Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Classic Hondas
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
weev
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 1988 Honda accord LXI

Is there anyone that knows anyhting about these cars? I want to know what I can do for more power. It's a circle track race car. What can I do and what is the best for the money. I believe the motor is an A20A3. Fuel injected, 3 valve, 2.0 liter.
weev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
zack_pejic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to zack_pejic
Default Re: 1988 Honda accord LXI (weev)

If you read the description to the thread, it says All Classic Honda's, Pre 88. That means year 1987 and down. Just try to get this posted into the right section, you might have more luck.

Cheers,
Zack Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
weev
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1988 Honda accord LXI (zack_pejic)

what forum should i ask this question in? the accord forum starts at 1990
weev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Toneloc
Garage is empty, add now

Try 3geez.com. Its a forum dedicated to the the 3rd generation Accord (86-89). Which brings up a point, since the 3g Accord belongs in the classic forum considering the platform was first sold in 1986.
Toneloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
89accordjdm
Garage is empty, add now

WELL TO START U COULD WORK ON IGNITION.ALSO TO PUT A COLD AIR GET A 90 ACCORD COLD AIR AND MESS WITH IT BUT IT SHOULD FIT. ADVANCE CAM TIMING IT REALLY HELPS Click the image to open in full size. . ALSO ONCE U PUT HEADERS ON A A20 IT FLIES SO TRY THAT TWO.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
SuM Honda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack_pejic
If you read the description to the thread, it says All Classic Honda's, Pre 88. That means year 1987 and down. Just try to get this posted into the right section, you might have more luck.

Cheers,
If you read the description to the thread it says "Classic Hondas
All Pre-1988 Hondas. ". That means 1988 and everything PRE 1988

To the OP, you should look around at 3geez.com. Good luck with the car...I personally love that model...doesn't seem to be too popular around here though...

Modified by SuM Honda at 11:04 PM 3/11/2008
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
StorminMatt
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack_pejic

Cheers,
Then again, what difference does it make? I can understand if we are talking about Civics, where the car was changed DRASTICALLY for the 1988 model year. But 1988 Accords are basically no different from 1987 Accords.

Anyway, with this in mind, you might consider an engine swap. A B-series motor COULD be dropped in. But there is just one problem: Place Racing (the only company to make the kit) is no longer in business. So you might have to do quite a bit of searching to find a used mount kit. Otherwise, you could go the custom fab route and have new mounts welded in to accommodate the B-series motor. This would open you up to the same options that are available on Civics such as the B18C, B20B/Z, LS-VTEC, B20-VTEC, etc. ALL of these motors will produce LOTS more power than your A20. And mods are EXTREMELY abundant. I should also add that any of these motors will considerably lighten your car, since they use aluminum blocks (rather than the iron block on your A20. In additon, you might be able to stick an H22A or even a K20 in there. But this will require custom fabrication for sure.

If you DON'T want to swap, then there is also the possibility of piecing together a turbo setup for your A20.
1995 Allmotor GSR (All motor, no car!)
Coming soon: 1989 D15Z1 Civic STD HB - The Gas Saver!
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
ncbkr2002
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1988 Honda accord LXI

hey guys .... new to the import scene. i have an 88 accord with a carbed 2.0 A20A1 with a 5 speed. can i turbo this with the carb or should i put F/I on it first. what kinda power can i get out of it. it has 142,000 miles on it and i was also wonerding if that is too many miles to turbo. should i rebuild it or is there a good drop in i can turbo ??? any help would be great. thanx ..
ncbkr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
night
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1988 Honda accord LXI

you didn't need to bump an old *** thread. and you had to of read the 3geez referral in this thread before posting, so just check there and do plenty of research before hand.

submit to reddit

Tags
1987, 1988, 88, a20a1, a20a3, accord, engine, honda, lxi, modified, motor, spd, swap, transmission, turbo, work