Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

***How-To Clean*** Your IACV a.k.a. Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ***How-To Clean*** Your IACV a.k.a. Idle Air Control Valve

This post is the ****! Thank you so much. I almost went out and bought a brand new because my mechanic thought the compression was off or that the engine was bad. All it cost me was a brake cleaner and 10 mins. WOW! This thread rocks!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM
New User

The idle of my '91 crx would fluctuate so I cleaned the IAC valve per your instructions. The idle smoothed out fine all day until I turned on the headlights. Then it started to lope again. If I shut the headlights off it smoothes out again. Now it idles fine until I turn on the lights and then it goes right back to loping. What's up with that?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM
can I haz?

great write up, i followed your instructions and it runs good. I might have to clean the FTIV like someone mentioned. You saved me $240.00
Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i Love it. this really helped me
Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could this be the culprit that causes my engine to ONLY have idle issues after its been driven hard, if i drive it normally with motor warm it idles fine at 700rpms but after hitting vtec it jumps from 900-1300rpms for a little while before it settles back to 700ish
Old 07-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DeadpanJohn
The idle of my '91 crx would fluctuate so I cleaned the IAC valve per your instructions. The idle smoothed out fine all day until I turned on the headlights. Then it started to lope again. If I shut the headlights off it smoothes out again. Now it idles fine until I turn on the lights and then it goes right back to loping. What's up with that?
that might be grounding issues
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Re: ***How-To Clean*** Your IACV a.k.a. Idle Air Control Valve (KillerElfboy)

Originally Posted by Jdm Blood
I clean the IACV and the FITV...new TB gasket...yet it still idle rough. When the car is warmin up...its fine until I gas it alittle then it idle fast...1 to 2. What to do? Also when I unplug the plug to the FITV...it idle fine with the check engine light on.
you can try resetting the idle
1. warm car up to normal opp. temp
2. hook up a digital rpm gauge (i use my timing light)
3.unplug IACV set idle to 650rpm by turning adj screw on intake manifold (with all accessorys off)
4. turn car off and remove 7.5amp fuse in fuse block under hood to reset ecu plug in IACV then reinstall fuse.
5. restart motor and check rpm should be at 750 at normal opp temp check to make sure rpm holds as you turn on A/C, high beams and rear defrost

most of ya'll probably already new how to do this but it may help someone.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DeadEnd9009)

I cleaned out my IACV and my FITV. That white plastic ring was completely loose in my FITV, I cleaned it out, tightened it back down and it fixed all my problems.

Not only did this fix my high revving cold start and erratic/jumpy idle, but my brake pedal feels better now, my car isn't as jerky when going on/off throttle, and for some reason the overall power band and low end feels smoother.

Originally Posted by WHAT TEH
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdm Blood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I clean the IACV and the FITV...new TB gasket...yet it still idle rough. When the car is warmin up...its fine until I gas it alittle then it idle fast...1 to 2. What to do? Also when I unplug the plug to the FITV...it idle fine with the check engine light on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

open up the copper-colored plate on the back of the FITv located attached to tha throttle body. there is an off-white circular ring on there that unscrews loose over time. that is sometimes tha culprit of erratic idling.

also make sure your cooling system has no air in it. tha FITv opens/closes according to temperature of coolant. air can sometimes screw it up. this is sometimes the culprit of erratic idling.

you must mean you unplugged tha plug to tha IACv. tha FITv is controlled by coolant temperature. tha IACv is controlled in combination with FITv, idle adjusting screw, and ECM/ECU. but if you have proper idle to begin with, tha idle adjusting screw should not cause or affect any erratic idling problem. you can adjust idle between IACv and ECM. do tha following steps:

- warm engine to normal running temperature.
- check gauge and make sure upper radiator hose is warm/hot. fan should turn on.
- unplug tha IACv from ECM. just remove tha plug on tha IACv. idle should settle low and CEL will come on.
- adjust idle adjusting screw (on throttle body) anywhere from 400-600 (dependant on engine).
- turn engine off. remove key.
- plug IACv back.
- reset ECM. don't remove fuse, ECM will still hold CEL codes. you have to unplug battery.

also, make sure your FITv and IACv are workin' properly, and that you have a good PCV valve. tha TPS is rarely tha problem, unless you screwed around with it. and really make sure you have no vacuum leaks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you need to bleed the cooling system after doing this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would. i mentioned why above. air pockets can also cause extra heat within your cooling system.

