Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines

Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines

Just FYI:

I spoke to a SMOG Referee today (Santa Rosa) and I asked him about JDM engine replacements. Here is his response:

JDM engine swaps, though currently listed on the CARB website as legal if functionally identical to the engine their replacing, will NOT be certified at this moment in time. He emphasized that this policy has changed constantly over the past 10+ years, and that it could change again.

However, right now, the answer across the board is NO JDM ENGINES.

Please do not respond with evidence to the contrary unless it is directly from a SMOG Referee. We are not interested to know if your car passed a year ago or today, we all know that swaps slip through the cracks. What we ARE interested in is verbal/written statements from SMOG Referees regarding their current policy on JDM engine swaps.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines

You ask people to not respond with evidence to the contrary, BUT

where is your evidence of what the smog ref is saying is true?

what if he just thought you looked like some punk kid and decided to blow smoke up your ***? What if he purposely gave you false information?

just saying...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how the hell does a jdm engine change emissions anyway.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sayanything
You ask people to not respond with evidence to the contrary, BUT

where is your evidence of what the smog ref is saying is true?

what if he just thought you looked like some punk kid and decided to blow smoke up your ***? What if he purposely gave you false information?

just saying...
You have a valid point.

I was just commenting on the fact that there are lots of exceptions made and every station is going to vary in terms of leniency.

I'm going to try and find some written evidence, which would be nice. I agree with you, I have no idea of knowing what they're saying is true. I hope people will respond and refute what I found.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure you have to register your JDM motor first and get it checked out by a smog referee. If it passes they should give you a BARD sticker. With the sticker you should be able to smog with your JDM motor. But before you can get your BARD sticker you are going to have to replace some of the parts on your motor. Check out this link: this is just a starting point.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7734895_regi...alifornia.html
Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ we have been part of the above user's .5 posts per year. Sup stranger!?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpenguin
Just FYI:

I spoke to a SMOG Referee today (Santa Rosa) and I asked him about JDM engine replacements. Here is his response:

JDM engine swaps, though currently listed on the CARB website as legal if functionally identical to the engine their replacing, will NOT be certified at this moment in time. He emphasized that this policy has changed constantly over the past 10+ years, and that it could change again.

However, right now, the answer across the board is NO JDM ENGINES.

Please do not respond with evidence to the contrary unless it is directly from a SMOG Referee. We are not interested to know if your car passed a year ago or today, we all know that swaps slip through the cracks. What we ARE interested in is verbal/written statements from SMOG Referees regarding their current policy on JDM engine swaps.
First, your referee is wrong. They have NEVER been a legal swap in CA. But as long as they had all of the CA smog equipment connected refs would look the other way and pass em. However Refs were instructed to stop passing them. I am a smog technician. I have been telling people since last year their JDM engines will no longer be BAR'ed. An acquaintance of mine is a Referee AND a smog course instructor in Rio Hondo CC. He's on top the constant changes that occur in this industry.

This from the CARB website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
Engine Changes:
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

* The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

* If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

* All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

* Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

Rule #3 applies. No JDM engines have now, nor ever been considered CA certified engines. That rule has been in effect for the better part of 10 years. The rules have not changed, they just have not been enforced.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
First, your referee is wrong. They have NEVER been a legal swap in CA. But as long as they had all of the CA smog equipment connected refs would look the other way and pass em. However Refs were instructed to stop passing them. I am a smog technician. I have been telling people since last year their JDM engines will no longer be BAR'ed. An acquaintance of mine is a Referee AND a smog course instructor in Rio Hondo CC. He's on top the constant changes that occur in this industry.

This from the CARB website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
Engine Changes:
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

* The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

* If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

* All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

* Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

Rule #3 applies. No JDM engines have now, nor ever been considered CA certified engines. That rule has been in effect for the better part of 10 years. The rules have not changed, they just have not been enforced.
Thanks, DCFIVER, this is all good info.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

DCFIVER - Just curious, I had spoken to my local referee a number of years ago regarding the use of a SOHC ZC non VTEC in my 91 hatch. He had stated that there's no need to have it BAR'd because it's listed as a replacement engine in some book that every smog tech/shop should have access to. So I went to have my car smogged, of course the tech didn't want to smog it, and I informed him about what the referee had told me previously. He looked it up in whatever book he had, found it, and smogged my car. What is that book? And why would it list a ZC, being a JDM motor, as a legal replacement if they have never been legal to swap in CA?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 24TEN
DCFIVER - Just curious, I had spoken to my local referee a number of years ago regarding the use of a SOHC ZC non VTEC in my 91 hatch. He had stated that there's no need to have it BAR'd because it's listed as a replacement engine in some book that every smog tech/shop should have access to. So I went to have my car smogged, of course the tech didn't want to smog it, and I informed him about what the referee had told me previously. He looked it up in whatever book he had, found it, and smogged my car. What is that book? And why would it list a ZC, being a JDM motor, as a legal replacement if they have never been legal to swap in CA?
A replacement is different than a swap, at least in terms of the laws and restrictions that apply.

