Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Speaker Size Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker Size Question.

I just bout a Alpine CDA-9883 model for mt 93 integra sedan.

Question?
What size speakers will fit the front left and right doors of a 90-93 Integra Sedan, LS?

My stock speakers are cracking and the bass is already out the window, I need to upgrade and can u guys recommend any speakers that have great clarity?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Speaker Size Question. (SIRIUS VTEC)

Your G2 takes a standard 6.5" speaker, [not to be confused with an over-sized 6.5" speaker] with a 2" or less mounting depth, without any mods, you can install up to a 2.75" deep speaker by cutting a hole for the magnet in the back of the stock plastic speaker housing, and up to 3" with the use of a depth reducer/spacer and cutting the hole.

A spacer/adapter can be used if you need to install an over-sized 6.5" speaker, however replacing the stock plastic speaker housing with a custom MDF speaker plate is a better way to go.

With a custom MDF speaker plate you can install up the a 7" speaker with a mounting depth of no more then 2.5". 94
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you very much, sir. I am very appreciative of the your information and response. I'll give it a couple days and try to find the speakers first then look for the mdf speaker plate. Can you recommend any other company who makes a good speaker plate?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, Not to conjest this thread. Now make a new one. What is the difference between a 2-way and 3-way speaker?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (SIRIUS VTEC)

2 Way speakers are generally a component system consisting of a mid (6.5, 5.25, 4) and a tweeter. A 3 Way system consist of three speakers. Maybe a 6.5, 4, and tweeter. The crossover will provide a wider range of frequency's to the different speakers. My old BMW had a stock three way system, so it was nice... but most cars only have a midrange and a tweeter unless you want to create a third custom location.

Josh B.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of Curiousty, not to overwelhm you all with questions. Better to get it directly from you all rather than confuse myself even more. BTW, I enjoy learning about this, so this thanks goes a long way.

So the question is, Since i dont have any tweeters in my integra. What's an ideal replacement for the stocks? 2-way or 3-way or is there an alternative to 2 or 3-way that works better for a car without tweeters?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (SIRIUS VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIRIUS VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Can you recommend any other company who makes a good speaker plate?</TD></TR></TABLE> No company I know of makes custom MDF speaker plates, too many cars and models and to may diff. size speakers, we make our own to fit the speaker we are installing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIRIUS VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, Not to conjest this thread. Now make a new one. What is the difference between a 2-way and 3-way speaker?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A 2way is a speaker, [any size] with a tweeter mounted in the center of the woofer/mid-range, a 3way is a speaker that has a tweeter and a "super tweeter" mounted in the center of the woofer/mid-range, both can also be called "multi-element speaker or coaxial/triaxial with the latter, [3way] being nothing more then a marketing gimmick.
The above are not to be confused with 2way and 3way systems ,[also called component speakers] as explained by jbibler.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIRIUS VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the question is, Since i dont have any tweeters in my integra. What's an ideal replacement for the stocks? 2-way or 3-way or is there an alternative to 2 or 3-way that works better for a car without tweeters?
Thanks in Advance.</TD></TR></TABLE> with a multi-element speaker stick with a 2way, if you want a component system then either a 2way or 3way will work, [the 3way not being a marketing gimmik].

In your case, being new to car audio and the installation of a system and the fact your car does not have stock tweeter locations I will suggest something in between, a "point source" speaker, the ones I am installing in my 94 LS, to replace the 6.5" 2way coax I have now..

http://www.eclipse-web.com/point/sp6500.html they will fit the stock speaker housings, [even mounting holes will line up] all that need to be done is a hole for the magnet needs to be cut out in the back of the housing, [2-1/4" deep] a direct mount in the rear, with the added advantage of being able to remove the tweeter from the mid-range and remotely mount them or just to remove them from the rear set of speakers, [for best SQ you do not want tweeters behind you].

This speaker sounds best with at least 50W-75W RMS going to them but sound unbelievable with a 4x100W into 4 ohms amp driving them. 94