_taF

Modified by tallazzFilipino at 1:14 PM 7/13/2006
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM
New User

Thanks for the great write up !

Cheers
Old 08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a question juss put a skunk2 manifold and eldbrock 65mm throttle body on my car and now its smokes a little white and the only thing i can think is me having my IACV blocked off what do yall think
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Hey after cleaning did you adjust IACV to get right idle or you just bolted it back on??
Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

naw its blocked off with a piece of gasket maker. how would u adjust the iacv and does any1 know how to correctly set a tps on a 98 gsr
Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 PM

how would u adjust the iacv
theres supposed to be a screw that u should be able to screw further in or back out nad it will either raise or lower your idle
Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good write up. clean valves and sensors only makes your car less aggrevating.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got it runin a little better think i had sum bad gas as well as my tps sensor being off so as soon as i figure out how to set the tps properly should be good to go
Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello i lost the gasket for the IACV that attaches to the TB. do i really need this? i cleaned my IACV with water like 4 or 5 times and i prolly didnt pay attention and dropped the gasket one of those times. any1 know if thye sell em separetly? thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check online for Honda oem parts, they should sell them.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you know when to replace the iacv? i cleaned mine about 3 months ago and i still have flunctuation on my idle, do you think mabe i need to replace it?my car is acting up when i try to rev it fast on take of it drops down to like 800 rpm's and then slowly accelerates, so hopefully yall dont see me on the road and try to race me cause ur gonna eat me alive....lol
Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your car will either idle high like it never gets warmed up. or itl idle up and down. or real low when u first crank it up
Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 PM

nice write up!!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thankyou anything else
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good looking imma do this tomorrow...
Old 10-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deadazleep
could this be the culprit that causes my engine to ONLY have idle issues after its been driven hard, if i drive it normally with motor warm it idles fine at 700rpms but after hitting vtec it jumps from 900-1300rpms for a little while before it settles back to 700ish
could be bad dizzy??
Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow...... I've been meaning to do this, or I'll have to take my car somewhere with a garage to trryy this.. my cars idle is very very annoying when my cars cold.
Idles pretty decent when warm, shakes my car a little bit at a stop light when my lights are on.
But cold, it cranks at a very low idle, slowly gets up to 1500 and then bounces around 1500 till it starts warming up. If I try gasing slightly to get the rpms up and letting off while its cold, my rpm drops to like 500 or so and almost stalls... ugghh annoying
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM

i have cleaned the IAVC already and looked at the MAP sensor and tried to clean that area as well.... i have read about the FTIV also... does a 94 civic ex with a 1.6 vtec have one?... it's the first i have ever heard of it. the car revs from 1000-1500 after about 2 - 5 min of being warm. when i'm at a stop light with the clutch in is when it revs..... any help here please???
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andrewsc33
i have cleaned the IAVC already and looked at the MAP sensor and tried to clean that area as well.... i have read about the FTIV also... does a 94 civic ex with a 1.6 vtec have one?... it's the first i have ever heard of it. the car revs from 1000-1500 after about 2 - 5 min of being warm. when i'm at a stop light with the clutch in is when it revs..... any help here please???
yes you have a FITV, its attached to the bottom of your throttle body, there's a small coolant hose going right to it.

Quick Reply: ***How-To Clean*** Your IACV a.k.a. Idle Air Control Valve