Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Honda Civic Visor Failure, We Need a Recall!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Visor Failure, We Need a Recall!

I've been reading many posts on different sites regarding the failure of Honda Civic visors. They crack and fall down in the line of sight for drivers. If your car is under warrantee consider yourself lucky because you can get it replaced. If you are out of warrantee, prepare to pay around $100 per visor. Mine broke at around 42,000 miles (2008 Civic). Others are saying that they have replaced visors multiple times. It is time for a recall. This is an obvious safety issue as the visor drops down and stays down, in the line of sight. Everyone who has had this problem should go to www.safercar.gov and file a complaint with NHTSA and the U.S. DOT. It's easy and it's online. If we can get enough Civic owners to file a complant, then perhaps they will force Honda to recall and replace the defective visors without cost to the owners.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic Visor Failure, We Need a Recall!

Originally Posted by tsassatrio
If you are out of warrantee, prepare to pay around $100 per visor.
Why pay $100 when you can order the part online for $40 shipped, take out 2 screws, replace and your done. 5 minutes tops. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=ROOF+LINING

Super cheap fix on this link if you don't mind ugly azz plastic bolts: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/18...plit-open.html
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
NO MERCY!

We do need a recall. My driver side visor failed (probably due to the heat). Bought a new one and replaced it. Literally the next day the passenger side visor took a ****.

I never really used them much until i started using a heat deflector for the front windshield which requires the visors to hold it in place. That's when they failed. Never used them earlier cause I had a window tint eyebrow put on my car from day one.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just one of many annoying small problems involving quality and finish!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my visors are fine. but then again, i hardly ever use them. they still feel brand new lol
but idk why my coat hangers broke or something and they just dangle and make noise when i hit bumps. its so annoying. and i never used those things.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hell yeah it needs a recall ! mine melted a week ago and its fckn $50 ! i used them once and i left it down and it melted ! now it feels weird driving with no visor..
Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ha, i was just talking about this the other day in this thread - https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...r#post43300845

and i got some flak because i said mine have failed multiple times. thankfully, they were all covered under warranty, but the problem is, HONDA won't f'n redesign stuff, it just keeps replacing **** with ****.

these cars are piles of **** compared to what they used to be, so i'm not surprised there are others having this exact issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine broke at 53000 miles. we def need a recall
Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty sure you can get them replaced for free if you have a warranty on your car left. I plan on getting mine done at my 30K mile inspection/service.

edit: There should be a TSB (technical service bulletin) for the visors. Kinda like there is for the tranny if you are aware of that issue.

The frickin hangers on the rear is another story. Not sure if they will fix those after 10k miles if you bought the car new. Them dang things swinging and making noise pisses me off sometimes!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

recall?is it a safety issue or just a convenience issue?if ppl would realize you cant push em all the way up against the windshield there would be no problem.design flaw yes.recall no.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:13 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by pw.hondatech
if ppl would realize you cant push em all the way up against the windshield there would be no problem.
untrue.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
NO MERCY!

recall?is it a safety issue or just a convenience issue?if ppl would realize you cant push em all the way up against the windshield there would be no problem.design flaw yes.recall no.
And of course you've seen first-hand that everyone pushes them up to the windshield right? Or is that just an assumption you're making. I for one noticed the issue for the first time because I just recently began using them to hold up a heat deflector for the front windshield. And in the hot humid Texas heat it was enough to make them easily fail.....BOTH of them within a day of each other.

Your bland assumption at thinking that everyone is forcing their visors to go beyond their intended range of motion is entirely ill-conceived and bears no supporting facts.

And you yourself admit to a "design flaw" in your quote.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by builthatch
but the problem is, HONDA won't f'n redesign stuff, it just keeps replacing **** with ****.
I say we all get them replaced once by Honda out of pocket (for those who aren't under warranty).....and since it comes with a one-year warranty on parts and labor.....keep using it and more than likely it will fail again before the year is up. At that point return again and again and again and again to the dealership, getting warranty repair after warranty repair on these visors.

Eventually enough people will have the same repeated repairs that Honda might get tired of it and finally re-design the damn thing.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is a design flaw but i have talked to enough customers and repalced enough of em that yea i can make that conclusion being in just as hot and more humid south louisiana.
you yourself admit to having pushed them to the windshield to hold up you heat shield.if you replace em and do the same the new ones will fail too.your behavior changed and they failed.hmm coinsidence.i dont think so.but there will still be no recall.it will redesign with the new body style.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
my visors are fine. but then again, i hardly ever use them. they still feel brand new lol
So did mine. Up until they split wide open out of f**king nowhere.

