Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Immobilizer Key Question?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobilizer Key Question?

Hello,
So I've been driving the 1998 Type SH lude for years now, and lost all the Master keys!!! All I have is a valet key. Do I have to buy a new immobilizer or can I give the vin number to the dealership and have a key cut without having any other keys to reference...if anyone has any advice other than $800 for new immoblizer, please let me know. This is the worst I've felt in a LONG time...lonliest day of my life...-system of a down
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The keys have to be programmed. Rather, the car has to be programmed to the keys. Since you still have the valet key, make an appointment to get some new ones cut. It'll be about $20 per key, plus the cost to program. Programming cost will be the same no matter how many keys you make, about $60 (1 hour labor)
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is with these 'lost key' threads worried about the immobilizer. I bought my car used and got two aftermarket keys with it. I wanted 'Honda' keys (just to have them). I went to the dealer parts dept. and gave them my VIN#, and they made me two keys (cost $22 per key). I DID NOT HAVE TO DO ANY PROGRAMMING to the keys or the immobilizer. I am assuming though that the dealer must have done something to the chip in the key for it to work. If your immobilizer IS NOT ORIGINAL, then maybe you will have a problem because the dealer will only have provisions for your original immobilizer.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Immobilizer Key Question? (mrwilson1984)

They should be able to make duplicate master key's using the valet. The fact that the valet key can start the car means it's got the immobilizer chip/code in it. All you need is an ignition key to make duplicated. Look at this TSB:

http://members.shaw.ca/FifthGe...r.pdf

Worst come worst, you can just remove the immobilizer daughter board from the ecu. Look at this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1864293

You'll see the H1C1 location in one corner of the ecu (it's printed on the board) when you remove the cover(s).
Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (TheJGB3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheJGB3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is with these 'lost key' threads worried about the immobilizer. I bought my car used and got two aftermarket keys with it. I wanted 'Honda' keys (just to have them). I went to the dealer parts dept. and gave them my VIN#, and they made me two keys (cost $22 per key). I DID NOT HAVE TO DO ANY PROGRAMMING to the keys or the immobilizer. I am assuming though that the dealer must have done something to the chip in the key for it to work. If your immobilizer IS NOT ORIGINAL, then maybe you will have a problem because the dealer will only have provisions for your original immobilizer.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOST keys and DUPLICATE keys are two totally different things. The immobilizer unit in a prelude requires a "red learning key" to program NEW keys to the immobilizer unit. So If you have no master keys you cannot "clone" a master key. If you still have a master key it can be cloned, hince all the people saying that they didn't have to have their keys programmed. If not the immobilzer unit has to be either flashed to accept a new "red " key or replaced with one that has a "red" key already programmed to it. The "red learning key" is only required to program NEW keys to the unit. A CLONED key is not a NEW key so no it does not have to be programmed to the car. I'm not 100% positive but I don't think the master keys and valet keys have the same chip inside the key. I don't think you can clone a valet key but it would be worth a try. I do know for a fact that you cannot clone or add keys with a valet key to any GM, or Toyota. The chip in the key is different on the valet key for those manufacturers. I have been a locksmith for quite a long time and have made NEW and CLONED keys to numerous Hondas and other cars so I know the process fairly well.

Modified by slamdlude at 2:46 PM 9/25/2008
Old 09-28-2008, 01:30 PM

The differance between the valet and the regular key is the notching for the mechanical portion of the lock.
With a valet key you shouldn't be able to unlock the trunk or glove box, but still be able start and move the car.
Both types of keys will have the transponder chip in them so the immobilizer will allow the car to start.
The cloning can be done off any recognized key so that when you use different keys the immobilizer thinks its the same key, and the stealership can cut the notches required so you can unlock your trunk and such.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 AM

I recently had a similar issue when doing an Auto-Manual Swap. Any competant honda dealearship with a PGM Tester can program the immobilizer with a new key, reguardless of having an existing working key, or "training" key. As for cutting the key, it's best to have a key onhand that will turn the ignition, but they can look up the key from the car's VIN, as long as you have the stock ignition in the car. As for removing the immob, I would strongly advise you not to. The Immobilizer is the one thing that makes our cars (5th gen preludes) un-stealable. Without it, anyone with a bit of know-how can hotwire the car.

V/r,
Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: (TheJGB3)

yo slamdlude can you give me some better explanation of how i can make me a third master key for my 00 accord,
its got the same junk and preludes...

i can tell ya that i do have 2 original working master keys, i also have a brand new/virgin chipped honda key that has only been cut but not programmed to anything that works to crank the motor and open doors, And i also have a brand new unopened genuine "Red Learning Key"

so how can i get that one new key i had cut to work to run the car using the learning key, fo free (the honda dealership parts guy is cool and will cut keys for me fo free, but wouldnt program it for free)

sorry bout bringing this back from the dead but i couldnt manage to PM slamdlude from my phone internets
Old 07-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Immobilizer Key Question?

Originally Posted by Crash_Control
The differance between the valet and the regular key is the notching for the mechanical portion of the lock.
With a valet key you shouldn't be able to unlock the trunk or glove box, but still be able start and move the car.
Both types of keys will have the transponder chip in them so the immobilizer will allow the car to start.
The cloning can be done off any recognized key so that when you use different keys the immobilizer thinks its the same key, and the stealership can cut the notches required so you can unlock your trunk and such.
He hit it on the head. You may be able to get off without paying labor for programming. Some Honda and Acura keys are what we call T5 keys, which the chip can be cloned and re-written onto a T5 without using the HDS system they use in the shop. If they can use a T5 key it takes but only 1 minute behind the parts counter for the key machine to read the current key's chip "code" and duplicate it onto the T5. Just ask your dealer if it's possible to use a T5, the parts guys should know what your talking about. Go directly to parts or service will try to rape you on extra labor time. If and only if a T5 can be used. Hope this makes sense.