Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Reset procedure/tire pressure indicator.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset procedure/tire pressure indicator.

Anyone familiar with the "reset" procedure for resetting tire pressure indicators for my 2009 Accord? Planning on new set of sneakers near future. Are specialty tools and/or equipt. necessary to complete this task?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Reset procedure/tire pressure indicator.

yes... you're going to need to go into the dealer for a "relearn/reset"

there is a reset tool available but I dont know if you want to get into that for something that will only be used once or twice a year(if you have summer/winter tires)

you may be able to borrow one form another honda owner in your area
Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Trial User

honda dealerships has the tools to reset them
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell are you talking about???

What is there to relearn or reset???

Just mount the tires and go.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 AM
My Name is Nobody

Originally Posted by DELuth
What the hell are you talking about???

What is there to relearn or reset???

Just mount the tires and go.
Not necessarily. the TMPS system needs to relearn/identify the individual units again many times after moving the wheels away from the vehicle. If you are lucky enough that it doesn't then yes... drive away. If you need to have them require the sensors.. Honda Dealership or buy the reset tool
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's some misinformation in here that i will try and clear up.

- If you are simply replacing the tires with a matching size, nothing needs to be done to the tpms system.

- If you are replacing the rims, you will need to swap the sensors into the new rim (be careful, they only need to be torqued to ~3lbft). There is no need to relearn or reprogram, as the tpms control unit will already have those sensor id's memorized.

- If you are replacing the tires/rims and the tires are a different size, it's recommended that the tpms low pressure indicator is adjusted to accommodate the new threshold (example: the low pressure threshold must be lowered when installing the hfp rim package).

- The tpms system shouldn't ever need to have the sensors id's relearned regardless of how long/far the wheels were away from the vehicle (as long as sensor battery is ok). Because the tpms control unit will only search for the 4 sensor id's that were programmed into it, and those id's won't change.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
My Name is Nobody

Originally Posted by 90sedan
There's some misinformation in here that i will try and clear up.

- If you are simply replacing the tires with a matching size, nothing needs to be done to the tpms system.

- If you are replacing the rims, you will need to swap the sensors into the new rim (be careful, they only need to be torqued to ~3lbft). There is no need to relearn or reprogram, as the tpms control unit will already have those sensor id's memorized.

- If you are replacing the tires/rims and the tires are a different size, it's recommended that the tpms low pressure indicator is adjusted to accommodate the new threshold (example: the low pressure threshold must be lowered when installing the hfp rim package).

- The tpms system shouldn't ever need to have the sensors id's relearned regardless of how long/far the wheels were away from the vehicle (as long as sensor battery is ok). Because the tpms control unit will only search for the 4 sensor id's that were programmed into it, and those id's won't change.

thank you for that clarity. There have been some owners that had to have the units reprogrammed after wheel removal. Not myself personally, but quite a few have reported this
Old 10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And anyone that understands the system knows that moving the wheels away from the car will do nothing.

90sedan is 100% correct.

False hearsay is helping nobody. If you don't KNOW, don't post.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agree 100%. I have moved thousands of tires away from the vehicle and never have had a problem. That makes absolutley no sense.
90Sedan's post is spot on. Good note about being careful of the torque value. You are actually suppose to replace the "washer" anytime the sensor is removed from a rim.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Trial User

Also keep in mind that if the "TPMS" light comes on than, its an error with the sensors...vs, the tire with an exclamation point light, is for low tire pressure....i see people break the sensors all the time when mounting tiires...so if the TPMS light comes on and stays on, who ever installed your tires may have broken your sensors.