red, then checked the plug the green cap attached to, checking ohms resistance. I expected to see a reading of zero, but saw a 1 instead.

Does this mean the drivers side fan is bad and needs replaced? The resistance across the thermostat plug would seem to me to indicate that it's faulty too?

By the way, I pulled out my ramps and put it on them to do the burp thing too.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn from AZ
"Sure it's a dry heat...but then so is fire!"
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Trial User

Hello jefferds
I'm battleling the same issue with the Honda accord LX.
I have the Headgasket replaced, and had the Water pump, put in a Honda Accord Thermostat, replaced the 4 Sensors One on the TS housing, One on the Upper house towards the Engine, two below the Distributor cap... Checked the relays, and the fuses, replaced the Radiator and the The passenger fan... It over heats...so check the specs on the sensors they are suppose to come on at a temp of 102to 105 C so they are doing that...
Boths fans when the AC is on should be running... even the fan come on when the car is off but the Niddle is still 3/4 to almost to the max up..I do not think that is normal... so something in the system send that temp out of wack and I'm not sure what else to check.

Any ideas that would help I welcome it.
Thank you,
Andrew
Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by greekcypriot
Hello jefferds
I'm battleling the same issue with the Honda accord LX.
I have the Headgasket replaced, and had the Water pump, put in a Honda Accord Thermostat, replaced the 4 Sensors One on the TS housing, One on the Upper house towards the Engine, two below the Distributor cap... Checked the relays, and the fuses, replaced the Radiator and the The passenger fan... It over heats...so check the specs on the sensors they are suppose to come on at a temp of 102to 105 C so they are doing that...
Boths fans when the AC is on should be running... even the fan come on when the car is off but the Niddle is still 3/4 to almost to the max up..I do not think that is normal... so something in the system send that temp out of wack and I'm not sure what else to check.

Any ideas that would help I welcome it.
Thank you,
Andrew
If the fan comes on when the car is off, you atleast know the fan is working. So then you turn ur attention to the fan switch on the thermostat housing. I can't tell for sure if you replaced that. That is the one that is back where the lower radiator hose goes to the back passenger side of the engine. Don't take any chances this time get one from honda and ask for the fan switch/sensor that is located in the thermostat housing.

The fan switch in the front of the engine nearest to the radiator really isn't even needed. It rarely does anything. It's only working in your instance because the car is overheating because the other sensor isn't doing its job.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sjefferds
My overheating Accord is a 95, but can't imaging the 95 and 96 are tremendously different.

I puled the green cap at the thermostat as suggested and when I hook it up to my multi-meter, I get nearly 12VDC across the connection, but the drivers side fan does NOT turn on. Seems that most replies were related to a functioning drivers side fan when bridged.

I allowed the engine to warm up until the gauge passed the normal midpoint, about 3/4 of the way to red, then checked the plug the green cap attached to, checking ohms resistance. I expected to see a reading of zero, but saw a 1 instead.

Does this mean the drivers side fan is bad and needs replaced? The resistance across the thermostat plug would seem to me to indicate that it's faulty too?

By the way, I pulled out my ramps and put it on them to do the burp thing too.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn from AZ
"Sure it's a dry heat...but then so is fire!"
What side are you testing.....and BTW that should be a ground (as I read the wire diagrams)???? So not sure how you get 12v on the wires.....

Anyway, jump the wires together (lower hose, NOT the upper-t-stat), turn the key on, BOTH fans should come on?

Last edited by poorman212; 08-14-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Trial User

On my 95 I did the key on, jumping the two wires with my multi-meter, I see nearly 12VDC, but the fan does NOT come on so I assume this means it's dead. Seems that just pulling the entire radiator is as easy as trying to remove the fan from the installed radiator.

As stated before, I let the car get warm and check across the thermostat switch and still see resistance, versus the no resistance I was expecting to see, so believe it's dead too. Anyone care to confirm one or both suspicions?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the easy thing to do is put 12v directly to the motors....

Did you jump the wires with a paper clip as asked?...BOTH fans should run.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your fan doesnt come on while the car is running and only comes on after you shut the car off most likely your t-stat is not working properly. It could be stuck closed or it could have a big *** air bubble in front of it not letting it open
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the fan comes on AFTER you shut it off the timer module could be bad. It is usually located behind the glove box.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Trial User

Thank you for the reply.... after several attempts it goes to show you that even thought you buy brand new parts they are not necessary that they will be working. It does not matter where you buy them.

I replaced the colling fan... and the new part it came from RockAuto... that went out two months in to operation... then in the myst of trying to see what else can make the car overheat... i replace the Temp sending unit too... well that was bad. Rock auto replaced the Fan since it was under warranty and that worked but then ended up findind out that the temp sending unit from NAPA was bad brrand new part so put in the old sending unit that out took out earlier in the week and all is working normal.
If someone would ask me me the cause... not sure what part fail... but i replaced all the temp sensors except the Sending unit the radior the Honda Thermostat the water pump and the Headgasket...This foreign made car are so electronically control that one thing can through off the system I think.

I hope this would help someone else.
thank you.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The first thing to do is always jumper 12 volts to the fan in question. If it runs then look elsewhere. It seems a lot of bad parts new out of the box is too common now. It took me much longer to fix my fan problem because of a bad out of the box fan relay. You can find electrical drawings on line by Googling your car.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how exactly do you safely and properly jump the fans together? I am having issues with the larger fan on the passenger side not coming on. I'd like to test it before I go on to other parts to see if that is what is causing my overheating while idle or low speed issue

(94 non vtec 4 cyl)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am having many of the same symptoms above and have concluded that it is the head gasket my question is...should i just do the head or should i do an engine swap???looking for the cheapest route...also need timing belt, water pump, and clutch...my poor car
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

How are you sure it's head gasket ?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by eymnewdc4
how exactly do you safely and properly jump the fans together? I am having issues with the larger fan on the passenger side not coming on. I'd like to test it before I go on to other parts to see if that is what is causing my overheating while idle or low speed issue

(94 non vtec 4 cyl)
Buy a set of "test leads" from any auto parts store. Then just run from the battery to the fan motor connector.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
How are you sure it's head gasket ?
well the biggest reason id that when i tried to burp the system...the air never stops coming...several people have told me that the only way air gets to your cooling system is from the combustion chamber...i am taking it tomorrow to get a leakdown test...as far as i can see there is no water in oil and no oil in coolant...the car runs and drives it just overheats about 1 mile after driving...the last time i drove it i pulled over and let it cool for a few min...i could only go 1-2 miles before it got close to to red again...needless to say my 12 mile trip took over an hour...i dont want to make thing worse and i definately dont want to be stranded...also there is no heat in the car and i know that could also be related...hot water not making it to the heater core due to exhaust in the cooling system...i could be wrong cuz this is all new to me....anyone got any ideas...would a bad water pump or hose allow air into the sytem???
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A leakdown test shows if there is leakage in the cooling system. There is a tester that can be attached to the radiator cap opening that will tell you if there are combustion particles in the coolant. Sounds to me like you have a stuck thermostat if you cannot go one mile. Combustion geeting into the coolant will not over heat the car that quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Accord Overheating Issue