Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Tire Trailer for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Trailer for HPDE

After a few years of HPDE and street tires, then Azenis, I went to R888's. I did drive to the track at first, but decided that added tire wear and expense might make a trailer worthwhile. After searching the forums, I used the standard HF, 12" wheel, trailer kit, then added aluminum floor, tire rack, box and gas cans. I first tried loading all of this including tires in the back of the car and did not enjoy that, especially at the end of the day. I got ideas from this and other forum "Tire Trailer" posts and and modified to suit. Tires lock on as does gas. Rotopax gas cans that have not leaked yet and allow about 4 gallons. Saves that trip at noon for extra gas. Built the trailer, and then found the gas cans and added. Total about 500-550 lbs loaded including gas, jack, tools, spare trailer tire, and tires. About 60-70 lbs tongue weight. Pulls easliy at highway speed. I removed one leaf as the trailer was rated at about 1170 lbs. It is a short coupled trailer that is bounces and makes noise transmitted through the hitch on rough road or bumps. It works well for me as it is much easier than the car to load. Stands against the wall in the garage when unloaded
Attached Images      
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Tire Trailer for HPDE

Very nicely done. I like it.
Can beat those HF trailers for their cost.

Last edited by dirty19; 06-09-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that is a nice design there. I keep kicking around the idea of doing this, but...I can still fit all my **** in the back of the Civic, so I also can't justify it Though it would be nice to have everything loaded up and just attach the trailer at the end of a weekend.

How much did all that cost you, and where did you find the gas cans?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HF trailer about $200, but, find a sale without a coupon, then use a 20% off any single purchase found monthly any many auto mags. I got aluminum sheets from a "scrap yard" at scrap price of $2.50/lb so about $50. Box $37. Spare $40. The gas cans were about the only kind to fit, but also one of the best, but about $100 for two, 2 gallon cans. The company is Rotopax at

http://www.rotopax.com/?gclid=CJ-1ie...FQP7agodcRK7bg

and found on Ebay with the same seller/distributor. Various mounting bits and some fabrication and welding. Add a hitch, best I found at E-Trailer. Easy to sink $500+ with hitch. You can use plywood instead of aluminum and save. I find it very convenient.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really nice design on this... One thing to keep in mind, is that there may be a speed limit on the freeway with the trailer. Here in California, the speed limit for cars is say 65 or 70 mph, but the limit is usually just 55mph with a trailer. Hopefully the police won't give a ticket, but I've heard of a Miata driver with a tire trailer getting a ticket. Personally, I've got a 20' enclosed trailer, and I usually go say 60-70mph on the freeways, and haven't got any tickets so far. - Jim
Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish HB had a canadian equivalent.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice, if I had the room to store the trailer I would definitely do this.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Storage is not too bad. It stands on the back bar, upright with the tongue up and the storage box against the wall. Track tires off, of course, and trailer tires sticking out. Trailer tries can come off for longer term, such as winter, to decrease the footprint.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
PM Garage

nice I like those gas tanks
Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that is awesome! I would love to have something like this but I don't have the place to store it yet...
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a chance to use the trailer again, HPDE day. I took a couple shots to show storage, how little space it can use. I have it against a garage wall in line with mower, air compressor and household stuff. Could also be outside against a wall under a deck. I did it that way when building at a friend’s house. It is about 50” tall plus the tongue, or 80”total, 54 inches across the fenders, and sticks out about 36” at the tires, about 30” if you remove tires/wheels and then have hubs. The 36” out from the wall is the worst, since it is more than most mowers, etc. The wood frame on the floor allow for easy repetitive alignment. Hit the slot and lift. Wood prop at axle to hold against the wall, and safety chain.
Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by Drive 4 fun
I first tried loading all of this including tires in the back of the car and did not enjoy that, especially at the end of the day.
I don't get it. I can fit just about anything in my Integra. I usually go to the track with 7 track tires (sometimes as many as 10), plus assorted tools, jack, helmet, overnight bag, big cooler, etc, and I have never loaded the car to the point where I couldn't fit a lot more stuff inside if I wanted.

And at the end of the day, it's a lot easier to throw tires and stuff into the car and not have to hook up a trailer; what's the big deal?

I mean, do whatever you want, I'm happy that you have a solution you like. But I just don't see the need.

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
I can still fit all my **** in the back of the Civic, so I also can't justify it

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
Though it would be nice to have everything loaded up and just attach the trailer at the end of a weekend.
After your last session of the weekend, you still have to take the tires off the car, so I don't see the difference between throwing them in the car and throwing them on the trailer.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
I don't get it. I can fit just about anything in my Integra. I usually go to the track with 7 track tires (sometimes as many as 10), plus assorted tools, jack, helmet, overnight bag, big cooler, etc, and I have never loaded the car to the point where I couldn't fit a lot more stuff inside if I wanted.

And at the end of the day, it's a lot easier to throw tires and stuff into the car and not have to hook up a trailer; what's the big deal?

I mean, do whatever you want, I'm happy that you have a solution you like. But I just don't see the need.

After your last session of the weekend, you still have to take the tires off the car, so I don't see the difference between throwing them in the car and throwing them on the trailer.
I'd sometimes wish I did the trailer years ago. I guess because my car is also my daily driver and I take my kids with me. One time I forgot to clean the seats and my kids sat on the rear bench and were covered in brake/tire dust. Not fun. Plus keeps the interior of your car nicer and of course less chance of scratches to plastic and glass.

