Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
questseek
New User
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Power Steering Noise and foaming fluid

I have a Honda Accord v-6 , when it's cold the powersteering pump makes noise .
The steering in the car is fine , but I notice when it's cold on start up the the pump makes noise , when car is standing still and I turn the wheel from left to right it also makes noise and sometimes the power steering fluid in reserve foams up.. Sometimes when driving it still makes a noise and sometimes the noise goes away.. Please help!
questseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
The Jar
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Power Steering Noise and foaming fluid

Check the fluid level. Check for leaks in the PS fluid line. My PS cooler was corroded and leaking fluid and that was the cause of the noise. No other ideas.
The Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
nicolaselias
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I had a simialr problem and it was one of the bearings (and accompanying seals) in the power steering pump itself
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
nus_dogg
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Honda Accord

Yeah, gotta make sure your pwr steering fluid level is full at its mark.
Originally Posted by toycar View Post
Breaking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.
nus_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
uccjxe
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

There are instructions somewhere posted on replacing the shaft seal on PS pumps; they suck in air (esp in cold when fluid is thicker) and cause foaming. Also check the two clamps on the suction hose from the reservior to the pump.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccjxe View Post
There are instructions somewhere posted on replacing the shaft seal on PS pumps; they suck in air (esp in cold when fluid is thicker) and cause foaming. Also check the two clamps on the suction hose from the reservior to the pump.
Bingo, I'd wager you have an air leak somewhere in the line, look around the PS components and see if you see any leaks.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
shortlid
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Accord

Icon2 Re: Power Steering Noise and foaming fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccjxe View Post
My P/S pump on my '99 EX 4 cyl. sedan is weeping out the pump body. Bought seals to rebuild pump but instructions would be SWEET!! Anyoen know where there posted??
My wife had a '99 Civic EX Sedan 5-speed (RIP deer ran into the pass. side of it!) and I have '99 Accord EX 4-cyl. Sedan in 5-speed with 190k on the clock. I want to take my Honda to 300k so I am going to need some help!!
shortlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
H23-Vtec
New User
Garage is empty, add now

if u r xperiencing squeaking noise while turnin or wn idle then change d steering belt it shud solve ur prob. bou d pump no idea
H23-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
skavfive
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Post Re: Power Steering Noise and foaming fluid--warning read the service bulletin

I had this same problem--there is a service bulletin for a worn rubber o-ring in the inlet line for 03-08 V6 Accords that lets air into the system making the noise--especially when cold. The Honda dealer didn't even know it and first flushed and changed the reservoir and then tried to sell me a new pump.
Only after I showed him the bulletin did they hand me the o-ring and I fixed it myself in twenty minutes. I replaced the o-ring and the noise went away immediately.
The dealership was embarrassed and refunded my money for the flush, but I wonder how many $600 power steering pump replacements they did instead of replacing the 25 cent o-ring.

-Skavfive:
skavfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
HonBeer
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

?? Is that some sort of english? We dont need that on this forum. We should not have to work to try and that jibberish your typing!
HonBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
slomofo
GDD Member
1991 GTR .

iTrader Rating: (1)
solbrothers xtrac1 George Knighton ILcrxsi1 uncle_ben
Send a message via ICQ to slomofo Send a message via AIM to slomofo Send a message via MSN to slomofo Send a message via Yahoo to slomofo Send a message via Skype™ to slomofo
Default Re: Power Steering Noise and foaming fluid--warning read the service bulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skavfive View Post
I had this same problem--there is a service bulletin for a worn rubber o-ring in the inlet line for 03-08 V6 Accords that lets air into the system making the noise--especially when cold. The Honda dealer didn't even know it and first flushed and changed the reservoir and then tried to sell me a new pump.
Only after I showed him the bulletin did they hand me the o-ring and I fixed it myself in twenty minutes. I replaced the o-ring and the noise went away immediately.
The dealership was embarrassed and refunded my money for the flush, but I wonder how many $600 power steering pump replacements they did instead of replacing the 25 cent o-ring.

-Skavfive:
This man speaks the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonBeer View Post
?? Is that some sort of english? We dont need that on this forum. We should not have to work to try and that jibberish your typing!

It appears that his writing is more legible than yours. Please pack up your useless posts and show yourself the door now.

PS - You can take your improper punctuation with you.
slomofo is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1990, 97, accord, civic, cooler, fluid, foaming, foming, honda, lx, making, noise, power, pump, pwr, steering