Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter?

So I've searched and searched and this problem seems to be different in each case.

I put my key in, turn, no crank. I pulled the starter - its good. Battery is good. I cleaned my terminals and connections. If I put the key in the on position and jump the starter in neutral, the car will start right up. I took the electronic connection off the back of the ignition switch and used a flathead to turn it - still no crank. The fuel pump does prime.

Any help?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter? (magicmyst98)

It is probley the clutch saftey switch, its a switch that wont let your car start unless the clutch is pushed in, mine is disabled i can start my sol without pushing the clutch in. i have no idea how to disable it though it was like that when i bought it. thats what it sounds like your problem is cuz i have never had anything but 5speeds and they all have that switch if u look under there and push the clutch down with your hand you will find it. i use to have a firebird and it did the same thing yours is. if it isnt that its the "main relay" but it sounds like that clutch safety switch to me. shoudnt be expensive or hard to do probley just take out a screw or 2, unplug it and pop the new one on and screw it down. hope this helps. and i just read your post again and if your pump is priming its not the relay, its the clutch safety switch. im 100% sure. if not the curse me out. thats how sure i am. thats why you can jump the starter, and if you were to roll your car down a hill the pop the clutch it would start also.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter? (Hsummerville07)

by the way, it is like a door switch that lets your dome light come on when you open the door, when you close the door it pushes the switch down and turns off the light. its the same thing, somewhere should be like on the cockpit side of the firewall where your feet are and all that wiring and relays and fuseboxes are, it would make it easier to get in there if you pull the panel off where you knees are, you can see a lot better under there if you do that. just like 4 screws or so holds that on. i dont know what the switch looks like but you should see it pushe in somewhere from the clutch arm that the pedal is on. when you push the clutch in you will see it push this switch just look for it, if you can pull a starter this should be simple. the connection it it is probley bad and when you push the clutch in its not sending the signal with the relay or whatever it does to make your engine start. maybe you could hit a part of the forum and ask how to disable this, its kinda nice mine is disabled cuz i have turbo and i can just reach in and turn the key to crank it without havin to push the clutch in, cuz i have to let it warm idling before i can drive. a place to look how to disable it would be somewhere or someone that knows how to install those remote start things, as they have to disable it for the remote start to work. dont know of any forums for that besides 12volt.com or something like that. but that is your problem so now u just need to buy one or disable it whatever you wanna do and you should start rite up. good luck.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter? (Hsummerville07)

thanks for the help. i'll check it here shortly. there is a switch on the clutch that depresses when you press the clutch but i think this is the one that engages/disengages the cruise control. i didnt see another switch underneath which is what stumped me before..
Old 10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter? (magicmyst98)

if ur fuel pump doesnt prime ur main relay could be bad.the clutch pedal switch is on the cluch bracket.u can actually reach the switch if u depress ur clutch halfway.if its ur clutch pedal witch it probably just need adjustment or there could be a hole in the clutch where its suppose to hit the switch(its happened to me).if u want to disable the switch just get a small piece of wire unplug the connector from switch and insert the 2 ends of ur wire the plug.(jump it)
Old 12-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Default clutch pedal pad

My civic has the same problem. You may have a broken clutch pedal safety switch PAD - a little piece of plastic that Honda likes to use on brake pedals (to turn the brake lights on during braking) and on the clutch pedal (to allow you to start the car with the clutch depressed). These pads disintegrate over time. I've found that a few bits of blue plastic on the driver's floor mat are teh tell-tale sign that one of these pads has failed or is about to fail. The part, from my local Honda dealer, is about $2.50
Now, replacing the brake pad was fairly simple. However, replacing the clutch pad is another story. I am currently wrestling with it. The problem is with the placement - you cannot see the hole where the new pad needs to be inserted. And getting the new part in place by feeling your way along does not seem to work. If someone has done this job, please let me know if there are any tricks. Thanks.

Last edited by mwhit83500; 12-04-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hsummerville07: You can't start the car with the clutch engaged? I have the switch for my cruise control and I've seen the other one too, but I can still start my Sol with the clutch engaged...

OP: if it's your main relay, try resoldering it before you buy a new one (really easy, even if you've never soldered anything before). I was having random starting problems sometimes and I resoldered the main relay circuit board and I haven't had trouble since.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have that same problem. But what I did was actually wire a switch from the battery, from the starter. Then I hid the switch, you can buy the switch at advanced auto parts, it's called a "Starter Switch". It was $5.00, and it's worked fine for me for the past year, w/o a single problem.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MrFresh
I have that same problem. But what I did was actually wire a switch from the battery, from the starter. Then I hid the switch, you can buy the switch at advanced auto parts, it's called a "Starter Switch". It was $5.00, and it's worked fine for me for the past year, w/o a single problem.
Yes and when someone breaks into your car and find the switch they can steal your car even easier.

Not trying to insult you or anything, I just don't think it's such a safe idea.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Yes and when someone breaks into your car and find the switch they can steal your car even easier.

Not trying to insult you or anything, I just don't think it's such a safe idea.
True but Clifford G5 and Ravelco takes care of the theft problem for me. No insult taken, just seems easier to wire a switch.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True but Clifford G5 and Ravelco takes care of the theft problem for me. No insult taken, just seems easier to wire a switch.
Oh alright, that works too. lol
Just wondering, what part of FL are you in?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Oh alright, that works too. lol
Just wondering, what part of FL are you in?
South Miami area ^^
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

South Miami area ^^
oh, alright.

i'm done threadjacking now :D
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Trial User

Icon3 Re: clutch pedal pad

Originally Posted by mwhit83500
My civic has the same problem. You may have a broken clutch pedal safety switch PAD - a little piece of plastic that Honda likes to use on brake pedals (to turn the brake lights on during braking) and on the clutch pedal (to allow you to start the car with the clutch depressed). These pads disintegrate over time. I've found that a few bits of blue plastic on the driver's floor mat are teh tell-tale sign that one of these pads has failed or is about to fail. The part, from my local Honda dealer, is about $2.50
Now, replacing the brake pad was fairly simple. However, replacing the clutch pad is another story. I am currently wrestling with it. The problem is with the placement - you cannot see the hole where the new pad needs to be inserted. And getting the new part in place by feeling your way along does not seem to work. If someone has done this job, please let me know if there are any tricks. Thanks.
Anyone ever figure out how to replace this given that it is in a terrible location??
Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition switch / clutch pedal / starter?

I used a short hex head bolt and a small wing nut to replace the pad (the head of the bolt where the pad would be, wing nut holding it on tight). Yeah it's not soft, but the car is 20 years old practically, and it's just a clutch switch so no big deal.

This was simple because the wing nut is pretty easy to do with your fingers in that confined space. Simply hold the hex head with a small wrench and tighten the wing nut with your fingers.

Or you can just bypass the wiring on the switch.

The whole thing is easier, either way, if you just remove the plastic kick panel under the steering wheel