Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

How to fix CEL code#9 cylinder sensor??

Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix CEL code#9 cylinder sensor??

I have an CEL on my 94 GSR.
I checked/jump the ecu and it was code#9 cylinder sensor or something like that,
What is causing it? and how do I fix it??
Old 10-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to fix CEL code#9 cylinder sensor?? (HATCHingMN)

anybody know what code# 9 is???
and what it does??
Old 10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i am not mistaken it is in the dizzy. i am not sure tho. can someone verify this?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (advert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by advert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i am not mistaken it is in the dizzy. i am not sure tho. can someone verify this?</TD></TR></TABLE>
my dizzy recently making noises so that might be the problem....but what exactly causing it?? do I need a new one or can I fix it??
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am trying to think back. i know i busted some sensor in there but i am not sure what it was. i think it was that. but anyways what happend to mine is the screw fell of the cap and got wedged in between in and the cap and dug a hole in.. i dont think you can replace it. i had another dizzy around so i just threw it on.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:58 PM

wow, how many times am going to have to post this..

its the cyp sensor, cylinder posistion sensor

PURPOSE
To determine ignition timing at start-up, position of #1 cylinder for sequential fuel injection, and normal timing for fuel injection and ignition of each cylinder and also detects engine RPM.

OPERATION
The Engine Control Module (ECM) uses these signals to determine fuel injector and ignition timing and to calculate engine RPM.

The Top Dead Center (TDC) sensor signal is used to determine ignition timing at engine start-up. This signal is also used as a backup signal in the event the Cylinder Position (CYP) sensor signal becomes abnormal.

The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor determines timing for fuel injection and ignition timing of each cylinder and detects engine speed.

The Cylinder Position (CYP) sensor generates a signal based on the position of the number #1 cylinder for proper timing of the sequential fuel injection system for all cylinders.

CONSTRUCTION
All three sensors are pickup coil and reluctor construction. The sensors cannot be serviced separately.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JH4DC4-2GSR)

OK,... I understand that I need an new dizzy.
Can it cause any damage to the engine if I keep on driving like this??
I dont notice any changes in engine performance, only a CEL turn ON when driving for 5-10 minutes. The CEL went away after I shut the enigne off and it repeat when I drive again.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (HATCHingMN)

Reset the ECU and see if it comes back just like JH4DC4-2GSR said too.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tequilakid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tequilakid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reset the ECU and see if it comes back just like JH4DC4-2GSR said too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes, it comes back.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HATCHingMN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK,... I understand that I need an new dizzy.
Can it cause any damage to the engine if I keep on driving like this??
I dont notice any changes in engine performance, only a CEL turn ON when driving for 5-10 minutes. The CEL went away after I shut the enigne off and it repeat when I drive again.</TD></TR></TABLE>
still need help?? anyone?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump because i am throwing the same code#9 in my LS swap hatch. can i drive my car lets say 50 miles to the shop or will something happen? or whats the worse that can happen if i rev my engine to redline will i run lean and blow the engine thanks!!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Follow that trouble tree and you should be set!
Old 07-24-2022, 04:12 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Yambor
wow, how many times am going to have to post this..

its the cyp sensor, cylinder posistion sensor

PURPOSE
To determine ignition timing at start-up, position of #1 cylinder for sequential fuel injection, and normal timing for fuel injection and ignition of each cylinder and also detects engine RPM.

OPERATION
The Engine Control Module (ECM) uses these signals to determine fuel injector and ignition timing and to calculate engine RPM.

The Top Dead Center (TDC) sensor signal is used to determine ignition timing at engine start-up. This signal is also used as a backup signal in the event the Cylinder Position (CYP) sensor signal becomes abnormal.

The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor determines timing for fuel injection and ignition timing of each cylinder and detects engine speed.

The Cylinder Position (CYP) sensor generates a signal based on the position of the number #1 cylinder for proper timing of the sequential fuel injection system for all cylinders.

CONSTRUCTION
All three sensors are pickup coil and reluctor construction. The sensors cannot be serviced separately.

why would you need to replace the dizzy housing. What causes the housing to go bad. I made it to step 10 and it says I need a new housing? Any help is appreciated
Old 07-25-2022, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: How to fix CEL code#9 cylinder sensor??

the housing eventually fails due to the rotor bearing disintegrating (look for the tell tale red dust inside) plus the internal wiring insulation also bites the dust. i went with the api distributor from partsgeek and swapped in a ntk coil and nec icm (the latter was a very lucky find on ebay).