Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
PIC
58.96%
AMR
27.36%
None
13.68%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

PIC PERFORMANCE VS AMR

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: PIC PERFORMANCE VS AMR

Originally Posted by phunhaus
Then what is the value? If the part was good enough to never need a warranty (let's play Devil's advocate) then why offer any warranty at all? If Koni makes shocks so good they'll never have to be revalved or rebuilt (facetious but let's play along) then why have a lifetime warranty? Would it be better than offering a year? Two years? Three years?

If the part lasts, it lasts. If it comes with a one-year warranty that doesn't mean it's designed to last 13 months. I think you're interpreting a "warranty" period as a shelf-life. If I made the best widget in the whole wide world and put a 3 month warranty on it, would you call it a piece of ****? Why does it have to come with a lifetime warranty to be good or even just better?

Guaranteed for Life brake pads from Autozone aren't that good. Everyone knows that but they don't mind taking the brake pads off frequently to take them in the store and get new ones. Try that with dampers, coilovers, or whatever. How many people have you seen bitch about the wait time on rebuilding their "lifetime warranty" dampers? I'm not saying it's a bad thing but PLEASE stop touting it as the end-all be-all method to shop for suspension.
You are right on the part of customers bitching about the down time of their vehicles when the shock/struts do need re-servicing but that is just the nature of the beast. I'm glad you brought up Koni shocks they are the perfect example. They perform well and have a lifetime warranty. I know a hand full of guys who have blown their Koni's from years of heavy driving and not mis-use. At the end of the day/week/month they got either new replacements or got their shock rebuilt for the amazing price of FREE. It might not be an end all way to choose your suspension, but in the long run it shure does help. On these two shocks they most likely perform about the same, one we know is built to custom spec and the other is cookie cutter, the price difference isn't too great. That pretty much leaves the warranty from there.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that is guaranteed is that if you actually drive your car hard and on the track, you will have to rebuild your shocks. Regardless of who makes them. Just because you have an Ohlins $3k setup does NOT mean it's going to last forever.

I really doubt a hard core enthusiast buys one suspension setup and expects to race a few seasons on them without having them rebuilt.

Lastly, you guys sound like you are arguing over which suspension in a way that better/pricier/custom valved = faster.

IMO, buy the most practical setup that will get you around the track the fastest. If AMR and PIC both give competitive times, I'd consider them equally as good.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oldskool teggy
The only thing that is guaranteed is that if you actually drive your car hard and on the track, you will have to rebuild your shocks. Regardless of who makes them. Just because you have an Ohlins $3k setup does NOT mean it's going to last forever.

I really doubt a hard core enthusiast buys one suspension setup and expects to race a few seasons on them without having them rebuilt.

Lastly, you guys sound like you are arguing over which suspension in a way that better/pricier/custom valved = faster.

IMO, buy the most practical setup that will get you around the track the fastest. If AMR and PIC both give competitive times, I'd consider them equally as good.
This thread is a poll and it's asking why you would go with one or the other. I gave my reasoning why.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by STOCK_SOHC_DX
You are right on the part of customers bitching about the down time of their vehicles when the shock/struts do need re-servicing but that is just the nature of the beast. I'm glad you brought up Koni shocks they are the perfect example. They perform well and have a lifetime warranty. I know a hand full of guys who have blown their Koni's from years of heavy driving and not mis-use. At the end of the day/week/month they got either new replacements or got their shock rebuilt for the amazing price of FREE. It might not be an end all way to choose your suspension, but in the long run it shure does help. On these two shocks they most likely perform about the same, one we know is built to custom spec and the other is cookie cutter, the price difference isn't too great. That pretty much leaves the warranty from there.
When you find the formula that works, and works consistently, its something you stick to. A casual buyer may not always appreciate consistent performance, but a serious user does. So, funny how well the cookie cutter shock has done in both performance and sales.

By the way, find me a PIC user who's had their warranty request denied by PIC, whether within one year or outside, whether they are the original purchaser or not. You won't find one, because all warranty requests find their way to me and I have honored every single one at not cost to the user. I only ask the user to send the warranteed part to me for inspection, on PIC's dime. Why do I only write a one year warranty on the brochure? Because nothing is gauranteed for a lifetime and a customer should not be mislead by what is essentially a marketing gimmick. Give my product the opportunity to prove itself without the lure of a perceived safety net.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PIC Performance
When you find the formula that works, and works consistently, its something you stick to. A casual buyer may not always appreciate consistent performance, but a serious user does. So, funny how well the cookie cutter shock has done in both performance and sales.

