Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to register a car from japan, (rhd)???

Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to register a car from japan, (rhd)???

I am close to buying a car that's rhd and i wanna know how much it will cost if the car needs to be registered for the first time. Also, will it take just money to get it registered or do you need to know someone. Let me knowwww
Old 10-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (rhd)??? (k3vin337)

if you can drive that car onto U.S. soil from canada or mexico, you can get it registered as a kit car for you state and insure it as a kit car
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you can drive that car onto U.S. soil from canada or mexico, you can get it registered as a kit car for you state and insure it as a kit car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong not every state will do that. Here In Alabama the only way to register anything under as a kit car you have to show where and how you got each part for the car and who manufactured the actuall kit. And it cant be a production car of any sorts. I kniw cause i tried and almost got it done until they realized it was a civic.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (per4mance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by per4mance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong not every state will do that. Here In Alabama the only way to register anything under as a kit car you have to show where and how you got each part for the car and who manufactured the actuall kit. And it cant be a production car of any sorts. I kniw cause i tried and almost got it done until they realized it was a civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha you didnt do it the right way contact me and give me a link to your DOT laws i can probably help you. we have a few RHD here in sunny florida, mostly supras, civics, and some skylines
Old 10-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha you didnt do it the right way contact me and give me a link to your DOT laws i can probably help you. we have a few RHD here in sunny florida, mostly supras, civics, and some skylines </TD></TR></TABLE>

I pm'ed you
Old 10-24-2008, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (per4mance)

any reputable sources for purchasing/importing a real RHD car???
Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (aznlaoboi315)

gspeedcorp
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

agree with m_shake, its where i got my jdm engines
Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

george @ gspeed is the man and if your serious he can give you a helping hand on the reg info
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (rhd)???

just contacted them. I'm looking for a RHD CRV.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m_shake
george @ gspeed is the man and if your serious he can give you a helping hand on the reg info
x2. Also, you can go to Scottsdale, AZ. My friend lives out there now, business moved from Gardena, CA in 2005. Has a LEGIT RHD Silvia S15 and couldn't register in CA. So, he contacted me regarding about registering your LEGIT RHD car(not cut in half and welded) in AZ, and then register it in CA.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

Is it easier to register in AZ?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Ryan
Is it easier to register in AZ?
Well, all they asked was the paperwork of the car and he paid the fees. He said about $500. And he got the Arizona license plates.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i heard ANYTHING goes in florida
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
New User

well i might get a rhd eg an i was wondering if i can get a permit to drive it from cali to washington an then try to register it here in wash. u think it possible
Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is an old thread but I need to know how. Can someone please explain more? Seeing alot of nice rhd car for sale that is unregistered.I live in ma. Should I just go to the rmv and ask?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Japan, I talk to a lot of guys trying to do this and I hear its big bucks through these bonded brokers in the states but I see there is a contact listed above, if one of you guys contact the man, can you post an approximate estimate to get a RHD legally on the road.

What I do know is a RHD can go to Canada with no problem straight from Japan if its 15 years old, to the USA, its 25 years old. Again, other than that, its big bucks, let us know an estimate please for a RHD that does not need modified to US specs or made into a LHD. I have also heard that if the car is completely disassembled, it can be reassembled with all original parts, but is that a kit car, and can you do that in your state?

I did see a guy make a car into stricktly a race car, gutted the interior, no lights and many other mods, he sent picture to some place in the states, did some paperwork, and shipped his car to the US as a race car only. S13 I believe.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to register a car from japan, (aznlaoboi315)

Originally Posted by m_shake
gspeedcorp
websites no good whats the deal??
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah gspeed is no more....at least for the time being
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interested as well. Want to import a Crown to the US
Old 08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is the purpose of a rhd car in the states?why spend the cash for a rhd?How could you benefit from it at all besides being differant or just looks?Definatly not where i would want to waist my money in a car.Dangerous on a two lane road espesially when passing a slower vehicle.
Ya ive seen rhd in florida when i lived there.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racer76j
what is the purpose of a rhd car in the states?why spend the cash for a rhd?How could you benefit from it at all besides being differant or just looks?Definatly not where i would want to waist my money in a car.Dangerous on a two lane road espesially when passing a slower vehicle.
Ya ive seen rhd in florida when i lived there.
Being different is a big part of it, but another big reason is that some car models and specific variants of those models were only released in RHD.

Additionally, the later model Japanese integras looked completely different than the ones we have in the states; so unless you want a hacked up car then shipping one from Japan might be the only way.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the model you want is 15 years old or older up to 25 then you have it shipped to Canada, have it registared and then they sell it to you in the US. If it is less than 15 years old, you pay to have it put into US Spec visually and via emission standards, then you put everything back to JDM spec and you are good to go.

What year VIP Crown are you looking for.

There is no danger driving on the RHD side of the car on a LHD road, it only takes a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, lots of Japanese drive US Spec vehicles over here all day long, no problems there.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gixxer508
I know this is an old thread but I need to know how. Can someone please explain more? Seeing alot of nice rhd car for sale that is unregistered.I live in ma. Should I just go to the rmv and ask?
Make sure the car you get has papers(ie: jap title and or de-registration papers. Ask the DMV or whatever it's called there what is needed to make a off-road use vehicle street legal. And yes I know this post is pretty old...what can I say, I'm bored right now
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, I know this is an old thread. I want to hear from someone who has imported a car from either Japan or Europe. I have a relative who owns a used car dealership in England and can get Evo's, Civic Type R's etc from Japan relatively easy at an awesome price. I'm inquiring to find someone who has imported a car from abroad to the Eastcoast. I know the regulations found on the various government websites Dot,Nhtsa, etc.. Going through the regs it appears to be a headache and really expensive. I know there is people who are doing this.. Just look at Japanese sports cars on Ebay and youll find everyday enthusiast selling JDM cars that have been imported and titled successfully at really high prices. I found most of these listings are coming from Florida. Meaning a lax port authority and DMV laws. Anybody who has had experience on successfully importing a car and registering it in Florida, NC or anywhere else in the Continental US I will love to hear from you. I look forward to hearing for you and sorry for such a long post. Im also looking for the right candidate for employment in helping to start an import car business. Sorry for the long post. Daaviatoralex@gmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to register a car from japan, (rhd)???