Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

A/C control 1 and 2 don't work, 3 and 4 work fine (fan speed control unit?)

Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 A/C control 1 and 2 don't work, 3 and 4 work fine (fan speed control unit?)

I searched all kinds of combinations, and I don't know if anyone appreciates their A/C as much as I do, but the 1 and 2 operating speeds no longer work in my car. 3 and 4 still blow heat and cold fine, just it is a little too intense sometimes. Does anyone know the part number for the module behind the A/C control for 1 and 2? I am assuming that is what I need to replace to get 1 and 2 fan speed modes back...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C control 1 and 2 don't work, 3 and 4 work fine (fan speed control unit?)

i too have this issue, but on a 91 integra, the dealership says its just a small resistor in the AC control unit itself, and that you can replace the whole thing through new honda parts ($$$) or you can holla at a small electronics repair guy with your ac controls and see if they cant replace the resistors.
i dont know if its the same for DC integras, but its something to look into i suppose.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C control 1 and 2 don't work, 3 and 4 work fine (fan speed control unit?)

its the blower motor resistor, its like $20 new at a part store, and its behind the glove box
Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by syknxv3
its the blower motor resistor
Nailed it.

Heater blower motor resistor. Part number 79330-SR3-A01; costs $29.58 at any Honda or Acura dealership parts department.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Nailed it.

Heater blower motor resistor. Part number 79330-SR3-A01; costs $29.58 at any Honda or Acura dealership parts department.
my local honda dealer must just be totally inept
they wanted to switch out the entire AC control panel for close to 200 in parts alone.
guess thats why you stay as far awy from them as possible
Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
be professional

Originally Posted by OMG Its Weasel
my local honda dealer must just be totally inept
they wanted to switch out the entire AC control panel for close to 200 in parts alone.
guess thats why you stay as far awy from them as possible
You don't have the same car, nor have you accurately described your unique problem.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have the same car, nor have you accurately described your unique problem.
more like my local honda dealership is run by country boys that are looking to make money off of people, they tried to have the entire drive assembly in my moms CRV replaced to fix a noise from the rear differential, i changed the fluid in her driveway and it cleared right up.
i called a larger cities honda dealership and they knew right off the bat it was the resistors, apparently its the only thing theyve come across that could cause only two of the blower speeds to not work.

good luck. op
Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Guess I'm going to remove the A/C control panel and look for the bad resistor. I am assuming there are two (one for 1 and 2, and one for 3 and 4?) Thanks!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

No, it is not anywhere near the control panel on the dashboard. It's actually located in the blower fan housing, because those resistors get hot and require constant air flow over them to keep it from overheating.

You can get to the resistor unit by removing your glove box assembly. Then you'll see where it fits into the top of the lower round fan housing. Should be a 4-wire harness going to it, and it has 2 screws holding it in. It's #5 in this pic, and costs $22.18 from Carland Acura www.acuraautomotiveparts.org

I happen to be very familiar with these because it was a common problem on my old car, 87-91 Toyota Camry, and they use the same type of resistor pack. These are large wire-wound resistors, not your normal tiny resistors found on a circuit board. I actually repaired the one in my Camry with resistors I bought from Radio Shack online, but I believe they stopped carrying those types of resistors some years back.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Ok this helps a bunch. It's the coil-type resistors! After I remove the glovebox it should be easy to locate the piece then, I am assuming. I actually get a better deal buying it at AutoZone because shipping makes it cost more if I order it online...
Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by axtran
Ok this helps a bunch. It's the coil-type resistors! After I remove the glovebox it should be easy to locate the piece then, I am assuming. I actually get a better deal buying it at AutoZone because shipping makes it cost more if I order it online...
My car developed this problem on 05.31. Many thanks to Targa250R, who posted the diagnosis and part number, rapidly!

Thought I would contribute my narrative...

I ordered pn 79330-SR3-A01 from a local dealer, it cost $42. It is essentially a plastic chassis for three wire-type resistors (different thicknesses and lengths) and a four-pin harness connector. Like Patrick's assy diag shows, the part mounts to the blower motor case.

Did the repair this afternoon, it is easy if you have the Helms service manual. The glovebox has to come out: one screw for damper, two for lower brackets, one each side. I unclipped the harness and took out the recirculation motor in order to get better access on the resistor plate's two screws. Stubby/short philips head screwdriver recommended. Those with small hands might be able to do without unclipping the harness, but I could not. Take care to avoid the SRS harness (yellow wrap) on top left of glovebox opening. The passenger airbag is above the AC and blower motor case. Re-installation of glovebox is easier if latched first, then center the glovebox laterally before clamping down on the lower bracket screws.

The funny thing is that I can't tell why the old part stopped working. All contacts in place, and the corrosion really isn't that bad. But I got speeds 1&2 back, so not going to ask any more questions...

-J
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah the various speeds work by sending current through different numbers of those resistors. Speed 1 goes through all 3 resistors. 2 goes through 2, 3 through 1, and 4 through none. Speed 4 will always work no matter what. That's why a break in one of the resistors can affect any of the 1-3 speeds.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 AM

I did this repair yesterday in the morning. On the DC Integra, you don't have to remove anything on the glovebox. The L-clips that hold the glovebox in "Flip" up and the glovebox easily folds out. No unscrewing anything on the glovebox itself. The blower motor resistor (I'll call it a BMR) is to the right. I simply used a large screwdriver bit and some pliers to get the screws loose. It came out and on the horizontal coil--there was a break! I replaced it with an AutoZone Duralast part, and after tax in Orange County, CA, it costed me $30.71 and was a very simple fix. Replugged the clip and I was good to go. Old age got the best of one of the internal plastic clips that the glovebox L's rest on, however, a trip to Home Depot for some plastic epoxy should fix it
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Yeah the various speeds work by sending current through different numbers of those resistors. Speed 1 goes through all 3 resistors. 2 goes through 2, 3 through 1, and 4 through none. Speed 4 will always work no matter what. That's why a break in one of the resistors can affect any of the 1-3 speeds.
I just entered into this thread because I have the same problem. However, now my Speed 4 doesn't work. So what could be problem please? If speed 4 isn't affected by resistors what would be my fix please?

I own a 1991 Acura Integra and I do night driving in a cold winter. I need my heat. I've been going without speeds 1 - 3 for some time now but now I have no blower speeds. Any help would be a Godsend! Thank you in advance for your expertise and generosity.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
be professional

Originally Posted by gaucho
I just entered into this thread because I have the same problem. However, now my Speed 4 doesn't work. So what could be problem please? If speed 4 isn't affected by resistors what would be my fix please?

I own a 1991 Acura Integra and I do night driving in a cold winter. I need my heat. I've been going without speeds 1 - 3 for some time now but now I have no blower speeds. Any help would be a Godsend! Thank you in advance for your expertise and generosity.
If speed 4 doesn't work, then it is likely that either your blower switch or wiring is bad (less likely), or the blower motor itself is bad (more likely). On top of this, you still have a bad blower motor resistor.

To narrow down the possibilities, try applying 12V power directly to the blower motor. If it doesn't run, you'll have your answer. The '90-93 Integra uses the same blower motor as the '86-90 Legend and '88-91 Prelude; you could try pulling a used one from any of these cars at a salvage yard, or look for a remanufactured or a new aftermarket unit from an import parts distributor. As a last resort, a new OE motor from Acura is over $300.

You'll still need to replace the blower motor resistor as well, which is Acura part number 79330-SK7-003 and will cost you $31.97 at any Acura dealership.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If speed 4 doesn't work, then it is likely that either your blower switch or wiring is bad (less likely), or the blower motor itself is bad (more likely). On top of this, you still have a bad blower motor resistor.

To narrow down the possibilities, try applying 12V power directly to the blower motor. If it doesn't run, you'll have your answer. The '90-93 Integra uses the same blower motor as the '86-90 Legend and '88-91 Prelude; you could try pulling a used one from any of these cars at a salvage yard, or look for a remanufactured or a new aftermarket unit from an import parts distributor. As a last resort, a new OE motor from Acura is over $300.

You'll still need to replace the blower motor resistor as well, which is Acura part number 79330-SK7-003 and will cost you $31.97 at any Acura dealership.
Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate it !! Ok...well...I assume that to change out a blower motor will be labor intensive and thus expensive?...It couldn't have just been a fuse problem :-)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
be professional

It could very well be a fuse problem; you never know. That's why I'd suggest testing the motor by directly applying power to it. If it doesn't run, the motor is bad. If it does run, the problem lies somewhere else in the system - possibly the switch, wiring, fusebox, etc.