Don't try and apply logic, we're talking about the law (written by politicians).

It is illegal to swap in a JDM B18C in place of a different engine. It is legal to replace a US B18C1 with a JDM B18C.

No clue how or why the ZC is a legal replacement, but enjoy the fact that it is.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
A replacement is different than a swap...
My mistake, I thought the thread was regarding using any JDM engine and not specific to replacement/equivalent engines. Carry on
Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So is it safe to say some refs will still not "enforce" the rule?

Is there anyone out there who recently bar'd a JDM engine, key word being recently?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha well my stupid stock d15 nonvtev didnt pass. How about we just get jdm cars n just Register them in a diff. Stat
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go buy a non california car then put a jdm motor there rule number three is voided
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
There is no "book" of replacement engines(that I am aware of) But a number of years ago it would have passed. Smog books are outdated every 2 years. New editions and new laws are always hitting the books. We are required to take update courses every 2 years to keep up with the changes. When there is other information we should know and it cannot wait for the update course then the info is sent directly to us by the BAR.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fourthgenhatchB17
So is it safe to say some refs will still not "enforce" the rule?

Is there anyone out there who recently bar'd a JDM engine, key word being recently?
Not that I am aware of. You can usually find a smog tech who is willing to take some cash to pass your car, but I have never seen a Ref do this.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not that I am aware of. You can usually find a smog tech who is willing to take some cash to pass your car, but I have never seen a Ref do this.
Im not referring to crooked refs. Im talking about ref'ing a jdm engine or at least if the possiblity still exists today. I did it many years ago, as did other folks, but I still have a feeling it may be at the discretion of the ref, which is why its always a good idea to go and speak directly with whichever ref you are going to go through. I have a friend who wants to ref his b16a so we'll see how that pans out. I told him to hit up a few local ref spots and speak to them directly to find out what that particular ref looks for. Its about catering to that ref, not so much the law, lol..even though most of the time those 2 run parallel, just with slight variances.

Im well aware of the shady smog spots.

Last edited by fourthgenhatchB17; 03-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow. you California boys just have it hard. It was totally different when I lived in Livermore, CA years ago.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fourthgenhatchB17
Im not referring to crooked refs. Im talking about ref'ing a jdm engine or at least if the possiblity still exists today. I did it many years ago, as did other folks, but I still have a feeling it may be at the discretion of the ref, which is why its always a good idea to go and speak directly with whichever ref you are going to go through. I have a friend who wants to ref his b16a so we'll see how that pans out. I told him to hit up a few local ref spots and speak to them directly to find out what that particular ref looks for. Its about catering to that ref, not so much the law, lol..even though most of the time those 2 run parallel, just with slight variances.

Im well aware of the shady smog spots.
Well you can try. A BAR blast was released a couple of years ago specifically stating to no longer pass JDM engines. A Ref gig is pretty sweet and hard to acquire. I cant imagine a Ref risking trouble to pass an engine they were specifically asked not to pass. But you never know...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DCFIVER I got my car bar'd at rio hondo not to long ago. They now put the block # on the bar'd sticker.

Let's say I bar'd a usdm b18c1 and they put this block # on the sticker. But down the road the motor gives out would I now be able to swap in a jdm b18c gsr. Then take it back to the ref to get a new sticker for the jdm block?

IDK this might be a good option to use jdm motors
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ejwan
DCFIVER I got my car bar'd at rio hondo not to long ago. They now put the block # on the bar'd sticker.

Let's say I bar'd a usdm b18c1 and they put this block # on the sticker. But down the road the motor gives out would I now be able to swap in a jdm b18c gsr. Then take it back to the ref to get a new sticker for the jdm block?

IDK this might be a good option to use jdm motors
You'd have to ask Gus about the sticker. (Thats the Ref at Rio hondo) But no i dont belive you would be able to swap in a JDM engine, hence the point of this thread.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a jdm b16 in my integra and the nice BAR sticker in the door jam
you can get a jdm motor through ref easy if you know what they look for.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as of now my friend is putting a b16a into his ef going all carb legal.... also my friend is a smog tech with a licese to smog cars in california he has spoke to different refs and yes you could bar a jdm motor as long as you got the usdm intake manifold stock exaust with a cat o2 sensors nothing cut or spliced all of the emitions controls connected
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ejwan
Yea, good ol' Gus did that to both of my cars as well. Didnt really care for that because swapping in a replacement engine would not be possible without re-ref'n. He's the only ref Ive seen do that. I also remember filling him in on Honda engine differences when I ref'd my first car like 8 years ago. He asked me a bunch of questions about this and that, non related to my car or engine...then on my second car a few years later he hassled me over some stupid non issue crap. Wont ever help that guy again..

Anyways, hopefully my buddy hits up the ref soon (b16a into a 91 Integra) so I can update this thread with additional info.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
i have a jdm b16 in my integra and the nice BAR sticker in the door jam
you can get a jdm motor through ref easy if you know what they look for.
How long ago?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines