Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

spark plugs will NOT come out...can figure it out.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 spark plugs will NOT come out...can figure it out.

hello all,

to keep a long story short, i have a 1993 civic cx with a 1996 integra ls swap. well, my car clunked out a week ago, and ive been waiting for money to get parts to fix it. well, today i tried pulling the spark plugs to see if they were corroded, but came to a very fast halt, as they WILL NOT come out. I tried unscrewing them...and they didnt budge. applied some force...loots o f force..but still wouldnt come out. so i sprayed some liquid wrench in there and let it sit for about 30 minutes. tried again...do not budge. i sprayed some wd 40 in the mix and now im leaving it to sit overnight. did i mess up by spraying the two together?

someone please help... i dont want to screw up the threads and its not budging. anyone had a similar problem? any suggestions on what to do?

thanks in advance,
arthur
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: spark plugs will NOT come out...can figure it out.

yeah you have to be very carefully not to over tighten them, when you put them in you should put them in with some sort of anti seize product just be patient and keep spraying them down. Just spray it down an let it sit the last thing you want is for one to break off that would be a mess.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take off your purse or hit it with your purse.

get a breaker bar and go to town or just cancel the job altogether. they will eventually have to come off one day
Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by waaBAAH

get a breaker bar and go to town or just cancel the job altogether. they will eventually have to come off one day
lol! heheh i agree!

You need a breaker bar or a cheater pipe!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
lol! heheh i agree!

Yea, i can see it now, Put breaker bar on it, then cheater pipe then we all see in this thread that O no i broke off my spark plugs, or i stripped the spark plug nut Now WHAT?

I would honestly say that it is very unlikely that all spark plugs would get corroded while driving. Honestly, CHeck to see if you have spark or fuel. Best way to do this is to get the car running let the engine get NICE AND WARM and then attempt to remove the spark plugs.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pothole987
Yea, i can see it now, Put breaker bar on it, then cheater pipe then we all see in this thread that O no i broke off my spark plugs, or i stripped the spark plug nut Now WHAT?

I would honestly say that it is very unlikely that all spark plugs would get corroded while driving. Honestly, CHeck to see if you have spark or fuel. Best way to do this is to get the car running let the engine get NICE AND WARM and then attempt to remove the spark plugs.
who said breaker bar AND cheater pipe? I said OR a cheater pipe. anyways how the HELL will the spark plug break or strip? and if the threads are gonna mess up because it was over torqued then let it and have it fixed now instead of later.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

knock r loose is better
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing that will happen OP is you might break a ratchet or extension if you have shity tools like Craftsman. You probably are weak and need a longer rachet. one of us who always work on car could probably break it loose with a 1/4 ratchet.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by waaBAAH

wtf? a purse?

lol! heheh i agree!

whats a cheater pipe?

Originally Posted by Pothole987

thank you for the first piece of actual good advice.

the only thing that will happen OP is you might break a ratchet or extension if you have shity tools like Craftsman. You probably are weak and need a longer rachet. one of us who always work on car could probably break it loose with a 1/4 ratchet.
well i dont give a **** if the damn ratchet breaks. im not weak...i work in a warehouse liftin heavy **** all day long till i feel liek my spines about to come out my ***. im not boasting or anything, im just saying i can give a ratchet a decent ****ing tug. so if i get a bigger ratchet...i wouldnt strip the aluminum head threads?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, Just making sure your not like my older brother lol. hes 27 and he makes it look imposible to take off a spark plug and i can just use a little power and get it out. Sorry for judging you wrongly lol. your a hard working man it seems so i have faith!

Anyways NO the aluminum threads will not strip. the only way they will strip is if your tightening it ANY more than they alread are. but your losening it so no problems.

Anyways. Lefty loosey righty tighty !
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and a cheater pipe is something than will go over the ratchet that is big and long to help you get power in. with a long one it will easily come out. real easy.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:11 PM

leave them in when u get the car runninig let it get to normal operating temp and then shut it off and then try to get it off the heat from the motor might help u get them loose.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by revhardallday
leave them in when u get the car runninig let it get to normal operating temp and then shut it off and then try to get it off the heat from the motor might help u get them loose.
Hell no. Your Not supposed to mess with them while the motor is warm or hot! Its aluminum and if he does it then the risks of him stripping it is waay higher.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, Just making sure your not like my older brother lol. hes 27 and he makes it look imposible to take off a spark plug and i can just use a little power and get it out. Sorry for judging you wrongly lol. your a hard working man it seems so i have faith!

lmao im not really a man...lol..well im a male, but im 18.
almost 19. and going completely of subject im form russia...born and raised thee for 8 years, and came here in november 1997; and we are either tall and lanky, or short and built over there. lol. i got the latter, and pretty damn happy with it lol. lol and its ok for the judging thing...when i read your post i was like who the *** is he to call me weak lol. im sorry...just been a reaaaaaally long day at work. we all know those days.

