Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Timing Belt, 2005 Honda Pilot

Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Timing Belt, 2005 Honda Pilot

Hello All, I am collecting the parts to have my timing belt changed along with some other items. Have I got all the parts I need for the timing belt change? Suggestions?

Radiator Coolant
Water Pump w O ring
Auto Tensioner
Timing Belt
Dipstick O ring
Power Steering Belt
Alternator/Compressor Belt

I also have another question. Can you recommend some great sites for honda parts? Are some of the sites cheaper than others? Thanks.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt, 2005 Honda Pilot

Honda dealer only for the important stuff. Remove the thermostat & gasket to do a proper flush and since you think this old one is still good then replace it and keep the old one for a spare, you will need it later. Get the idler pulley too if you have one. Crank shaft and Cam shaft oil seals.

Do you need to remove the valve cover to get the top timing cover off, if so, get a valve cover gasket set. Does the timing covers have a rubber dust gasket on the edge that touches the block, if its not all messed up from oil leaking on it, RTV it back on the cover at the beginning of the job to give it time to dry, if its all messed up, get new gaskets and glue them on first. Get parts cleaner & brushes to clean things up in there too.

Dont be too aggressive cleaning old gasket off or digging the crank and cam seals out, you will damage the aluminium block.

Set up the timing before you start, #1 TDC compression stroke, mark the old belt (white out on the belt and gear tooth where they meet) and use it as a reference to the new belt, I always transfer the marks just as a backup plan. Double check your timing marks before disassembly to become familiar with where they are and be sure to rotate the crank two full times to recheck timing alignment when the new belt is on and properly tensioned before completing the whole job. Of course the marks you draw on the new belt will not realign, only the marks on the crank and cam gears.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE VALVE COVERS TO TAKE OFF THE TIMNG BELT COVERS...............
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello All, I performed the timing belt change with the following parts:

Two Gallons of Honda Coolant
Water Pump with O ring
Auto Tensioner
Timing Belt
Power Steering Belt
Anti-Seize Grease for the bolts you remove

Ok, I bought the water pump and the rest of the parts OEM and the water pump came with the new seal already installed....so I didn't need to order a new one...Duh! Ohhhh well..... This was definitely a two person job for a novice. I used the garage, tools and expertise of a local part time mechanic who had never replaced these parts on a Pilot. Everything went smooth and it took a solid 6 hours. The hardest part was getting the tensioner on and off. Also, we had radiator fluid going everywhere. Definitely have a few pans around and some cardboard to soak up the rest. We definitely DID NOT have to remove the valve cover. We didn't even go near it. We worked mostly from the top of the engine and wheel well access. Definitely had to remove the motor mount on the side. Oh, and check and double check the positions on the pulley so everything stays at top dead center. There are two marks on the pulleys. I don't know what the other mark is but you will be able to tell when everything is TDC. Make sure it stays there as you work. Again, my change was for a 2005 Pilot EX.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the process. I wish everyone would take pictures and post them as they work. It would help everyone so much. Thanks All.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with safety1910 that everyone who (successfully) completes this job should take and post pictures of each step of the procedure. As someone who is going to be doing this job for the first time today and tomorrow, having an illustrated narrative of what to expect, and how to avoid pitfalls, would be invaluable.

Congratulations safety1910. It seems you completed this task with fewer headaches than most first timers whose posts I have read.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Trial User

Did you need a "pulley Wrench"? A tool to hold the pulley when your torque to 181 or some ft.lbs
Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by vltjr
I agree with safety1910 that everyone who (successfully) completes this job should take and post pictures of each step of the procedure. As someone who is going to be doing this job for the first time today and tomorrow, having an illustrated narrative of what to expect, and how to avoid pitfalls, would be invaluable.

Congratulations safety1910. It seems you completed this task with fewer headaches than most first timers whose posts I have read.
The job is already difficult enough. Taking pictures would cost lots more valuable time. Of course it would be a nice touch. Just go to the Honda dealer and ask to see the shop manual. They will let you make photo-copies of all the necessary pages. Just take your time to look up the extra sections like water-pump removal/install and Power steering pump removal/install that the timing belt instructions reference. I wish I still had my photocopies or I would post them up, but I cannot find them.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
#1 Super Guy

Well I found all the copied pages from the 03/04 shop manual that I used to do my timing belt swap. It's kinda a lot to post but I'll try scanning them tomorrow at work. 14 pages just for the timing belt. I'll probably leave out the ones regarding the re-installation of a used timing belt.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
#1 Super Guy

Here it is:

Coolant drain & fill (necessary if your doing the water pump):

Timing Belt removal:

Timing Belt Adjuster pulley replacment:

Water Pump replacement:

New Timing Belt Install:

Used Timing Belt install:

Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: Timing Belt, 2005 Honda Pilot

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Here it is:

Coolant drain & fill (necessary if your doing the water pump):

Timing Belt removal:

Timing Belt Adjuster pulley replacment:

Water Pump replacement:

New Timing Belt Install:

Used Timing Belt install:

I just bought a 2005 Honda Pilot with 115,000 miles. What are the most important things or service parts that I need to replace and do? Like timing belt and water pump. Can anyone help?
Alex C.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi did you have the vales adjusted on the Pilot? Because I am having the belt and the water pump replace but I am not sure if I should do the vales.

Alex
Old 11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by safety1910
Hello All, I am collecting the parts to have my timing belt changed along with some other items. Have I got all the parts I need for the timing belt change? Suggestions?

Radiator Coolant
Water Pump w O ring
Auto Tensioner
Timing Belt
Dipstick O ring
Power Steering Belt

I also have another question. Can you recommend some great sites for honda parts? Are some of the sites cheaper than others? Thanks.

Thanks!
Water pump, coolant, drive belt, air filter, cabin filter and oil change. Just a suggestion
Old 11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dchautomotiveparts.com. That is where i get all my parts
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any one has pictures or video of how to do complete water pump, timing belt procedure step by step, including how to remove crankshaft pulley and bolt?

CelticKaro-2012
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any thing about 2005 Honda Pilot, I have to go a long trip.

Thank you all

CelticKaro-2012
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Trial User

Hope you already found the detailed post. In case you are still looking, here is the link: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-minivans-crossovers-trucks-80/honda-pilot-03-timing-belt-water-pump-2643497/