Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Anyone know how to remove the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know how to remove the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals?

I'm in the middle of a timing belt change and I can't get the crankshaft oil seal out. I've tried pulling it w/ a dental pick but the pick just gets bent out of shape. I've also tried a flat head screw driver but it still won't come out. Anyone have any idea how I can remove this w/out damanging the crankshaft?

Also, anyone know how to remove the camshaft pulley? How can I hold the camshaft while loosening the bolt? I'd skip the seal replacement but I think a little bit of oil is seeping past the seal because there's oily residue in the area. When I replace this seal, do I have to remove the camshaft caps?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone know how to remove the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals?

Originally Posted by theineffable
Anyone have any idea how I can remove [the crankshaft oil seal] w/out damanging the crankshaft?
An ordinary wine bottle corkscrew works pretty well. Turn, twist, pull.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either that or gasket picks
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A. I'm in the middle of a timing belt change and I can't get the crankshaft oil seal out. I've tried pulling it w/ a dental pick but the pick just gets bent out of shape. I've also tried a flat head screw driver but it still won't come out. Anyone have any idea how I can remove this w/out damanging the crankshaft?

B. Also, anyone know how to remove the camshaft pulley? How can I hold the camshaft while loosening the bolt? I'd skip the seal replacement but I think a little bit of oil is seeping past the seal because there's oily residue in the area. When I replace this seal, do I have to remove the camshaft caps?
A. One guy just did this, and he used a standard screwdriver. See this post. A dental pick isn't strong enough, as you've found out. I'd hit the local parts store for a set of picks, or keep trying with the tools at your disposal.

B. Wedge something between the spokes of the pulley and the head so that it doesn't rotate, but take care not to bend it. The softer, the better. (like a small block of wood)

About the oil residue. How much is there? Is it possible that your valve cover gasket had been seeping? How "fresh" is the residue? Still wet, or older and dirty / dry?

Are you trying to replace the cylinder head plug, on the passenger side of the engine? It looks like you'd have to loosen the cap on that end.
If there's one on the driver's side, behind the camshaft pulley, it looks like you'd have to remove the rocket arm assembly in order to replace it.
(Looking at pics in the manual, I haven't personally had to replace these, so I can't say 100% if you do.)
Old 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
A. One guy just did this, and he used a standard screwdriver. See this post. A dental pick isn't strong enough, as you've found out. I'd hit the local parts store for a set of picks, or keep trying with the tools at your disposal.

B. Wedge something between the spokes of the pulley and the head so that it doesn't rotate, but take care not to bend it. The softer, the better. (like a small block of wood)

Are you trying to replace the cylinder head plug, on the passenger side of the engine? It looks like you'd have to loosen the cap on that end.
If there's one on the driver's side, behind the camshaft pulley, it looks like you'd have to remove the rocket arm assembly in order to replace it.
(Looking at pics in the manual, I haven't personally had to replace these, so I can't say 100% if you do.)
yes I'm trying to replace the oil seal. I heard I'm supposed to loosen the cam caps. Any idea if it's ok to loosen one side but not the others? I heard that there might be a very specific tightening procedure for cam caps.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Plead da Fif

yes I'm trying to replace the oil seal. I heard I'm supposed to loosen the cam caps. Any idea if it's ok to loosen one side but not the others? I heard that there might be a very specific tightening procedure for cam caps.
From what I'm looking at, you are correct, there is a specific, sequential procedure for loosening and (upon re-installation) torquing down the bolts for the camshaft holders. (including the end caps / 6mm bolts)
I don't imagine that loosening one side (that end cap) would cause severe damage. Torque spec is 8.7 lb-ft.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I'm looking at, you are correct, there is a specific, sequential procedure for loosening and (upon re-installation) torquing down the bolts for the rocker arm assembly. (including the end caps / 6mm bolts)
I don't imagine loosening one side would cause severe damage, but is it worth the risk?

I'll draw something up in a minute.
blah...so far this has been a pain in the *** learning process...

i got the crank pulley bolt off w/out too much trouble....used two $10 25" harbour freight breaker bars, a cheater pipe, crank pulley holder tool, extensions, and a jack stand

so far only 1 thing got broken. the top rear timing cover bolt wouldn't budge and when i cranked harder on it, the nut sert thingy broke off from the plastic. if i remove the camshaft pulley, i can probably replace this part (but it's also holiday tomorrow so honda isn't open)

i guess the other annoying thing is that the cam shaft oil seal appears to have some oily residue on it. this means that it's leaking a tiny bit?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Plead da Fif

Oh, you quoted me before I ninja-edited. lol

If there is no oil escaping from it (puddling, oozing, seeping, etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Take a picture of it, so I know what you're talking about when you say "oily residue." If it looks like it's been there, don't worry about it. If it looks like it's fresh and/or still leaking, then worry about it.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, you quoted me before I ninja-edited. lol

If there is no oil escaping from it (puddling, oozing, seeping, etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Take a picture of it, so I know what you're talking about when you say "oily residue." If it looks like it's been there, don't worry about it. If it looks like it's fresh and/or still leaking, then worry about it.
It looks as if maybe a drop or two of oil made It past the seal during the 125,000km that I've owned the car. I think I'm going to just leave it and I'll deal with it if it does leak in the future.

Btw, I finally got the crank oil seal off. The corkscrew worked but it still wasn't easy. Note these Honda oil seals are made of metal that has been coated with rubber. That's why it was so damn hard to remove compared to regular rubber seals found on some other cars
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Re: Anyone know how to remove the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals?

I have had good (safe) results by carefully drilling a pair of small holes in the crankshaft seal, installing a pair of screws (once I tapped threads and used machine screws) and pulling on the both screws with needle-nose pliers at the same time. Clean behind the seal to remove any metal filings.