Anyways NO the aluminum threads will not strip. the only way they will strip is if your tightening it ANY more than they alread are. but your losening it so no problems.

ok cuz this fatass at Advanced auto said the aluminum blocks are weak. and im liek i heard different. but those plugs have been in there since i bought the car in august last year. and my cr clunked out the other day. it will turn over and run...but as long as i have my foot on the gas. i have no idea what to do. im new to the whole tuning scene.

Anyways. Lefty loosey righty tighty !
lol sir yes sir!

oh and a cheater pipe is something than will go over the ratchet that is big and long to help you get power in. with a long one it will easily come out. real easy.
cool thanks, i really had no idea lol

Originally Posted by revhardallday
the car shuts off when i get it running. liek avaccuum leak. it happened two months ago too. i took it out for i drive cuz i was getting pissed that it was doing it...and romped the **** out of it. well...when i got back home...she ran perfectly fine..until now...and shes doing it again...so...any suggestions? please? lol i have no idea what it could be.

clogged IACV? it doesnt seems to be jumping on the tach...
clogged cat converter? i have no idea someone suggested it
um distributor cap and rotor nee replacement?
the damn spark plugs?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try PB blaster. it's like WD40 or liquid wrench on steroids.

"cheater pipe" is just slang for slipping a pipe over the ratchet handle to give yourself more leverage.

how fast does it die? instantly after starting?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and if you let the motor warm up then everything is bigger.. even the spark plugs will expand. so in theory you are then trying to remove a tighter spark plug.

yeah..hit it with your purse.. you dont work in a shop do you? hit it with your purse means your a girl and your weak where you cant get a bolt off or whatnot. use it sometime.. how does this wheel come off?... hit it with your purse. i cant turn these lugnuts.. hit it with your purse!

i always get scared taking off tight 100k+ spark plugs as well. i have never had one break. the breaker bar or cheater bar will add some power to that ratchet.

or buy a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter along with a long handled 1/2 rachet.. oh yeah.. that costs 50 bucks total.

just use your 1 ton jack handle as a cheater bar.. thats free!

and to everyone else saying...no..they will break and such. THEY HAVE TO COME OUT ONE DAY. either do the job..or dont.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^yeppp^^^
Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao im digging the whoel hit it with your purse thing lol. okay so basicaly i should be okay...well the head will be okay...and wont strip. god i hope it doesnt lol. and i will definately lok into geting a beter ratchet. what brand names? lol cuz im running a craftsman right now lol...and the dma thing doesnt snap into the differetn modes anymore lol...i think i broke it.

can i pm you guys with more questions?

and trustdesrttuction:
um, well like if i start the car i have to have my foot a little ont he gas otherwise itl just turn off...liek its not geting any vacuum. if im not on the gas...itl just die. if i give a little gas itl idle ok
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1nsoman1ac
and trustdesrttuction:
um, well like if i start the car i have to have my foot a little ont he gas otherwise itl just turn off...liek its not geting any vacuum. if im not on the gas...itl just die. if i give a little gas itl idle ok
you have an airflow problem

clean the IACV with some throttle body cleaner
Old 05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ya,

0! And Snap On Yo!

Snap On is the best tool brand i ever used. Their are some decent ones out their like Pittsburg and a few off brand tools i have used.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a pittsburg steel 3/8" drive ratchet and it's great. highly recommend that brand.

i have craftsman stuff too, but it seems i break their sockets too much... i know it's free replacement, but it's a hassle to go out and get new sockets all the time.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You've obviously never seen steel fuse in aluminum before. Chances are if they don't want to move with the force you're putting on them they aren't going to come out without ripping the threads right out of the head.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Craftsman. and the sears here says they stopped their lifetime warranty so screw them! Pitsburg waay over craftman.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Craftsman pwns man
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao . so this thread is turning into a craftsman vs pitsburg. oh well. yeah i was gonna clean the iacv...but my whoel point is why would it jsut stop working one day
liek it works fine then just quits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plugs will NOT come out...can figure it out.