Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vortex generators......?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortex generators......?

obviously mitsubitshi uses these on thier 06 evoIV MR but for what reason...... i mean i have done some reading on them and the gains seem miniscule, for ex.

"In areas where the body transitions at a rate of more than 12 degrees, turbulator strips, vortex generators, diffusers, very short fairings or other devices can be used to "trip the airflow".
The idea is that areas like the transition between the roof and rear window on the average car creates a large vortex. Any large vortices effectively grab the car and try to hold it back as it tries to slip through the air. If the air that makes up the vortex can be "tripped" before it leaves the back of the car, it will make smaller vortices, which will have a smaller effect on the overall aerodynamics of the vehicle. Measurement of the effects of these devices at highway speeds has been difficult to obtain."

so this is mostly for aesthetic purposes im guessing, has anyone used these yet on thier civic..? i would like to see some pictures of them installed. BTW, the reason this caught my attention was because there was a vendor's advertissment at the bottom of this web page.

?

Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: vortex generators......? (akunamatta)

Every bit of streamlining helps, but its impossible to make just one unit for every car, the unit would have to be designed for that cars body style. As for the gains, they would be miniscule, you would get better gas mileage running a more fuel efficient tire than you would buying those.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: vortex generators......? (slowcivic2k)

yea i have read on gas saver type forums that people use these to reduce drag for increased MPG.

maybe i will get some and stick them somewhere..... and if i dont like the way they look i can take them off.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: vortex generators......? (akunamatta)

if you are putting them on an eh2 i dunno where it would look good or help..

there isn't really a point where it could really help and look good at the same time..

cause the lines of the car just don't allow it to happen...

unless you have a wind tunnel.. u can't really see where drag is being generated in the back of an eh2..

and once you are worrying about drag reduction.. you would've already exhausted all your other mods.. like fight drag with pure power, suspension, tires.. and then creating down force for more grip and stability during high speed driving and turning.. and then finding a compromise between high grip in corners or higher top end speed...

once u reach a certain speed the car can feel squirmy because there isn't enough down force to apply more traction and stability....

ever play gt4 and fully mod out a car in hp.. then take it on the test track loop and it feels squirmy on the stretch.. then add a wing and some down force and your back to it feeling natural.. its that.. but in real life... so you don't need it.. cause who reaches those insane speeds of 150 plus in a civic.. daily... ?