Changing the motor is not extremely difficult if you have a free afternoon, basic tools (including JIS metric sockets, a ratchet and extensions, screwdrivers, etc.), a little bit of mechanical aptitude, and some finesse. Body flexibility certainly helps too when wrenching on components under the dashboard. A service manual for reference doesn't hurt either.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined or has tools. To give you a general idea, my shop charges about $160 installed for a reman blower motor in a '90-93 Integra (that's parts and labor both included), and we're one of the cheaper shops around. Thus, expect to pay that much or more to have someone else repair it for you locally.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could very well be a fuse problem; you never know. That's why I'd suggest testing the motor by directly applying power to it. If it doesn't run, the motor is bad. If it does run, the problem lies somewhere else in the system - possibly the switch, wiring, fusebox, etc.

Changing the motor is not extremely difficult if you have a free afternoon, basic tools (including JIS metric sockets, a ratchet and extensions, screwdrivers, etc.), a little bit of mechanical aptitude, and some finesse. Body flexibility certainly helps too when wrenching on components under the dashboard. A service manual for reference doesn't hurt either.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined or has tools. To give you a general idea, my shop charges about $160 installed for a reman blower motor in a '90-93 Integra (that's parts and labor both included), and we're one of the cheaper shops around. Thus, expect to pay that much or more to have someone else repair it for you locally.
It is a shame you are a bit far or I'd give you the business. I will do as you say and hook up the motor to a power source and see if its the problem. Thank you so much for your advice and direction...I appreciate it!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much Targa250R! Since I consider myself mechanically challenged with cars...I think I want to do the easy thing first...but the easy thing (checking fuse) is confusing me since it isn't your regular fuse. The service manual tells me to check #25 40A fuse but that fuse seems to be in a fusible link type of housing. I unscrewed #25 but where is the actual FUSE!? Sorry for my simple question.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Trial User

I am also having a problem, i replaced the blower motor resistor, my ac/heater fan worked fora little bit than all of sudden it died. i took it in to take a look they said oh the motor blew i need to get it replaced, as i was driving again it turned on, ( only 3-4 works) than turns off on and off... what can be the problem? help please as winter is comping around the corner/
Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 AM
be professional

Originally Posted by Cloudy1
I am also having a problem, i replaced the blower motor resistor, my ac/heater fan worked fora little bit than all of sudden it died. i took it in to take a look they said oh the motor blew i need to get it replaced, as i was driving again it turned on, ( only 3-4 works) than turns off on and off... what can be the problem? help please as winter is comping around the corner/
It's probably the motor; if the motor is weak, it can sometimes cut in and out as you drive over bumps and around turns.

Apply 12v battery power directly to the connector on the motor and see if it will run steady. Also, check for power at the wiring harness connector on all speeds with a multi-meter.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My fix report:

Thanks to some Targa250R advice this is now fixed. I'm not electrically inclined but after reading schematics this problem points to either bad resistor or motor. I replaced both and I 'had' fan blowing for awhile.

Then fan started intermittently going off and on...I had to jiggle the fan speed switch to get fan to work on speeds 1,2, and 3. Speed 4 never worked. I did this for awhile but then i couldn't even 'jiggle' the fan to work anymore.

Simple solution: Hoping it wasn't a bad motor again I just junk yard ordered a new heater/A/C switch panel component from any salvage yard or carparts.com (good list of junk yards and parts!). Got one for $25 (but it comes complete not just the switch itself) and unplugged old one installed new one.

ALL SPEEDS WORK NOW just fine!

The cylindrical switch that plugs into two females behind the panel went bad. Don't think you can just buy the switch though...have to buy the whole component...$25 is not bad.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cloudy1 it may just be a bad switch. But Targa250 advice is good...try to take some leads to the motor to see if it works....or go to any mechanic you trust and have them take 2 minutes out of their time at no cost to do an electric check real quick.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's probably the motor; if the motor is weak, it can sometimes cut in and out as you drive over bumps and around turns.

Apply 12v battery power directly to the connector on the motor and see if it will run steady. Also, check for power at the wiring harness connector on all speeds with a multi-meter.
This was symptom for a bad a/c fan speed switch for me. The cylindrical switch right behind the fan speed 1,2,3,4 **** and which plugs into motor behind, etc.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Trial User

Tthanks i will check this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C control 1 and 2 don't work, 3 and 4 work fine (fan speed control unit?)