Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

What Kind of Transmission oil/fluid in manual trans???

Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Kind of Transmission oil/fluid in manual trans???

think im safe with some redline mtf and .3qrts 10w-30 royal purple?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used Redline for at least 30k daily driven miles and multiple road race events and was far from impressed. The shifting is way more notchy, especially when the fluid was cold, compared to Honda MTF under every condition. Redline is decent fluid...just not for Honda gearboxes.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DA9_SE
I only gas my VR4 at 76 Stations or/and Chevron with their premiun gas because they claim to add ethnol and techron, respectively.
Pretty much all gasoline at all stations has ethanol added these days, and it actually reduces your fuel economy. I would prefer pumping 93 octane with no ethanol but I can't really find any.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Pretty much all gasoline at all stations has ethanol added these days, and it actually reduces your fuel economy. I would prefer pumping 93 octane with no ethanol but I can't really find any.
OH REALLY?! Good to know. Two to three years ago, when I used the VR4 as my daily driver, I would get about 18 miles to the gallon in the city. That was considered normal. Now, I get around 15-16 miles a gallon for city drive. However, it could be that I'm losing gas from just starting it and letting it idle on my drive-way so the engine can be lubricated. I haven't driven it much for the past 2 years since I've had my Integras. I've only driven it 4,000 miles in the past 2 years. It pretty much sits on the drive-way, collects dust/dirt, tires goes flat, I would wash it, drive it a mile to pump air into the tires, park on the drive-way again, collects dust/dirt again......you get the picture.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the ethanol. All I knew from hear say was that ethanol is good because it's clean so that's good for the environment. Also, ethanol is what race car drivers use in their race cars, so it MUST be good gas, right? Yay or nay? Learn something new everyday.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, ethanol contains less energy than gasoline. See this article for some of the benefits as well as drawbacks of ethanol fuel.

http://www.hybridcars.com/ethanol/be...drawbacks.html
Old 12-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has valuable information.. added to the faq.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use honda MTF. if you dont have any you can use 10w-30 as a temporary use. the honda Mtf is a synthetic oil that has friction modifers to prevent grinding when shifting.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DA9_SE
Wow.....I can't believe on how much money some of you are spending on MTF. Maybe it's worth it and good for the tranny in the long run, but still, almost $10 a bottle for Honda MTF, GM, Purple stuff, etc, etc?! Insane I say.

Well, I run two older Integras. A '91 GS and a '93 LS SE to be exact. I use these cars for commuting so I don't really care what I put in them as long as they get me to where I need to get to. Don't get me wrong, I do take care of them (wash, regular oil change, clean, etc.) and make sure all fluids are at its level.

I have to admit, I use cheapy Walmart motor oil (5W-40, 10W-40, whatever) in my both my trannys and it work just fine. Smooth shifting everytime, no grinds, unless it's my fault,.....NOTHING. Now, I'm sure some of you are asking yourself, "Why would he put such crap in his trannys? He must be CRAZY!" I'm the first to admit that I am in no way, shape or form a mechanic. But, I am fortunate enough to know people and have family members in the auto mechanic industry, corporate dealers (Acura & Toyota) and private ownership. My mechanic friends at the dealers told me that they put regular motor oil in pretty much all their trannys, especially the older non warranty cars. They just tell the consumers that they put in Honda, Toyota, GM, or whatever brand fluid that the manuel says. Regular motor oil works just fine. It will do no harm to the tranny.

So why all the dealer brand MTF? It's a money making marketing tactic. For example, Honda. Honda makes their Honda MTF. Then they tell all their customers to use Honda MTF because it wont mess up their tranny. The truth is, that's just a strategic way of getting more money from their customers and uninform consumers. Honda knows full well that regular motor oil works just as well as their MTF. If this is not true, then why would they tell their own mechanics to put regular motor oil in the trannys? Again, it's just a money making marketing tactic.

Sorry for making this post so long. I just signed on to this site and thought I would share some inside information that I got from my insiders.

Oh, one last thing from my mechanic friends.....in most cases, it's usually the driver that messes up the tranny, not the fluid that is used or the tranny itself. Just drive carefully, take care of your car(s), and the tranny wont break.
its not ALL marketing. Honda developed a new tranny fluid to help the transmission last longer and work more efficiently. It was also developed to save Honda money by less warranty work on trannies. Just as Pat stated, there are additives in there to help aid the tranny. plus ive read over and over that this new formula has helped many high mileage trannies shift better, especially in the cold.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor oil was standard lubricant in the EF/EG DA/DC transmissions that came with an OPEN DIFFERENTIAL. Motor oil will DECREASE the time between rebuilds if you have a clutch type diff. Also, Honda started selling friction modifier back in the early 90's for transmission can left the factory with 30W motor oil. This modifier increased the life of synchros and increased the time between diff rebuilds on the clutch type LSD's (Mugen spec cars and the Race Base models). Maybe this was just a Honda Japan thing.......

I have been using different brands (mainly Castrol) of 75w90 since '93 without any synchro related issues.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You use gear oil in a Honda transmission? Dang, I've never heard of that before.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

All of the Japanese :SD makers recommend gear oil over motor oil. I have been using Castrol 75w90 with my Mugen diff since '96 (I had an OEM viscous diff for the first 3 years) without any issues. I originally wanted to use the KAAZ 75w90 but the price was a total TURNOFF.... hahahaha.

75w90 GL5 is for transmissions that contain a differential. ie: FF and AWD setups. I use this in both my '94 SiVTEC and the '02 STi but the STi gets synthetic!!

Last edited by Dee; 12-27-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i run quakerstate 10-30 in my trans and i double clutch most of the time and i dont ever get grinds, My old integra had redline in it and i would have to double clutch to keep it from grindin gears. both were cable trans and the cable was adjusted right so i thought it was shifter bushings but no as soon as i flushed it and put the syncromesh in it didnt grind
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you double clutching? Are you driving a Massey-Ferguson tracker with a tiller attached?

Actually, 75w90 GL-1~GL-5 is for manual transmissions and differentials while 75w140 and 80w140 are for differentials/rearends ONLY.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honda mtf
Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10w-30 has been working fine for me for the past 5 years in a few diff cars...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would stay away from gear oil/synthetics. you're fine with 10w30 or better yet honda mtf.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda mtf ftw. just change it often , say, 10k miles. and burnish the syncro that you are having a problem with
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dee
Why are you double clutching? Are you driving a Massey-Ferguson tracker with a tiller attached?

Actually, 75w90 GL-1~GL-5 is for manual transmissions and differentials while 75w140 and 80w140 are for differentials/rearends ONLY.

ahhahahhahhahhahahha ha
that right there is funny i dont care who you are!
iv been running 80w90 in my 97 integra tranny and as far as i can remember i have no problems with shifting or grinding. just in reverse but i think thats cause my clutch was shot but after my rebuild and NEW CLUTCH aha it should be fine(i hope) i plan on trying ole buddys 75w90 and see how she handles.
but just for the record. id straight rock a tractor out like nobodys buisness!
but for real just go put some cooking oil in the tranny and it will run fine! it has all the proper additives and what not and is even capable of high presures! jk for all you people about to hate!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech7427
honda mtf ftw. just change it often , say, 10k miles. and burnish the syncro that you are having a problem with
Totally unnecessary. I usually replace my trans fluid every 25K, but recently I drained my last fill of fluid after 50K miles, and it still looked pretty fresh.

Transmission fluid is not subjected to all the gasses, blowby, oil vapors, pressures, etc. that engine oil is subjected to. That's why you have to change engine oil so much more often. That's also why manual transmissions do not have a filter to change like the engine oil does. The only source of "contaminants" in the transmission fluid is metal shavings from the rotating parts, and that should be "filtered" out of the fluid anyway by the factory magnetic drain plug.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Totally unnecessary. I usually replace my trans fluid every 25K, but recently I drained my last fill of fluid after 50K miles, and it still looked pretty fresh.

Transmission fluid is not subjected to all the gasses, blowby, oil vapors, pressures, etc. that engine oil is subjected to. That's why you have to change engine oil so much more often. That's also why manual transmissions do not have a filter to change like the engine oil does. The only source of "contaminants" in the transmission fluid is metal shavings from the rotating parts, and that should be "filtered" out of the fluid anyway by the factory magnetic drain plug.
maybe its unnecessary for you but for alot of cars that come in with complaints and the way people around this area beat on their cars thats the service interval for them ;-)

especially when they dont want to pay for a new 2nd gear syncro..that is the answer to most peoples problems.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is actualy acura MTF...noo its NOT the same as honda MTF...its thinner i believe....my friend had 4th and 5th gear grinds while using honda MTF....he by mistake found out about acura MTF and his grinds went away...weird...(not saying that this fluid will stop your transmission from grinding, just saying it works well)
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not "Acura MTF", it's a new formulation of Honda's MTF, which has actually been around since about 2006:

Name:  bottle_front.jpg
Views: 16937
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  backlabel.jpg
Views: 16966
Size:  116.3 KB

The Acura-labeled version, which costs $2-$2.50 more per quart for the same stuff:

Name:  newMTF.png
Views: 14708
Size:  120.6 KB
Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
New User

Has anyone used amsoil syncromesh? I've heard good things about their motor oil, but don't know much about their mtf.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked up a rebuilt gsr trans with an LSD, I see that there should be difference in what fluid to use when the trans is LSD equipped, I will be tracking the car every now and again, should i run a combination or just straight honda mtf? I have read that the honda mtf won't hold up under track conditions with the lsd, which makes the lsd break. i have no experience with this so any input is welcome
Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sinfulDB1
I tried Royal Purples syncromax
and my tranny HATED it.
^^^^ JUNK
Honda MTF or syncromesh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Kind of Transmission oil/fluid in manual trans???