By the way, find me a PIC user who's had their warranty request denied by PIC, whether within one year or outside, whether they are the original purchaser or not. You won't find one, because all warranty requests find their way to me and I have honored every single one at not cost to the user. I only ask the user to send the warranteed part to me for inspection, on PIC's dime. Why do I only write a one year warranty on the brochure? Because nothing is gauranteed for a lifetime and a customer should not be mislead by what is essentially a marketing gimmick. Give my product the opportunity to prove itself without the lure of a perceived safety net.
First off +1 on your taking care of the customers blown shocks after the warranty had expired on your dime. The point I was trying to make about the lifetime warranty is that most companies who offer those very rarely see them come back because of a couple things, one is what you had already pointed out transfer of owner or vehicle (another +1 for you) and the other is that the company who produces the item went the distance making shure that it won't fail for a very long time. This is where AMR comes in, they pride themselves in never having a shock failure. Even under extreme circumstances IE. rally racing. But if you think that those companies don't/won't take care of their customers, you should check out Snap-on, Matco, Koni, Eibach. Those are a few companies that honor that lifetime warranty.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

PIC gets my support. All people need to do is look at the suspension performance basics and see what suites them. I have a feeling a lot of people that are trying to get the best of the best suspension arn't going to be pushing their suspensions a lot to the point where the difference really helped. For the money i'd say PIC is a very wise choice and will suite most peoples needs. If you are at the point where you are calculating suspension setups etc then you shouldn't be shopping in this price range anyways.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even though I am backing up AMR, I am pretty shure your car would have done well on any decent set-up. Only difference yours is covered by lifetime warranty.

i did had a decent set up, i knock out 6 to 10 second out of my old time trial track day, i don't know if u ever did track day in the island. still suround by water?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dannyk20
i did had a decent set up, i knock out 6 to 10 second out of my old time trial track day, i don't know if u ever did track day in the island. still suround by water?
Well since the track closed down the closest thing we have to a track day now is cone chasing next to the grass shack.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here in Cali. we do alot of Midnight run along the mountain edge. Please dont try to chase me. Some guys try to chased me and end up flew off the cliff. and now their parents trying to sued me for setting up these run.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my vote is for amr, i have purchased 2 sets from Andy...and he's from my hometown.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my fair share of comments already on this topic but both companies offer a great coilover. I guess when it comes down to it, its pref. I'd prefer PIC coilovers over any other brand. This may be a stupid comparison but its almost like choosing a beer (haha), one may like drinking New Castle and the other Blue Moon. Its all preference!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i voted pic! never had a problem with them.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PIC Performance
I had a cosmetic defect show up after only driving on the PIC selects for less than 500mi and I sent an email to PIC to ask what could be done about it... they are sending me new parts for free and the coilovers are well over a year old.. PIC has my vote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xzodiackillerx
I had a cosmetic defect show up after only driving on the PIC selects for less than 500mi and I sent an email to PIC to ask what could be done about it... they are sending me new parts for free and the coilovers are well over a year old.. PIC has my vote
500mi and cosmetic defect, awesome quality right there!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get off your high horse...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PIC Performance Selects FTMFW. 2 years going strong. And to add, customer service was fantastic.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some paint was chipped off of the springs .prob. from rocks or some road debris . I asked them if it would be OK to have them blasted and re powder coated . they then said they would send me a new set of springs for free. awesome cust. service right there!

I have talked to AMR online and they seen very nice also and the product is of quality . I have only used PIC . so I can only comment on how well the PIC ride and handling is. it is meant to be used on the track and it is no where close to how rough my friends hatch w/omni power is on bumpy turns. the same spring rates and same setup . he drove my car and I drove his.. he then sold his omni and got PIC.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't really comment on AMR, but I bought two set of PIC Selects. Couldn't be happier! PIC got my VOTE!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As soon as my current shocks blow up..I'll be making the switch to PIC. I keep hearing good reviews about their product and customer service.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to look at what you are going to do with your shocks before you compare both companies. there are alot of no name companies out there along with the good ones, I have talked to the owner of pic for a least once a week to get help and info on my track ready k20 civic coupe. more help then i have every asked for and have given me more feed back then most shops. if your an alot out racer or just daily grind pic. plus i live in ohio there not that far from me so i can drive i have tech support like 6hrs away....PIC for me
Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im def. getting some pic selects for my 88 hatch in the next 2 weeks. 10/14...gona ride like a caddy!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had PIC apex 3 years ago and sold it to a friend and he still rolling on them. He loves them too much and won't sell them back to me. I'm about to order another set for my current hatch next month.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GroundZer0 336
im def. getting some pic selects for my 88 hatch in the next 2 weeks. 10/14...gona ride like a caddy!
You won't be "riding like a caddy" with those rates....
I have nothing but good things to say about PIC. AMR def seems like a great company as well. It all comes down to what the consumer wants.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The people have spoken.

PIC FTMFW!

/Thread
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and the difference between between pic selects and pic apex is..............??? just want more info

Quick Reply: PIC PERFORMANCE VS AMR