Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2003 Pilot false miss code issue

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Pilot false miss code issue

I have a customer's 2003 Pilot which had a code for the knock sensor circuit. I found the problem and repaired it. Using my Snap On MT2500 [red brick] scanner, I cleared the fault code and road tested the SUV. Within 2 miles, the CHECK ENGINE lamp came back on. I found P0301 [ #1 cylinder ignition miss] in memory. I also found P1399 [random miss] in "pending codes". The engine runs perfectly. There is no missing in the engine. I tried substituting a known good ignition coil and a new spark plug into #1 cylinder. I cleared the codes again but they came back.
I then reviewed all the TSBs for this vehicle in AllData. I found a Honda Service News item [CLEARING DTCS IN GENERIC MODE OR WITH A GENERIC SCAN TOOL] relating to clearing codes using an aftermarket scan tool. Basically, it states that using any scan tool other than the newer Honda HDS scan tool causes all adaptive learn info to be deleted when you clear fault codes. They warn that false "miss" codes can be set, because the crankshaft pattern learn has been erased.
I found and followed the procedure [as best I could, because my Snap On scanner and my buddy's new Snap On Modis do not show data for CKP [crank sensor] learn.] This appears to have eliminated the P0301 miss code, but the P1399 "pending" code came back. This pending code also illuminates the CHECK ENGINE lamp.
Can anyone give me guidance on how to clear this code without deleting the adaptive learn for the crankshaft angle sensor?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Pilot false miss code issue

My Snap On scanner does not show the status of the crankshaft sensor pattern learn [adaptive learning] in the data stream. Fooling around with my scanner some more, I note that there is a feature called MODE 6. In this mode you must specify a 2 digit code for the date you want to see. There is no legend or info and what codes refer to what data. Does anyone know the code so that I can check the adaptive learn info for the crankshaft angle sensor on this 2003 Pilot???
Chaz
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Pilot false miss code issue

A little online research shows that the crankshaft angle sensor data I'm looking for is not in Mode 6. For the reference of other members, and for future searching, I will post the links to find Mode 6 definition info in a new thread.
Chaz