Keep using them.....I guarantee you they'll fail. Especially in that California heat of yours.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let me call the whaaaambulance.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 AM
NO MERCY!

it is a design flaw but i have talked to enough customers and repalced enough of em that yea i can make that conclusion being in just as hot and more humid south louisiana.
you yourself admit to having pushed them to the windshield to hold up you heat shield.if you replace em and do the same the new ones will fail too.your behavior changed and they failed.hmm coinsidence.i dont think so.but there will still be no recall.it will redesign with the new body style.
I never said I jammed them up to the windshield....I said I used them to hold up the heat deflector FOR the front windshield. Does that involve flexing them past the vertical position....YES. Every other car I've been in is more than capable of having visors that flex past the vertical position. They are designed to do that. If they were only supposed to go straight up and down without flexing back up in the other direction then people like me who are somewhat tall wouldn't be able to see the road with the visor sitting straight up and down. So YES they can flex the opposite way and are supposed to be able to do so without breaking.

I never changed my "behavior" towards them....I simply began USING them and that's when they failed. I never used them before because I have an eyebrow tint done on my car so I never needed them before and thus never used them before. You would know that if you read this entire thread.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 AM
NO MERCY!

let me call the whaaaambulance.
That's original. I think I used that in high school 10 years ago.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whenever i have my visors to the side and i make a left turn i get smacked. Would honda replace mine at no cost if im only at 28,000?? Would they replace the hangers in the back too? They do get ****ing annoying.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone is getting all worked up.tell you what......go buy from another car company and in a few years we will talk about all the many more problems in addition to its poor resale value compared to your civic.i just hate when ppl have an otherwise near perfect car from the #1 car manufacturer in the world and yet they still just have to find something to complain about.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 PM
MiG-21 superfan

someone is getting all worked up.tell you what......go buy from another car company and in a few years we will talk about all the many more problems in addition to its poor resale value compared to your civic.i just hate when ppl have an otherwise near perfect car from the #1 car manufacturer in the world and yet they still just have to find something to complain about.
you are wrong, MM05, lol. you can stick with this user name and i'll ban the other one, ok?

the car is not nearly what you are making it out to be. the company is not what it used to be - quality is not what dictates the end product any longer, the bean counters do. honda, now, is marginal at best compared to itself just 5 years ago, let alone 10, 15, 20 years ago. everyone has caught up or surpassed honda at this stage when you look at what they used to issue. they are a "me too" company who makes marginal products versus their peers and themselves. and wtf good is a resale value if the damn car while you have it does not live up to expectations? sorry to break the hearts of those that think like you, whomever you are, but if you've had hondas for any length of time, unmolested hondas, and can seriously say that the new cars are anything like those in the past, in terms of quality, you are dead wrong.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

again.buy another car line then and you'll see.it has all been proportional.even with the vast improvements gm has made in their product they are still sub par by current industry standards.toyota used to make a good car but now is more concerned with how many they can sell and quality has fallen to the wayside.can anyone in the class tell me when honda lost its edge????yes thats right students,when it started making cars in the us.can you say cars with a 1 or 5 at the beginning of the vin.ill still take a honda or ford for that matter over any other car out there.if they are so bad,do techs like me a favor and buy a vw mits or mazda or dodge.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wanted to chime in on this.

Although mine haven't failed yet* (2009 Si) my driver side Visor looks like it's about to break. I also live in TX where it's been pretty hot. I also noticed this issue after starting to use a windshield reflector. I noticed a couple weeks ago, after taking down the reflector and trying to flip the visor back to its default position, it was a little rough to do. While inspecting it, it seems as though part of the plastic is bending outward while going through the rotation to the default position. I'll see if I can't post some pictures later, but now that I know from this thread I can get them replaced, I'm taking it over to the dealership this week.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM
MiG-21 superfan

again.buy another car line then and you'll see.it has all been proportional.even with the vast improvements gm has made in their product they are still sub par by current industry standards.toyota used to make a good car but now is more concerned with how many they can sell and quality has fallen to the wayside.can anyone in the class tell me when honda lost its edge????yes thats right students,when it started making cars in the us.can you say cars with a 1 or 5 at the beginning of the vin.ill still take a honda or ford for that matter over any other car out there.if they are so bad,do techs like me a favor and buy a vw mits or mazda or dodge.
i have bought another car, a 2008 mazda. a ford-influenced mazda built in japan. i've had it since 1/08 and it's vastly superior to the two 8th gen si we've had. it's about on par with the '04 si my wife had in terms of quality.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will have to retract.mazda is making a better car these days.now that ford is involved so much.but to say vastly is probably delusional at best.as an overall car line in almost every rating system out there in almost every magazine on the market honda/acura ranks in the top five in the world.where exactly is mazda anyway?but enough of this childish bickering.im sorry i upset all of you.i join these sites to keep myself up to date with what ppl are seeing on thier hondas and what is fixing them and maybe to help out here and there.i just hate to hear ppl condemn a hole model line because thier sunvisors break.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda Civic Visor Failure, We Need a Recall!