Hatchbacks have more room of course, I had a coupe and could barely fit much in it as compared to my hatchbacks.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't justify it on need. as I probably do not need to go to the track in the first place. I find it easier on my neck and back to lift tires onto the trailer than "throwing" them into the back of the car. I guess the leverage is different. Yes, I still have to change the car to HPDE ready, and then back to street. It was easier yet when I drove the tires to the track, and set up every thing at home. Just thought that I would share as others seem interested in the trailer, at the track.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will add a few other trailer pictures for ideas. I am beginning to see trailers at the track this year. I saw a few at autocross events prior years, but now at HPDE. More people are traveling to tracks at enough distance that they do not want to drive their track tires. Also a Miata thread that shows a trailer with upright post and a little more high tech, but still Harbor Freight. For more or larger tires, the rack can be across the front of the trailer where the carrier rails can extend to fender width. The Box and tools go on the back for balance. In front of the fenders is enough room to use a rack across a deck, on top of it, but extending out both sides to about 54", fender width. I was able to be inside the frame with 4 tires/wheels and keep the CG low by letting the tires hang slightly through the floor.

Miata thread:
http://www.wizco.net/MX5/Mods/autocross_trailer.htm
Attached Images    
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Need or no need...
Its a cool concept and a good way to carry more to the track and not fill up your car with tires and everything else.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the guy way above..how do you fit 10 tires in an integra?? tires or tires on wheels? I'm assuming the trunk is open?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

IM guessing PFM... never discount how much you can cram into a race car.
If you need it..... You'll find a way to get it there.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
I enjoy seeing how much ingenuity and creativity people come up with.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by a97b18b
for the guy way above..how do you fit 10 tires in an integra?? tires or tires on wheels? I'm assuming the trunk is open?
10 is easy. You can actually fit up to 14 full-sized (195/55-15 or 205/50-15) wheels/tires inside an Integra, and drive it with the hatch closed. This is for any '94-01 3-door Integra, with the rear seats folded down.

1 in the spare tire well
2 flat on the floor on the driver side of the rear of the hatch
4 standing up in a row between the rear wheels (tires in the same orientation as the ones on the car)
4 with two behind each seat parallel to the seat back (one sits on the floor and one sits on the folded-down front edge of the seat back)
3 on top of the passenger seat (two tires in the same orientation as the ones in the car, and I forget where the last one goes, maybe on top - it's been a while since I did this)

That's how you can squeeze in 14. I almost never take more than 6-8 tires with me to the track. Fitting up to eight tires is really easy and leaves plenty of space for my helmet, overnight bag, tool box, cooler, jack, etc (and passenger, if needed). Here's where I put them:

1 in the spare tire well
2 flat on the floor on the driver side hatch* (folded-down rear seat)
2 flat on the floor on the passenger side hatch (folded-down rear seat)
1 behind the passenger seat parallel to the seat back (sits on the floor)

*I use a rope to tie these to the bar on the rear of the hatch, so they don't crush me in case of an accident or sudden stop.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

A master at packing!

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
10 is easy. You can actually fit up to 14 full-sized (195/55-15 or 205/50-15) wheels/tires inside an Integra, and drive it with the hatch closed. This is for any '94-01 3-door Integra, with the rear seats folded down.

1 in the spare tire well
4 standing up in a row between the rear wheels (tires in the same orientation as the ones on the car)
4 with two behind each seat parallel to the seat back (one sits on the floor and one sits on the folded-down front edge of the seat back)
3 on top of the passenger seat (two tires in the same orientation as the ones in the car, and I forget where the last one goes, maybe on top - it's been a while since I did this)

That's how you can squeeze in 14. I almost never take more than 6-8 tires with me to the track. Fitting up to eight tires is really easy and leaves plenty of space for my helmet, overnight bag, tool box, cooler, jack, etc (and passenger, if needed). Here's where I put them:

1 in the spare tire well
2 flat on the floor on the driver side hatch* (folded-down rear seat)
2 flat on the floor on the passenger side hatch (folded-down rear seat)
1 behind the passenger seat parallel to the seat back (sits on the floor)

*I use a rope to tie these to the bar on the rear of the hatch, so they don't crush me in case of an accident or sudden stop.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely doable. I had 12 (some wheels and tires mounted, some tires, some wheels) in my 91 Civic hatchback, but those hatches swallow everything. And I grew up loving puzzles

I even made a tire rack for my Yakima bike rack for a couple events. Chucked that idea when I couldn't get above 65mph Got lots of funny stares from people, but that was for the 2005 NE Divisionals where I brought everything (jack, toolbox, 2 tubs of stuff, 4 wheels/tires, video camera, camera, helmet, shoes and gloves, air tank, water sprayer, gas tank, mountain bike, EZUP canopy, folding chair, cooler, 1 case of water, cordless impact driver) including 1 suitcase.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What did u use for the hitch? I want to do this for my civic coupe with roll bar and fixed back seats
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All,

Since OP and no one else responded I figured I'd update what you can use for a hitch after talking to a bunch of auto-x guys who religiously use tire trailers since u really don't need a real trailer to drive in a parking lot (sorry for being a dick-- I actually love auto-x hahah).

Here's what they recommend:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eh0hoC-ybw_wcB

It's a Curt Brand hitch.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dilbones
All,

Since OP and no one else responded I figured I'd update what you can use for a hitch after talking to a bunch of auto-x guys who religiously use tire trailers since u really don't need a real trailer to drive in a parking lot (sorry for being a dick-- I actually love auto-x hahah).

Here's what they recommend:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eh0hoC-ybw_wcB

It's a Curt Brand hitch.
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm looking at setups and this was very useful.